Sick of it

Sry i do not do this normaly but i got to say it. I am really getting sick of People whining about there char got black holed or oh i got a ton of debt or telling the Dev's GM's or anyone how things should go.

Inless you are a programer or IT of some kind and want to help and be on the team then play the game help report bugs and be happy. This is Alpha stage. The people that run this are being kind enough to put out a test server to play on and you should be thankful for this. I myself took damage on items and got a ton of debt last night. The Dev's GM's were stressing the server and trying to brake it to see what issues they do or can have. There are reasons for things that are done and you may not know or understand why. Just go with it and remember there will be a wipe at some point and your work will be gone, so there is no need to stress out or get upset about somthing that is in Alpha stage. IT HAPPENS!!

Dev's Gm's Beta anyone that has put into this keep up the good work and do what you think is correct. You are doing this for free no one is paying you so you do not deserve the whining and complaining.

Note this is not directed to anyone just stating facts and my thoughts.

If the admin wants to delete it because it might be to harsh sorry but i had to get it out.

/Rant off

None of that is an excuse to give people unpleasant surprises in the forum of instant death and large XP debt.

If devs wanted to test something they should have told us so we could either help or know what the hell is going on.

Well said, I for one am sick of the Dev worship that is going on. They are human NOT gods. They are working on something that we all enjoy playing, but I refuse to open a vein for them. I have thanked them, donated, and may so again. But I will NOT blindly defend them when what they have done is wrong…no matter how you cut it. It takes no time to post what is going on.

I am going to put lvl 66 mobs in all the starting areas. If you don’t want to get your character wiped out please don’t log in from this day to that.

Easy and would go a long way.

Oh and how they use the donations is their business. If they choose to keep it to pay for fees 3 years in the future instead of paying themselves well who am I to tell them differently. I can tell you that under the current state I will NOT donate.

While I agree fully that this is an alpha and no one should have any expectation of normal gameplay or even continuity of their characters, it is not an efficient use of resources--i.e. us--to do stress tests, bug tests, or any other sort of tests in this manner. If they were indeed trying to overload the server they could have as easily used level 1 mobs. The fact that they did not do so suggests they were simply having fun, maybe testing some sort of mob-dropping tool. There's nothing wrong with that but it would indeed be more productive to let people know what to expect.

I'm not going to get upset about it. I just squeezed by the evil mobs, said "pardon me, thank you" and went somewhere out-of-the-way and mined... and I passed through Saturn twice with mobs all about to get there. :) If I had been ganked at Saturn and could not fix my tactical situation, I would have just logged on with other characters until I found something to do. :)

Players give of their free time to play/test. Devs give of their free time to create. There has to be a mutual respect for that on both sides :D Fortunately, EnB seems always good as a type of game to build people up to be better & work together rather than destroy relationships. This is a tough time, though, for both players & devs - a stress test, a big crash, new site. Both sides have to do their part to see us through stronger.

• Upvote 1

Did a Dev even do what everyone is accusing us Devs of doing? We do have others who are not Devs with this type of ability.

- Marco

I don't have that ability. So what you are saying there are players that can spawn lvl 66 mobs? Great... so let's find this Non-Dev and at the least take away his/her Non-Dev abilities.

Did a Dev even do what everyone is accusing us Devs of doing? We do have others who are not Devs with this type of ability.

- Marco

ummm I don't know, you tell us lol. So in other words it wasn't planned and probably just someone playing around with the server..? Your system doesn't keep logs of who is doing what? You should probably consider limiting access to such abilities, at least the ones that initiate server wide changes etc.

"Hey, I got a question! When will there be a wipe?"

Seriously, if I see that question one more time in the chat ingame I think I'll vomit. :)

People take this way too serious and worry too much. So what if you got an xp debt?

I'm not a fanboy. I'm not saying the devs are flawless; a tad more communication wouldn't hurt. But really, just chill and enjoy the game. If there is something happening that you dont want to be a part of, log off. It's that simple.

//Wex

ummm I don't know, you tell us lol. So in other words it wasn't planned and probably just someone playing around with the server..? Your system doesn't keep logs of who is doing what? You should probably consider limiting access to such abilities, at least the ones that initiate server wide changes etc.

I have been wanting to do an account wipe to clean out all those hidden accounts. After all, there is 8000+ accounts.

- Marco

"Hey, I got a question! When will there be a wipe?"

Seriously, if I see that question one more time in the chat ingame I think I'll vomit. :)

//Wex

I am still wondering when everyone will ever figure out where Admiral Herrera is :lol:

I have been wanting to do an account wipe to clean out all those hidden accounts. After all, there is 8000+ accounts.

