Top builders list

Spode

[quote name='Ramses' timestamp='1313228517' post='44678']
So it has been quite some time since the last top builders list.

Possible to have a new one soon?
[/quote]

I agree, it would be nice to see updated.

Sneaky as the advocate should be able to request it from Slayerman. How about it?

I would love to see a builders feature on the database which allowed you to see the whole print list a builder has. Its a nightmare trying to keep track of what prints you have.

Personally I don't think the "top builders" list mean all that much now.

It's much harder to track down where mappable items drop since drop information from the database became obfuscated. New players consequently find it much tougher to gain recipes than it was before that change so it's unlikely the names at the top will have changed much from before. We'll just see the same old names.

And anyway, if the "top builders" are any good they have tracked their own builds and know how many recipes they currently own in each category. If they want to measure and compare e-peens they can send a tell to each other.

It is unfortunate that semantically output quality is determined by number of recipes.

There are may be a better system that isn't dependent on total number of recipes for determining output quality e.g. how many times that that recipe has been built from, each time the item is produced the overall quality of the output could be improved as lessons are learned. However, total number of recipes is the system we are stuck with for the moment.

I would like to see a new type of "top builders" listing - remember guild contributions from live? That was a number that reflected how active the guild member was as a builder - not just building for the guild but also for the market and public. That would of course need the statistic to become tracked in the emulator.
  • Upvote 2

I'm with Lot on this one. Gonna be the same 4 or 5 names at the top of each list as there was last time. Only differences there's likely to be is if Lannister farmed up 10 more recipes to edge out LotTT's spot, or vice versa.

[quote name='Lot' timestamp='1313401260' post='44732']
Personally I don't think the "top builders" list mean all that much now........

If they want to measure and compare e-peens they can send a tell to each other......

I would like to see a new type of "top builders" listing .....
[/quote]

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you read my recent PM about this exact topic. :D

I don't agree with this list anyway, and see it as a double standard. When anyone asks why drops are not listed, the explanation is, "It's part of the game to explore and find things on your own". No problems with that at all.

So, why are builders any different? Should it not also be part of the game to find them too? It's not like there aren't any builders in the game. The ones that want to advertise they build do, it's not a secret and out in the open. As an example, Lann and Vaden have made the decision to be tied to a terminal. No problems with that at all what-so-ever. For most of the community, if not all, it's majorly appreciated and thank them for doing so.

For builders like myself, I build on my own terms if/when I have the time. Other then that, I build for people when no other builders are available and I have the time to do so. Not because some list says I can. Which leads to at least two occasions where, because of this list of builders on the db, I've been PM'd to build something. When I said I couldn't at the moment, I received attitude about it. That's unneeded stress and a privacy problem.

If you feel the need to impress people with numbers, show exactly how many of those builds were actually obtained from personally looting them by that particular individual. Not by, "Buying all looted Level 1-9 items at <station name>, Paying well", which proves nothing except you had a lot of time to do trade runs and nothing else to do with the credits you've accumulated over time.

Also, exclude all items that are purchasable from vendors. These items can be obtained by anyone that wants them at any given time and mean nothing as well.

I'd like to suggest that builder information be blocked on the database in the same manner mob drops are. With a couple of exceptions.

Show build information per account, Allowing only that individual access to build information they have on a specific toon.

Allow that information to be given out as a link (or through the current way to show builders on the db), if and only if that person allows it to be shared publicly.

Otherwise, open up all the information for all to see and do away with the double standard of, We'll show you who can build what, but not where it drops or which mob drops it.
  • Upvote 3

[quote name='Cobra' timestamp='1313425882' post='44737']
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you read my recent PM about this exact topic. :D

I don't agree with this list anyway, and see it as a double standard. When anyone asks why drops are not listed, the explanation is, "It's part of the game to explore and find things on your own". No problems with that at all.

So, why are builders any different? Should it not also be part of the game to find them too? It's not like there aren't any builders in the game. The ones that want to advertise they build do, it's not a secret and out in the open. As an example, Lann and Vaden have made the decision to be tied to a terminal. No problems with that at all what-so-ever. For most of the community, if not all, it's majorly appreciated and thank them for doing so.

