Server Status (outdated)

[quote name='FireRibs' timestamp='1340404171' post='59539']
DING, -7 more rep for me, keep em coming. By your own admission Rolo server was down 30 minutes after you went to work.
Now lets say you work a 12 hour shift which implies it took you 6 hours after work to realise that server was off, am I correct?
[/quote]

Reported. Hope you get a timeout. We don't do things this way around these parts.

[quote name='FireRibs' timestamp='1340403519' post='59534']
Thank you, my point exactly just because its free then we are not allowed to criticize is that it :P
[/quote]
Criticize yes, trolling.. no

[quote name='FireRibs' timestamp='1340404171' post='59539']
DING, -7 more rep for me, keep em coming. By your own admission Rolo server was down 30 minutes after you went to work.
Now lets say you work a 12 hour shift which implies it took you 6 hours after work to realise that server was off, am I correct?
[/quote]

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you"

[quote name='FireRibs' timestamp='1340403519' post='59534']
Thank you, my point exactly just because its free then we are not allowed to criticize is that it :P
[/quote]

After the reports, I reviewed your posting here. I have a response for you, one you're not going to like very much. Remember this very carefully, downtime happens. Get over it.

You went without playing, that's nice, many people here have done it before. I just worked from 6am until now (11:12pm) so let me tell you, it is possible to work 18 hours. It may not be common, but it does happen.

Now that being said, there are only 4 of us who have the knowledge and ability to debug/restart that server, until you personally pay all 4 of our salaries and make it worth our time so we don't have to work full time jobs to support our families in addition to feeding your addiction to this game, your opinion is absolutely irrelevant when it comes to downtime and I mean that.

Hope that helps your viewpoint. If you don't want to wait, quit, if you like the game stay. We want you to, but I will not allow you to throw a pissfit on our forums regarding developers and their availability. You either pay their salary to work full time or you wait patiently like all the rest.

That is all.
  • Upvote 4

Alright guys, take it easy. There is no need to inspect someone's life as to why they were not tending the server. Some people do check every time they can and fix it when possible. Some don't have the means and some have hectic and busy lives (or days).

The goal is not to get the server up ASAP. The goal is to find out why the server crashed, and fix it. If it were as simple as restarting the server, and automatic process could do it. Then again, if things went that way the bug would either not be fixed, or be much more difficult to find. What is to say that the unfixed bug doesn't wreck havoc some other way and corrupt some data?

I know we don't want that. :)

Also, an earlier post by FireRibs did bring up a good point - it is generally polite to explain why you are voting someone down, and not because you are angry at them or decide you don't like them and subsequently vote every other post by them down.
  • Upvote 2

[quote name='STRETTCH' timestamp='1340426029' post='59574']
so I'm guessing server is down, and this is not a problem with my launcher
[/quote]

I just logged in with no problem, Server Is Up.

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1340425752' post='59573']
[url="http://www.net-7.org/"]http://www.net-7.org/[/url] is returning the following:
[b] Not Found[/b]

HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.
[/quote]

Confirmed down for me as well.

Kyp: Well said, and thank you for saying it. As somebody who has taken care of stuff online for other people for years, I know exactly what it's like to get bitched at for doing a job that people apparently merely expect you to do, as if it was their due.

FireRibs: Shut the bloody hell up. Please. You actually are grilling a dev on what he or she is doing with their [i]personal[/i] time? Excuse me? Who the hell are you to even [i]ask[/i] such inherently insulting questions? I can tell you that if I was a dev, and you were grilling me on [i]my[/i] personal life in public like that, I'd have kicked you out on your ass. You may not like that the server was down all day, but that's tough. Post something funny to ease the wait and do something else for a while. I did. Frankly, as somebody who has been on the receiving end of that kind of crap for years now, I think you should count yourself lucky that you're even here. If this was Second Life, and you were bitching on [i]my[/i] sim about the way that I spend [i]my[/i] private time with friends and family, I'd have banned your ass. Hell, I'd have banned it and muted you so I wouldn't have to listen to you complain.