- Marco

orrr query the database? Typically each account has a permissions field of some sort, so you would query for all that have those permissions (often defined by faction). Of course event logs are something else, and I'm not sure how you/they manage GM+ slash commands. Typically a log is recorded onto the server, but I don't know the specifics of this particular server system. When I say limit, I mean by tiers, as in most GM support only need the slash commands to assist players/testers when they get stuck or something. Too many people with administration privileges cause confusion when things suddenly start go awry in-game. There should always be accountability when using certain slash commands, and it should be a rare privilege for just a limited number of the support team members, imo.

If it is necessary to wipe all accounts to make sure that people don't have special permissions that shouldn't then you have a bad system.

That currently is irritating me at the moment is noone seems to know what is going on and who actually did what. Was this a badly planned and executed test of some sort, or was it a person abusing their powers?

Well there was one GM online at the time P0007 who was yelling death to all players in general chat. He Seemed like a pretty funny guy and that the whole event was planned. It be hard to believe the rights of a single person would go under the radar like that however. And if he wasn't the one that caused it, why didn't he unspawn them?

Seriously though. Getting annihilated by Marco's avatar the Dev killer was hilarious. I would love a Game Players VS GM and Devs battle from time to time.

If it is necessary to wipe all accounts to make sure that people don't have special permissions that shouldn't then you have a bad system.

That currently is irritating me at the moment is noone seems to know what is going on and who actually did what. Was this a badly planned and executed test of some sort, or was it a person abusing their powers?

The account wipe is not just for permissions, there are 8000+ accounts registered, including test accounts etc.

There are account names that are no longer used from previous stress tests etc.

These need to be cleared down.

orrr query the database?

That sounds like a good idea. Hopefully that would be something they plan on doing. As far as the acct wipe is concerned. I do it with my wow pserver's DB every 3 months or so to clear accounts and release chars and char names from said accounts that have been inactive for 4+ months.

They could do something like that here instead of wiping the entire account DB. (I do hope that wasn't what was planned lol )

Well there was one GM online at the time P0007 who was yelling death to all players in general chat. He Seemed like a pretty funny guy and that the whole event was planned. It be hard to believe the rights of a single person would go under the radar like that however. And if he wasn't the one that caused it, why didn't he unspawn them?

That is a good question.

-Perhaps he didn't know about them?

-Didn't think he had permission to despawn? (Someone higher up the food chain could have been working on/with something for some testing purposes)

Not sure. However lets not point fingers and blame the blame game. Important thing here is the server was able to handle all that commotion. Weather it was planned or not, the server did fine. And the mobs are gone (I hope) and all is well within the galaxy once more.

That sounds like a good idea. Hopefully that would be something they plan on doing. As far as the acct wipe is concerned. I do it with my wow pserver's DB every 3 months or so to clear accounts and release chars and char names from said accounts that have been inactive for 4+ months.

They could do something like that here instead of wiping the entire account DB. (I do hope that wasn't what was planned lol )

That's a viable solution since these are not paid accounts. Something between 3-6 months. Even if it currently does not stamp last active, if they implement a last active field then in 3-6 months the DB will get much slimmer :)

There should be a table that tracks the last time the user logged in. By simply setting your query to bring up everyone that has not logged in for a specific amount of time you can easily remove older/unused accounts.

I totally support the original poster. At no point is a tester anywhere close to the level of a Dev. The Dev team must be able to do whatever they need to do to get the game to a state that they intend it to be. Testers have zero rights....you are donating your time. Further more if a "tester" is not testing, is not writing up bugs, or is causing issues with other testers (disseminating incorrect info, harassing players, violating the tos, etc) they can and should be removed. Games are not a democracy. At no point can a Dev be held responsible for testing new content and not alerting testers....that's the whole point.

As far as the "player" with incorrect rights that "may" have caused this...guess what? It's a valid test. It makes the Dev team aware that they need to either automate, regularly check, or simply remove old accounts. In fact it is good that it occurred. The bad part was all of the bitching and moaning. That doesn't help anyone. Let the Dev team know the issue, give them all your information, and then get on with testing the game. Getting killed 30 times outside of a star-base that you know has a very high level mob is testing.....for the first 10 kills....after that you are being a crappy tester.

And one last thing for those that think testers should have equal weight as a Dev. There are a ton of testers......you not testing the game will not stop it's progression. If a Dev leaves/doesn't do their work/is a pain in the ass it will effect the progression of the game. If you really need a good analogy it is like a sports fan yelling at a coach for making what they consider a bad call......your bitching doesn't help them do their job and in fact can harm it. How much time you spend "helping" the team matters not at all.