For builders like myself, I build on my own terms if/when I have the time. Other then that, I build for people when no other builders are available and I have the time to do so. Not because some list says I can. Which leads to at least two occasions where, because of this list of builders on the db, I've been PM'd to build something. When I said I couldn't at the moment, I received attitude about it. That's unneeded stress and a privacy problem.

If you feel the need to impress people with numbers, show exactly how many of those builds were actually obtained from personally looting them by that particular individual. Not by, "Buying all looted Level 1-9 items at <station name>, Paying well", which proves nothing except you had a lot of time to do trade runs and nothing else to do with the credits you've accumulated over time.

Also, exclude all items that are purchasable from vendors. These items can be obtained by anyone that wants them at any given time and mean nothing as well.

I'd like to suggest that builder information be blocked on the database in the same manner mob drops are. With a couple of exceptions.

Show build information per account, Allowing only that individual access to build information they have on a specific toon.

Allow that information to be given out as a link (or through the current way to show builders on the db), if and only if that person allows it to be shared publicly.

Otherwise, open up all the information for all to see and do away with the double standard of, We'll show you who can build what, but not where it drops or which mob drops it.
[/quote]
+1

I am a bit surprised by people having what seem to be such strong opinions on this.

Taking this, or any other part of the game too seriously is a bad thing. Just a little fun, interesting, way to generate some interest in the building community - we need more active builders.

Besides - the fun generated when Vaden beat Magoo in reactor prints was itself worth the price of admission.

Further this is not a list of whom builds what (that is in my point of view a different topic and discussion), merely a categorylist of how many prints the "best" suppliers have managed to analyze.

I know that after this list was published the first time a lot of builders have made it their goal to try and get as many prints as possible analyzed.

For some it is surely the competition to beat an other builder while for others it is just for personal satisfaction to try and be as complete as possible.

Please remember that most of the players on the list have played the game for a LONG time and there might not be that much to do for them, so this has surely brought new goals and inspiration for some of the "oldtimers". Some of them are pure traders/builders, meaning this is what they do best, this is what makes it a gamewinner for them.

Remember that mmorpg games are played by different type of players, a sucessful game satisfies most of these types. Also, in case some didn't know, in most of these games a lot of players rarely visits forums and when they do it is to look up something specific, not to read through everything that is written there (that is for us forumjunkies). The voices heard on the forums are usually just from a smaller part of the players.

Now in the case of EnB I have no idea how many players visits the forums, but I do believe the percentage is higher than in most live games and thus (hopefully) the DEVs get the feedback they need via the forum and the Advocate.

and finally if not clear, I think it is ok to post top builders list once a month. The discussion if a builders should be visible on Net-7.org is an other topic not bound to this one.

[quote name='Lannister' timestamp='1313493035' post='44764']
I am a bit surprised by people having what seem to be such strong opinions on this.

Taking this, or any other part of the game too seriously is a bad thing. Just a little fun, interesting, way to generate some interest in the building community - we need more active builders.

Besides - the fun generated when Vaden beat Magoo in reactor prints was itself worth the price of admission.
[/quote]

Honestly, as a building enthusiast, the competition/rivalry between the top listed builders, and the constant availability of builder's who have basically every print does more to discourage me from becoming an active builder than anything else. Makes me think "why bother? I'll just save my very limited credits and let the 'top builders' deal with it and just build for myself."

IIRC, builders had to register their build list on the old DB's. This let other players know who built what and implied that they wanted to be a builder.
This is like advertising ones services without just spamming the Market chnl.

Anyone that wanted to remain annonymous could. That has been taken away by the current system. I have no desire or ambition to be known as a builder but have stepped in on several occasions when none of the regular builders seem to be avaiable. I usually PM the player, that's looking for a build, just to keep it discreet.

