Why is this game so addicting?

I have played just about every mmorpg out there, but for some reason, I play this game many more hours than any other one I have played. I mean come on, what is it? I mean, it is not the most exciting game, with the long travels to get anywhere to do anything, but I love it.

Could it be the juggling of equipment?
The strange names of the items you get?
The huge learning curve on what to equip and what not to equip?
Strange creatures lurking in space?
The community?
To go where no man has gone before?

Strange how this game pulls you in, at least it does me.

Anyone else that is hooked like this?

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1309525568' post='42826']
Was my first MMORPG, only other one I played was Vendetta Online, during it's beta. If I could be a fictional char in any genre, I'd pick this game.
[/quote]

I have played:
Black Prophecy
Eve
Vendetta Online
Jumpgate
Evochron Legends (More of a multi-player game)
Free lancer
Vega Strike

Not one of those can you customize your actual character and interact with people, only your ship.

i think its all of those
its not hack and slash\
the community is generally very nice and helpfull
there are NO orcs :)
the space scenes are beautifull....

ok who am i kidding...

its MEGAN!!!!!!!

[quote name='Blattu' timestamp='1309564837' post='42842']its MEGAN!!!!!!![/quote]

Someone hit the nail on the head. LOL

I just wished there was more exposure of megan in game. :crycry:

its just so much more addicting than live was since you just want to lvl up your toons at the same time as your main char... and then you keep adding more toons and more toons and then... more toons!

You think you'd stop after your 5th toon, but then you go... oh no... I should have this toon instead so I can have this skill... at 135.

• 3 weeks later...
Exactly like that :) this game has always bin very, very addictive to play and to grow stronger within the game at your character is making it even better

This and Asheron's Call were my favorites. Always liked sci-fi, and AC was really just as much sci-fi as fantasy. The music in this game is just relaxing. I needed that after some of my days.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Vitaes' timestamp='1311448418' post='43553']
This and Asheron's Call were my favorites. Always liked sci-fi, and AC was really just as much sci-fi as fantasy. The music in this game is just relaxing. I needed that after some of my days.
[/quote]

The only three things this game was missing that killed it were:

Lack of any sort of serious PVP, arenas dont count, the community wanted faction warfare.
Players did not really effect the game unlike EVE
No Auction House.. means you can only sell when online, have to meet up with people to do the sale etc.

But all said and done this game had so many awesom elements, a space MMO where we get to fly the ship instead of tell it where to go, aweomse unique land scapes (space scapes), cool storyline, customisable ships and characters, complex economy with a complex build system.

Loved it then, love it now.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Smallyoda' timestamp='1312800240' post='44261']
The only three things this game was missing that killed it were:[/quote]

I will add two other things:

1) The Trade system only really progressed up to level 35, and then you were stuck running trade jobs, or continuing the Mk V runs for middling XP. On top of that, the static nature of the runs, making Somerled-Fenris the only viable option made trade boring, and overcrowded.

2) The Explore system only provided a finite amount of XP, which left four out of the six classes unable to earn Explore XP at all past 25 without grouping. The miner classes could Prospect, but this reduced the XP to the same middling levels as Trade past 35.

I will also add on the subject of PvP that the ships were NOT balanced for one on one combat. Again, the Trade and Explore XP was SUPPOSED to be easier to earn for the non-combat classes, and thus their combat capablities were reduced relative to the Warriors. So while the Warrior classes were relatively balanced in regards to each other, (and the Sentinel could hold his own) all things equal the Progen Warrior would always win a fight, while the Jenquai Explorer pretty much never had any chance.

I liked the arena, and thought it was a good attempt to balance the combat and non-combat capabilities of the classes, but as you say, it was not the faction PvP that the players wanted. That would have had to be balanced around groups, one on one PvP was simply not possible the way the system was designed.

IMO, this is the real reason that the two Trader classes and one Explorer were not released on live, because these two issues made it difficult to level a Trader or Explorer. And it may still cause problems here where those classes have been released. Although I have seen some good posts about ways to revamp trade.

(I suppose I could also add that on live, a faction war between the Progen and Jenquai would probably result in another slaughter like the Gate War. A Progen Warrior and Sentinel against a Defender and Explorer? Do you really think that would be an even fight? :D At least the Terrans would get the tank, which means they'd probably beat everybody else...) Edited by Dragoncove
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Phorlaug' timestamp='1314034895' post='45045']
I'm waiting for Landing dock to be finished for Shakti Pleasure Moon :D
Eight years and counting
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa359/Phorth/Shakti2.jpg
[/quote]

Good one. :D

Not sure how they could go about it, while keeping it tame enough for young eyes.

Hey credit cards require being 18 again, at least in the US (it might be 21, was part of the CARD act.)

We could do like the phone lines and charge by the minute ;P

[quote name='BrixunMortar' timestamp='1314098230' post='45100']
Lmao! wots the phone number again!?
[/quote]
Too bad we can't use ingame sound resources without the risk of aggroing EA. If we'd played Megan, Shakti, and Tada-O Commersial samples to whoever is calling we would get many callers. :D

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1314058642' post='45079']
Hey credit cards require being 18 again, at least in the US (it might be 21, was part of the CARD act.)

We could do like the phone lines and charge by the minute ;P
[/quote]

I got my Infiniti Corp/Shakti card get yours today. :)
[img]http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa359/Phorth/EnBCreditcard.jpg[/img]

• 3 weeks later...
With a graphical update, I think you're right, sadly we've never been able to get the client source and have only figured out enough to make it all run this far; however, we did recently uncover some very old information that we put together about the client and thought that we lost. It might be that new stuff starts happening in that regard fairly soon-ish, we'll see.
  • Upvote 2