Can jumpstart be fixed to work like it did in Live?

jrichards

With a max level JS, or even a JS that's more that 4 levels above the toon being JS'd it should never fail.  I can understand a fail if the toon is level 50 CL and the player's JS is only level 4 but failing when you have max JS and the toon is CL 0 (OL 20) is just stupid.

This is a key skill for explorers and I can say it doesn't seem to be tied in player level or skill level at all.  Is it just a random 'player has a 30% chance of succeeding' skill?

There are devices out there that cut down the time needed to Jumpstart. There are also devices out there that add levels to the Jumpstart skill. I also willing to bet that you fine pilots have tried them, yes?

From drydock at NET-7 SOL, this is the Pakkrat Edited by Pakkrat

There are devices out there that cut down the time needed to Jumpstart. 

Can you give me the name of such device because i dont find any and would like to lookup something.

I see that the Tactical Advantage Omega has a Jumpstart (Equip) that improves jumpstart implementation time by 50%. Since I'm at work, I haven't had the time to look up the one that adds levels to Jumpstart skill.

From the technical archives of NET-7 SOL, this is the Pakkrat. Edited by Pakkrat

IIRC this skill was based on the player's JS skill vs the OVERALL level of the player that was incapped.

The reason for this was to increase failure chances of say L1 Jumpstart on larger hulls with huge reactors/cores.

Think of it as trying to JS your car with an iPod. As for failure, maybe you hooked the cables up wrong and shorted out the battery? Nothing is 100% guaranteed.

<evil dev grin> Oooo, there's an idea, maybe a critical failure chance could be added to incap you as well?  </evil dev grin>

There are devices out there that cut down the time needed to Jumpstart. There are also devices out there that add levels to the Jumpstart skill. I also willing to bet that you fine pilots have tried them, yes?

From drydock at NET-7 SOL, this is the Pakkrat

those buffs are found on some beams, but i don't know about any devices

I don't!  By the time you get the highest level jumpstart there should be NO way you would hook the cables up backward.  Highest level should practically guarantee a successful start.

The one with the highest jumpstart skill level with a whining wife (Why did you not check the car before leaving) would sometimes hook the cables backward too!!!!  :-) 

So it is never a guaranteed success!!!!!

Edited by VincentTH

With a max level JS, or even a JS that's more that 4 levels above the toon being JS'd it should never fail.  I can understand a fail if the toon is level 50 CL and the player's JS is only level 4 but failing when you have max JS and the toon is CL 0 (OL 20) is just stupid.

This is a key skill for explorers and I can say it doesn't seem to be tied in player level or skill level at all.  Is it just a random 'player has a 30% chance of succeeding' skill?

IIRC this skill was based on the player's JS skill vs the OVERALL level of the player that was incapped.

The reason for this was to increase failure chances of say L1 Jumpstart on larger hulls with huge reactors/cores.

Think of it as trying to JS your car with an iPod. As for failure, maybe you hooked the cables up wrong and shorted out the battery? Nothing is 100% guaranteed.

<evil dev grin> Oooo, there's an idea, maybe a critical failure chance could be added to incap you as well?  </evil dev grin>

As a reader will see the question was not answered it was reversed somehow, what is being asked is a JSer with full JS should not fail JSing a lower lvl player, but this is happening

<evil dev grin> Oooo, there's an idea, maybe a critical failure chance could be added to incap you as well? </evil dev grin>

You add that, and you won't be getting any JS's from my toons. :unsure: ..and will truely lower the incentive for other JSers to take the risk of mob death to JS you, then run the additional risk the of a failed JS incapping them, why bother at that point?...enjoy the tow :)

<evil dev grin> Oooo, there's an idea, maybe a critical failure chance could be added to incap you as well? </evil dev grin>

You add that, and you won't be getting any JS's from my toons. :unsure: ..and will truely lower the incentive for other JSers to take the risk of mob death to JS you, then run the additional risk the of a failed JS incapping them, why bother at that point?...enjoy the tow :)

What Matt said.  There's always a point where "why bother" comes in.  This would be it for JS.

What Matt said.  There's always a point where "why bother" comes in.  This would be it for JS.

As a PS the JS is one of the first skills I maxed.  If there was a chance that I would get "blowed up" by doing a JS it would quickly be CF'd by the second skill I maxed. :)