After that change, I was surprised by being PM'd with a build request moments after I logged in. I did help the player since I hadn't gotten involved in anything else yet. The player informed me that the DB listed me as a builder. I got the impression that he felt I was expected to do the build rather than it being a favor.

Adding a player-selected opt-out option for build listings is like having an unlisted phone number IMO and is a great alternative.

[quote name='Ramses' timestamp='1313495743' post='44765']

Please remember that most of the players on the list have played the game for a LONG time and there might not be that much to do for them, so this has surely brought new goals and inspiration for some of the "oldtimers".
[/quote]

Ok, it's true, I did not play actively when the game was "live". I did play all of ST3 minus the last month. I came back a little after ST4, not able to get my original game names back as they were taken, played about 3 months and took another 10 off and am back again finally. So, I have played for a LONG time as well and always have something to do.

If I want "e-peen' status, I can cite several first's that I can back up through a particular Dev IF he remembers. I doubt he would have forgotten and really doesn't make a difference. Just like this list.

If "oldtimers" need new goals and inspiration, take it to a private forums and not a list that is posted publicly. Or better yet, make a new toon and come up with a strategy that works well with a less then desirable build. That would gain more respect then, "hey, I bought my way to the top of a list".

There are already a multitude of games that one can buy their way to the top. Please don't include EnB to this list.

[quote name='Ramses' timestamp='1313495743' post='44765']
The discussion if a builders should be visible on Net-7.org is an other topic not bound to this one.
[/quote]

As I see it, it's directly bound to this discussion. The "Top Builders" list is generated through a live feed from the server of whom can build what, which is listed publicly.

As I mentioned in my last post, this list shows nothing to do with builders other then how much time they had to do trade runs and how many credits they had to spend on buying items from other players (if they even had to pay for them). "Real builders" [u]find the items themselves[/u] and leave the purchasable items for when and if they are needed and/or are requested to be made. Other then that, they serve no purpose other then an alternate means of having an item until the one you actually want is found. It's like Donald Trump comparing how many Dollar bills he has compared to Bill Gates. It doesn't matter.

[quote name='Lannister']
[/quote]

When privacy is involved, it eliminates the "fun" factor and becomes a serious aspect of the game.

As far as more active builders is concerned, if you mean that you would like more time playing and less time building, that's a choice you made. No one else.

As it is now, there is absolutely no incentive for a new player to build anything other then the personal satisfaction of being able to build an item themselves. High level items cost a ton to build. With the "Top Builders" building items for free, why would anyone even consider building them? If your new, you probably can't afford to build items all day long for free. When trying to help the community and build, when the cost of clicking the build button comes up, you get "never mind, I'll have so-n-so do it for free". How is that helping? It's not, so good luck getting more active builders based on the current system the "oldtimers" have established.

Based on my own personal experience building, I have rarely received any kind of "tip" at all, let alone received what it cost's to build the item. I don't have a problem with that as I'm pretty much set with credits. But, you can see how that would affect ones decision to build "regularly".

Until there is a better established economy, more active builders is a dream.

I myself will never make that list, I started playing only in February so for me that has no value nor have I tried to make it on that list. However I know several others that does, none of them have bought any of the goods as far as I know and if they have what's the big deal.

Who wouldn't buy a print they desperately wanted if they have the money. You must be kind of arrogant saying that one has to loot something to be a "real builder" as you put it. A trader/builder by profession can get what they need in many ways. Why do you think there are marketchannels and auctionhouses in mmorpgs? To show off the epeen what you have looted or a way of selling stuff to the one that needs them may it be manuf or looted. Do you know what a playerdriven economy is? I suggest you head over to EVE and play there for a few years to learn how a "REAL" player driven economy is run and what it takes to actually become a trader OR a manufacturer as that is actually two totally different things.

Further how do you intend to stop the buiyng your way to the top, do you think that will be stopped by not having a top list of builders by category (where you still can not see who builds what).

Top lists can be generated without builders being seen on net-7 so your point being what? If it is privacy then ok I can see from where you are coming, however you could still not see what they build so I don't really see how this is breaking privacy specially if the traders have the opportunity to agree on the fact that their prints can be public as you suggest.

