When is the emulator going to be ready?

Anyone else here still wondering when the emulator is going to be ready?

Ready as in 'live'.

This is usually a new player question with the cliche answer: ''It's ready when it's ready''.

But I'd like to hint a guess anyway. Gut feeling says early 2013, based on no facts or knowledge.

Anyone else care to guess?

If anything I hope this thread can shed light on what is going to happen untill it is ready because frankly I'm clueless where the emulator is and the wait seems endless.

The wait is nobody's fault ofcourse, because it's ready when it's ready, but when is that?

Major reason for asking is that I'm in very real danger of getting an IRL life and being released from my basement.

The devs could also see this as motivational - if the emulator is ready sooner, the chance that I reproduce is reduced ;)

Ha. ;)

This is a really difficult thing to pin down, but I feel like early 2013 is not a bad estimate. Of course, people probably thought we'd be done by [i]now [/i]a few years back. It could always go more slowly or more quickly based on the state of the community, developers joining and/or leaving the team, and unexpected circumstances such as hardware failures and the like.

We should be calling this shindig an Alpha pretty soon, which is a big milestone in the endless trudge toward completion. Our main concern has been server code up to this point. After we switch to the alpha stage of development, we should be able to start really picking up on real, live-grade content development, and I think the pace of development will seem much faster then. Of course, I can't speak for the content guys, so I could be wrong, but that's what I'm hoping.

The bottom line is: I think 2013 is a good goal for us to be at a "live" or live-like state.
  • Upvote 1

It cannot be pinned down for sure until we're in the beta stages, obviously. Right now, the project file I keep on things looks to be a bit later in the year for Alpha, that's all I'm personally gonna speculate on at this time. It all depends on how motivated staff is to get their jobs done and/or if we find new staff that doesn't mind work and can do what they're assigned to do.

Frequently when we bring people in they're full of all kinds of ideas but the main question you have to ask yourself is "Does this fit the original vision?" every time you have a new idea. This prevents something called [b]feature creep[/b] which has killed so many professional projects that its not even funny. ;)

Byakhee is big on trying to cause feature creep, he has a new ([b]sadistic[/b]) idea every couple of days.
  • Upvote 2

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1301704007' post='38061']
people probably thought we'd be done by [i]now [/i]a few years back.[/quote]In October 2006 a staff member said 6 months till live state. At the time it felt like much :X

I'm sure there is a lot of untapped potential around these forums and beyond...

A lot of other people will agree with me that there is no easy way to see if you can be of any help.

It would be nice if there is a job terminal-like thing that shows possible tasks so people can get an idea what help is needed. It probably already exists but it is too well hidden or not idiot proof to find.

People may also be turned off by having to be a 'developer' to contribute (other than donations) because it gives a sense of commitment - a wall to climb. Are there no 'casual tasks' (writing as a random example) for those that do not feel they can commit frequently but are able to lend the odd hand?

Also, there used to be a progress meter somewhere obsure, as in tasks that were completed were visible. I forgot about it really but can it be somewhere less obsure and not in martian code language so people can look at it to see the clock to completion ticking away?
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Byakhee' timestamp='1301704723' post='38065']
I think if Kyp could cut off my hands, he would.
[/quote]

Nah, seriously, what makes you think i'd settle for hands? ;)

I'm just kidding Byakhee, it's not me you have to watch out for. I don't have to run your missions. ;)

In regards to the writing and other stuff you mention, there's not really that many tasks like this left that don't involve some measure of skill or development, sorry. I mean you can submit anything you find on the game or screenshots or chat logs, but actually writing for missions and such is all you could really do in terms of writing and you might as well be dev if you want to do those things.

In terms of a progress list, the goals are too intangible and don't last long enough to put up a specific list at present. We'll look at doing something when we can though.

LOL...

Man that scene from Airplane, the one with the hysterical woman,pop'd into my head and made me chuckle... ;-)

B-

Ya know we love ya... no matter what kind of expletives are used ;-))

Lespw-

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1301714888' post='38079']
actually writing for missions and such is all you could really do in terms of writing and you might as well be dev if you want to do those things.
[/quote]

That sounds fun to me.