You crossed the line. Legitimate criticism is fine, but you went [i]way[/i] out there. You might as well have been [i]demanding[/i] a breakdown of a dev's morning routine, their work routine, what they were doing every second of the day, and their actual [i]reasons[/i] for living a life outside of your game time. You sounded like a frigging inquisitor. I was going to bitch you out last night, but I was so tired with working all morning, all day, and all night on learning Objective-C that I didn't want to bother. But this morning, after reading over your venomous tripe once more, I can't resist the bloody urge.

Next time, if you have to ask somebody something about their daily routine, don't be such an insulting jackass about it. By the way, I don't think I even voted you down yesterday while you were moaning and complaining about it. I'm new to the boards. But I'm not new to online communities. You deserve more than a vote down, sir.
  • Upvote 3

I understand that there is some frustration, but I say " Let a Lying Dog Lay "

The Server IS up, and for those who are getting an error now - try re-installing the Net7 Launcher and see if that fixes your problem.

I have heard of people getting around our login server setup, when the actual play server is still running.

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1340511826' post='59614']
[url="http://www.net-7.org/"]http://www.net-7.org/[/url] and login server both are denying access.
[/quote]
Ok, I thought it was me.
Well see ya'll in one week gone fishing.

[quote name='Savanna' timestamp='1340428370' post='59578']
Kyp: Well said, and thank you for saying it. As somebody who has taken care of stuff online for other people for years, I know exactly what it's like to get bitched at for doing a job that people apparently merely expect you to do, as if it was their due.

FireRibs: Shut the bloody hell up. Please. You actually are grilling a dev on what he or she is doing with their [i]personal[/i] time? Excuse me? Who the hell are you to even [i]ask[/i] such inherently insulting questions? I can tell you that if I was a dev, and you were grilling me on [i]my[/i] personal life in public like that, I'd have kicked you out on your ass. You may not like that the server was down all day, but that's tough. Post something funny to ease the wait and do something else for a while. I did. Frankly, as somebody who has been on the receiving end of that kind of crap for years now, I think you should count yourself lucky that you're even here. If this was Second Life, and you were bitching on [i]my[/i] sim about the way that I spend [i]my[/i] private time with friends and family, I'd have banned your ass. Hell, I'd have banned it and muted you so I wouldn't have to listen to you complain.

You crossed the line. Legitimate criticism is fine, but you went [i]way[/i] out there. You might as well have been [i]demanding[/i] a breakdown of a dev's morning routine, their work routine, what they were doing every second of the day, and their actual [i]reasons[/i] for living a life outside of your game time. You sounded like a frigging inquisitor. I was going to bitch you out last night, but I was so tired with working all morning, all day, and all night on learning Objective-C that I didn't want to bother. But this morning, after reading over your venomous tripe once more, I can't resist the bloody urge.

Next time, if you have to ask somebody something about their daily routine, don't be such an insulting jackass about it. By the way, I don't think I even voted you down yesterday while you were moaning and complaining about it. I'm new to the boards. But I'm not new to online communities. You deserve more than a vote down, sir.
[/quote]