I agree that if builders don't want to have their prints in public it should be removed. Have each player accept if they want it to be public and make the toplist based on that. That wouldn't change a thing now would it? some players would drop of the list but a topbuilder list would still be available, ppl still buying loot to print, same players still building for free, same difficult situation for new builders and so on...What I am trying to say i sthat the situation wouldn't change in any way if you removed the list.

EDIT: Rewrote a major part of post as I did read Cobra's original post wrong. I thought he said he agreed on having builders public by default if mob&loot list was available. As I stated earlier sometimes when frustrated, ppl do mistakes, I really need to buy a some glasses :) Edited by Dakynos
removed quote

First off, I never said anything you quoted me as saying.

I have no anger or suspicion, and I certainly don't think I know it all. If opinions and/or frustrations based on facts provided includes any of that, then I guess I'm guilty.

I'm also not against a top builders list. I just don't agree with the criteria used to generate the results as far as the list itself is concerned.

[quote name='Ramses' timestamp='1313523055' post='44809']

Who wouldn't buy a print they desperately wanted if they have the money. You must be kind of arrogant saying that one has to loot something to be a "real builder" as you put it.
---------------
Do you know what a playerdriven economy is? I suggest you head over to EVE and play there for a few years to learn how a "REAL" player driven economy is run and what it takes to actually become a trader OR a manufacturer as that is actually two totally different things.
---------------
Further how do you intend to stop the buiyng your way to the top, do you think that will be stopped by not having a top list of builders by category (where you still can not see who builds what).
---------------
Top lists can be generated without builders being seen on net-7 so your point being what? If it is privacy then ok I can see from where you are coming, however you could still not see what they build so I don't really see how this is breaking privacy specially if the traders have the opportunity to agree on the fact that their prints can be public as you suggest.
---------------
I agree that if builders don't want to have their prints in public it should be removed. Have each player accept if they want it to be public and make the toplist based on that. That wouldn't change a thing now would it? some players would drop of the list but a topbuilder list would still be available, ppl still buying loot to print, same players still building for free, same difficult situation for new builders and so on...What I am trying to say i sthat the situation wouldn't change in any way if you removed the list.
[/quote]

I'm trying not to sound negative here, but if they are that desperate, go out and find it. Don't post in market "Buying all Level 1-9 items..." to make it on some list, it proves nothing. Also, what you imply is a person looking for a single item, not every item in the game. And that is entirely different.

Arrogant, no. A different perspective of what a "real builder" is in this game, obviously.

---
I do know what a player driven economy is, and I have played Eve. There is no player driven economy in EnB presently and Eve has nothing to do with anything in EnB other then being a space based MMO and having some similarities.

---
I don't intend to stop them. If that is their play style, so be it. I don't agree with it and it's not how I play, but that's my opinion and play style.

My whole point is, being able to see who builds what by default is a concern that should be addressed.

---
You basically answered your own question. The only way to generate a list without using information from the server is by the individual player providing that information. That can then be verified by the devs as accurate and published. I have absolutely no problems with that at all.

If you can't see how this is a privacy issue, then let me explain it. Monkey's can be taught to recognize images. A name on a "top builders" list is, in a sense, an image. This can then be cross referenced on the net-7 db, and through time, every item can be associated with the person that builds it. Not that hard to figure out or understand.

If further explanation is required, let's say you are MrTopBuilder2U [IWIN] with every item able to be manufactured. I'm hAx0rZx11zeroeleventyone. You just became a target. My mojo is strong and if I can get your account, even briefly, my e-peen just past the moon and could probably reach Uranus. No pun intended (or maybe it was).

---
You are correct on the list not changing as it is presently. [u]I am also NOT asking for it to be removed[/u]. However, if this list continues on into the future, it will change. There is not currently a way to block a complete list, thanks to builders per item being available on the db. Which, again, IMO is a privacy issue.