I've actually at multiple times considered lending myself to the project for the sole purpose of digging through the tons of NPC text and weeding out all the spelling and grammar errors. It drives me crazy when I see it, and I think the game's presentation would be improved... but joining staff would mean I'd have to shun my guild and stuff, right? ;)

Only with your staff toon, we require you make a separate toon and we track it so that if you transfer items or so on to your guild we can trace it and do something about it, that's all.

[quote name='Alyseria' timestamp='1301969049' post='38256']
I've actually at multiple times considered lending myself to the project for the sole purpose of digging through the tons of NPC text and weeding out all the spelling and grammar errors.
[/quote]
Also the style of writing needs to be improved. Take the description of the TS sniper weapon - it sounds like something that Tada-O would write rather than Getco.

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1302046164' post='38314']
Also the style of writing needs to be improved. Take the description of the TS sniper weapon - it sounds like something that Tada-O would write rather than Getco.
[/quote]
Ha, true. How does GetCo write? I never had a reason to use anything GetCo, cep'n maybe some travelin' engines.

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1302048177' post='38318']
Ha, true. How does GetCo write? I never had a reason to use anything GetCo, cep'n maybe some travelin' engines.
[/quote]
I believe all or close to all getco gear has the standard ''GETCo: Continuing our 500 year tradition of sustainable development.'' wording followed by a concise description of the buffs on the equipment.

I modeled it after one of the GETCo advertisments that are spoken in the station. I don't have the sound file readily handy but when I find it i'll link it.

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1302048177' post='38318']Ha, true. How does GetCo write? I never had a reason to use anything GetCo, cep'n maybe some travelin' engines.[/quote]

GETCo products just normally have 'GETCo: Continuing our 500 year tradition of sustainable development' in their description, plus describing what it does if it has extra effects. Example, Armadillo Plate Lv9 "GETCo: Continuing our 500 year tradition of sustainable development. When activated on a targeted group member this item gives an increase to target's EMP resistance. When equipped this item causes a small decrease to your chemical resistance, but gives an increase to your explosive and energy resistance. While the Sniper has "The Ballistic Sniper currently has "Ballistic Sniper, brought to you by GETCo. Allowing you a very good outlook over your enemies. Powerful Possibilities, Unlimited Opportunities, GETCo."

Now while that would match the broadcasted ads, it doesn't match the description listed on other GETCo items. If you think the way it is is fine, I would be ok with that. It is a special item afterall. But if you want to bring it more in line with other GETCo items, I suppose only a small alteration is called for. "GETCo: Continuing our 500 year tradition of sustainable development. We now present to you the Ballistic Sniper Missile Launcher, the last word in long range and powerful weapons. Designed for use specifically by advanced Scouts(Or Explorers if you prefer) in Hyperia." might be a good middle ground?

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1302053266' post='38327']
I modeled it after one of the GETCo advertisments that are spoken in the station. I don't have the sound file readily handy but when I find it i'll link it.
[/quote]

"GETCo 200 years of distinguished service!" Stand around in the station long enough thats etched in your ears... But the shakti one always puts a stupid grin on my face lol.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1301998682' post='38272']
Only with your staff toon, we require you make a separate toon and we track it so that if you transfer items or so on to your guild we can trace it and do something about it, that's all.
[/quote]

Hmm that's logical and fair. How would I go about applying to do this?

[quote name='RojoMuerte' timestamp='1302057219' post='38330']
"GETCo 200 years of distinguished service!" Stand around in the station long enough thats etched in your ears... But the shakti one always puts a stupid grin on my face lol.
[/quote]

That's EarthCorps, they have protected the Terran Alliance for 200 years. :)

The only ad GETCo generally mentions is the "500 years of sustainable development." I understand this is on every other piece of gear out there.

[quote name='Alyseria' timestamp='1302065469' post='38347']
Hmm that's logical and fair. How would I go about applying to do this?
[/quote]

Generally, I ask that potential content developers send me a PM to get started, I'll explain the rest once there. There's not much, cept a little test to determine that you're motivated for it and so on.