Thank you Savanna, for your most enlightening post. Now fasten your seat belt, it would appear that I insulted you more than Rolo, now as for the matter of public life and private life, the devs and anyone else involved in the development of this EMU know (should know) that they are public figures and they are prone to public scrutiny, just like politicians when they do a good job they don't get praised and when they do a bad job I am the only one screaming murder.
These people have been doing a good job for years and they need to be told when they suck, because by doing so we show them the error of their ways, if server goes down for 24 hours and no one says anything then they think it's okay, next time its down for 48 hours ahhh well its fine, you know why because none of you will complain.
I appreciate the work done on this project just like everyone else, truth be told if something is not right then someone should speak up, there are a lot of glitches in the game which I hope are reported in the bug tracker and there is a whole lot of people complaining about lack of content, the ones running the bots and leaving because of lack of content are doing more harm than my comments and the one enjoying the glitches are ruining it even further. The day this game goes live I will be one of the people paying for a subscription, has it ever occurred to you that sooner or later we are going to have to pay for this, that it will no longer be a donation system?
And I would love to see how you react then then when the server is offline for 24 hours.
Evidently my comments offended a lot of people and I don't care because I said what I thought at the time. Now I did ask for no vulgar language as I did not use it in my comments.
Just for the record I appreciate the work that is being done here, and as for T.P.T.B you need to be told when you miss a step, that way you would be the better because of it!!!
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

[quote name='FireRibs' timestamp='1340575355' post='59629']

Evidently my comments offended a lot of people and I don't care because I said what I thought at the time.
[/quote]

I like this analogy .. think I will use it.
Fireribs, the only thing that will clear your clouded judgement on any of these issues is a big ole' ban hammer right upside your head.
[i][b]GALI[/b][/i]

Just a point to corerct you on Fireribs, The EMU will always be donation, even once we release 'Live'. If we try to make money from the game EA will come down on us like a ton of bricks and close us down.
The Guys and Gals who are the devs donate of their own time because they enjoy doining it. They also have their own life which can mean they are away from the game for weeks at a time. swe are also spread all over the world, which means, at times, the server will not be monitored. When the server crashes in a Stress Test we will not always just re-start it. sometime we need to investigate the cause. We have had downtimes of over 3 days in the past while various Devs(mainly Teinbeau) have worked on the problem. Most of the time we will get it back up and running withing a few hours.
As for the Dev being public figures, no they are not. Many of them are not even known by the comunity. Those that are chose to help, but if people start delving into their prreivate lives, which are just that, PRIVATE, then they may just disappear. MPs, Film stars and the like get paid to be in the public eye, we do not. By all means scutinise the time that we spend on the EMU, but remember that our lives outside of the EMU are ours and ours alone.

Rolo
  • Upvote 2

[quote name='FireRibs' timestamp='1340575355' post='59629']
...These people have been doing a good job for years and they need to be told when they suck, because by doing so we show them the error of their ways, if server goes down for 24 hours and no one says anything then they think it's okay, next time its down for 48 hours ahhh well its fine, you know why because none of you will complain....[/quote]

You sir are a troll, pure and simple.
  • Upvote 3

"when this goes subscription"

[img]http://snarkcriticpop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/star-trek-double-facepalm-picard-riker.jpg[/img] Edited by Ryle
  • Upvote 1

I agree that leaders in any community need to know when they may not be handling things well. However, in telling said leaders that they aren't doing well, you need to be as constructive as possible. FireRibs, I understand your point, but the way you bring it across makes you sound like the Devs couldn't care less about your concerns (which is clearly wrong) and that you have nothing better to do than play EnB Emu all day. It may not be what you intend, but that is how you come across, and I suggest changing your methods. Insults don't help any situation.

As for the server, I've had a bit of consistent lag since the login server has been up. That could be the server itself, but it could also be my own internet connection.

This thread is for [u]"Server Status"[/u] concerns and not a place to debate wether or not we are doing what is expected of us.

If someone doesn't put an end to this [u]"Time Comsuming"[/u] thread soon, I will. I feel all points have been made.

This is my last post on this issue, thank you Amelea I will try to follow your advice in the future, to everyone else no harm intended, I just have a "funny" way of raising issues as I have learned from this thread. Nuff said, if you have something to say to me I will be in Antares. And if you have nothing to say to me I will still be in Antares B)
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is anyone else having issues with Net-7.org? When I try to go to the website, my internet provider automatically takes me to a search page, as if the Net-7.org site no longer exists? Also, the little signature bars with character names and stats are not showing up for me either.