This is how I see a ideal system working:

A builders list that has to be opted into. You choose if you want other players to see what you can build, and what toons names are. That then option is opt out by defualt...if you want others to see what you build you have to opt in.

Based on that opt-in another opt-in is a builders ranking system that some seem to want so bad...it's their own little contest, let them have it, with a opt-in required for that as well.

A independant "dropped by list" that is hide by defualt, and is wiki in nature, requires players to post as to a "sighting" of drop item, that has a spoiler system in place so those that want to see it have to opt-in, but does not require a opt-in to post to (you can give info about what you found to drop an item without everyone seeing who posted info, to forstall you getting /t ed to death in game)

A hide status for log in as default, you need to opt in to release who can see when you log on. (maybe you want guildies to see you on, but not the whole server spamming you, maybe you DON't want guildies to see you on...maybe you aren't in a building mood and intend some intense shhot/loot..whatever) have a optin system so you can set your privacy.

A tool page for builders to consolidate recipes known, across differing toons, allowing them to know with minimal research if they know a recipe or not. And to help them know what toon to log in to build that obscure recipe.

Private chat channels w/pass code requirement so that you can log on incognito and converse with others on that channel to negotiate builds/auctions/raid etc. so as to not defeat the purpose of anonymous log on.

I know thats all a tall order..but one can dream can't they? :)

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1313569385' post='44828']
This is how I see a ideal system working:

A builders list that has to be opted into. You choose if you want other players to see what you can build, and what toons names are. That then option is opt out by defualt...if you want others to see what you build you have to opt in.

Based on that opt-in another opt-in is a builders ranking system that some seem to want so bad...it's their own little contest, let them have it, with a opt-in required for that as well.

A independant "dropped by list" that is hide by defualt, and is wiki in nature, requires players to post as to a "sighting" of drop item, that has a spoiler system in place so those that want to see it have to opt-in, but does not require a opt-in to post to (you can give info about what you found to drop an item without everyone seeing who posted info, to forstall you getting /t ed to death in game)

A hide status for log in as default, you need to opt in to release who can see when you log on. (maybe you want guildies to see you on, but not the whole server spamming you, maybe you DON't want guildies to see you on...maybe you aren't in a building mood and intend some intense shhot/loot..whatever) have a optin system so you can set your privacy.

A tool page for builders to consolidate recipes known, across differing toons, allowing them to know with minimal research if they know a recipe or not. And to help them know what toon to log in to build that obscure recipe.

Private chat channels w/pass code requirement so that you can log on incognito and converse with others on that channel to negotiate builds/auctions/raid etc. so as to not defeat the purpose of anonymous log on.

I know thats all a tall order..but one can dream can't they? :)
[/quote]
All good ideas as far as I can tell, but I'd change to opt in by default. If build requests gets too annoying, you can opt out, but until then I think it would be better to leave it. It gives a wider range of builders which should spread the build requests and help reduce the annoyance factor. I don't mind building for someone if I have the time, but I'm not sure I'd bother opting in for it for all my alts... Not that I have any recipes in demand yet...

[quote name='Knix' timestamp='1313570283' post='44830']
All good ideas as far as I can tell, but I'd change to opt in by default. If build requests gets too annoying, you can opt out, but until then I think it would be better to leave it. It gives a wider range of builders which should spread the build requests and help reduce the annoyance factor. I don't mind building for someone if I have the time, but I'm not sure I'd bother opting in for it for all my alts... Not that I have any recipes in demand yet...
[/quote]
No, I must tell you, it needs to be optout by default, its a privacy issue.

I don't mind building and helping folks, but can attest, there are times you don't want them to know something you can build, some of the upper tier stuff takes hard to get items, or loot only items etc. When your the 1 of only a few that can build something in demand, folks can drive you nuts, even normaly patient builders can be driven to distraction by idiots that won't leave them alone, that it's that other players "right" to your recipe, and if you don't drop whatever your doing and get everything for them they harass you..or on the flip side, you're helping them, but they are so clueless they waste your time needlessly, wither you waiting on them to get to location x for the exchange, or they didn't gather the correct comps/ore in advance etc.

I have a big build list between all my toons, when I see someone needing something, and have been spamming for a while without being helped, and I know one of my toons does it, I will usually log on that toon and help them out. However, there are times when I am only going to be on a limited window, or am involved in something that I don't want interupted. If I had my list opted in by defualt they could look me up and harrass me for a build, and me not wanting to be rude would feel a bit obligated to interupt what I was into and help them, and if I didn't, lets face it, there are Awholes everywere..they would get all pissy.

Why should you ever have to go out of your way to be excluded, it should always be you CHOOSE to be included. So optout default.

Thats one of the reasons I don't join contests or register for stuff on line, or join blog groups etc. becuase some of them feeel it's their right to spam your in box of your email by defualt, that after joining you have to go to some other web page to unjoin notifications, instead of them asking if they can contact you in the first place.

[quote name='Lannister' timestamp='1313245045' post='44682']
I agree, it would be nice to see updated.

Sneaky as the advocate should be able to request it from Slayerman. How about it?
[/quote]
I asked for one and the answer was no, due to players having the rights not to have thier list shown. But I did bring it up as you requested

As the DEVs didn't answer this themselves I assume they are busy implementing the changes to secure that each players privacy stays untouched. This either by making certain things optional or by removing them completly, such as:

1. Builders showing on net-7
2. Notification of players logging in
3. Showing an ID-number instead of players name ingame.
4. Changing the graphics and possible sounds on weapons/buffs/appearance so it is impossible to determine what gear is used by a player.
5. Forcing a recieving player to either agree or disagree to a incoming /t (this to avoid possible harassement of other players for advice, builds, etc)

Now this list could surely be continued, however as I am sure that only point 1 and possibly point 2 will ever be changed it feels unnecessary or maybe I will be surprised.

Maybe the privacy issue was just an excuse to be able to remove something that they didn't want others to see, feel free to use any consipracytheory here.

What do I know about this; NOTHING, I am just posting this to get it off my mind to be able to decide if I should play the game any more or not. Too many things pointing in the wrong direction lately is sadly pushing me away, I keep hoping for changes to keep MY interest in the game, but not much of that lately.

Anyway, this is the end of my rant and I actually feel a bit better already :(
  • Upvote 1

Something else to throw in on top of this dead horse...

This idea may be nothing more to some than a way to stroke one's ego because of the sheer number of prints a builder has. I have witnessed many that are obsessed with getting missing prints, but build nothing to very little for other players.

There a few great exceptions to this, like Lannister (and a few others), who are always at the ready and are willing to help people with their building needs. But there are those who merely collect the prints, and seldom build for even those in their own guilds.

That being said, I don't judge how great a builder is by the number of prints he has, but rather by how he utilizes what he has for the greater good of everyone. Those who help others deserve this recognition a hell of alot more than the collector egomaniacs who only collect prints.

Thanks for reading. :D

[quote name='Overtkill' timestamp='1313871602' post='44973']
Something else to throw in on top of this dead horse...

This idea may be nothing more to some than a way to stroke one's ego because of the sheer number of prints a builder has. I have witnessed many that are obsessed with getting missing prints, but build nothing to very little for other players.

There a few great exceptions to this, like Lannister (and a few others), who are always at the ready and are willing to help people with their building needs. But there are those who merely collect the prints, and seldom build for even those in their own guilds.

That being said, I don't judge how great a builder is by the number of prints he has, but rather by how he utilizes what he has for the greater good of everyone. Those who help others deserve this recognition a hell of alot more than the collector egomaniacs who only collect prints.

Thanks for reading. :)
[/quote]
Having a list more representative of how much someone builds would be nice. Or even do some statistics of equipped items. Some kind of scale could be useful too. A top list of the sum of the vendor value of all the items that someone has equipped grouped on builder for instance. It would probably be a pain to code and heavy to run, but the information is there...

Or a build count could be implented, but then we run the risk of rich people just building and dismantling to boost their numbers....