How to hurt multi-boxing.

Tyran

We all know multi-boxing gives a great advantage in ENB, especially in combat. I think it is due to game design that running three characters simultaneously is rather easy.

If it stays like this, perhaps most people and myself included, will multi-box like crazy.

Now, I'm not sure if this is how ENB combat was intended, but probably not.

Therefore my question, can you counter this?

Normal mobs could be left alone, but could the rarer-loot mobs be given the skills and AI to really mess up even the most experienced multiboxer?

Skills like summon, fold space and menace seem like a great way to mess up formations, arguably the key to multiboxing ENB.

A mob-only skill that simply breaks the formation of one party member could also help so that fold space and summon are not too common on mobs. If this skill would also stop the auto-impulse, forcing the player to re-engage it, and be castable outside missile range, it would go a long way to messing up multi-boxing kiters.

How about befriend on mobs, if cast on a player could it make it not be fired at by that player? This would force the multi-boxed char to change target, further complicating the normally easy task.

There must be many more ways, but the point is that with how mobs were in live it is begging to be multiboxed.

So I'm not calling for an end to multi-boxing, just that it does not become so attractive that it would be silly not to multibox...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

I agree that multiboxing isn't good. It really goes against the whole point of the game, to group up with other players, but I can understand why people are doing it. A lot of times it's difficult to find someone at your own combat level with our low server population, which makes multi-boxing much more attractive. Hopefully our numbers will shoot up as we hit later stages of development and the problem will at least be alleviated to some degree.

The fact that you don't have to pay a subscription on extra accounts like in live makes it way more viable too. Althoigh it does seem odd when you see full groups of ships with just 1 player (more so when we've stated a few times the max number a player should use is 3)

Would people please stop this assualt on multi boxers (it is like a never ending reoccuring subject)... obviously you have no clue what you are talking about... if you think people are cheating... well guess what, a cheater is always going to cheat with or without multibox ... but plenty of honest people multi box for very good reasons and believe me they are not the credit billionaire exploiters you would think...

while I like the conversation of grouping and do group with others often... many times I can only play for maybe 30-45 minutes at a clip... or and this happens a lot... RL steps in and I have to leave the game suddenly and unexpectedly... now when that happens and I am in a group with other people... I just screwed the group... so server populations has absolutely nothing to do with it...

in live I paid for 5 accounts so trust money or the free aspect is not an issue here (granted free accounts mighe encourage it... but for the lifer multiboxer it is not an issue)... please see the situation from someone elses perspective... and getting back to money... between my 3 toons on 3 accounts I have about 32 mil creds... and that is only cuz a guildie gave me 50 mil...

please dont make weird mob behavior just as an attack on multiboxers... many of us just want to sit back and unwind for an hour after a long day just like the rest of you... if you want to change mob ai to improve the overall game I am all for that... but please dont target people that are just trying to have fun and not hurt anyone... and believe me... multiboxing is challenging enough as it is... try it

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We're not saying multi-boxers are evil (I do it), it's just that it's not really with the spirit of the game, if you will.

I multi-boxed accounts in live, so I'm fully aware of the subject matter. As mob skills are added (which is slowly happening) you will start to find some mobs more challenging to fight if you multi-box (just like live). Just bare in mind that any changes done to mob AI will have nothing to do with multi-boxing though and more to the point, multi-boxing will not be factored into mob AI to make mobs specifically multi-box friendly. So mobs with menace and summon will be tougher to multi-box for example.

• Upvote 1

I duel box, I never duel box in major combat but when it comes to running job mobs or missions sure.

I am assuming others duel box with a multi computer setup.

I enjoy the fact that I do not need to find a trustworthy player to trade items. I also enjoy the fact that I can kill and loot low level unique

devices for my alt. I would never go to a raid with more then one account.

I am in the Alt - Tab fan club so i don't get much done in the way of severely impacting my combat.

I myself find it silly for a person to duel box on two TW's or even two PW's but to each there own,

Don't hurt multi-boxers... just set a limit. Three is a good number to have. if you (anyone) find that a multi boxer is constantly abusing this

by lets say mass ks'ing a single player then take it up with them and if its justified take it to the next step.

thats my 2 cents.

4399997588_1317294975_o.gif

"warp damn it... I am so sick of gravity wells"

• Upvote 1

many of us just want to sit back and unwind for an hour after a long day just like the rest of you...

Dear Avani,

Read the OP :)

Normal mobs could be left alone, but could the rarer-loot mobs be given the skills and AI to really mess up even the most experienced multiboxer?

In other words, stuff like GSP would be left alone...

• Downvote 1

I dual-box, but its more to combat my adult ADD. Its rare that I dual-box my toons together in a group, usually its doing trade runs with one while I am farming/mining with another. If I am doing some involved combat I don't dual-box. The only time I ever group together is if one of my toons that does not have shield-recharge needs to do some farming to raise my CL, then I will take my PP or TT along with them for just that purpose. (or if my JE is mining in a field that has too high level mobs, then I put the big noisy engine on the PP and plow the field)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just my two cents here.

If you stop or interfere with multiboxing you should count on

lower player counts and lower donations also.

Some people like just playing alone its very relaxing after work

and some just don't play well with others, and some just can't stand

the "God like players" in their groups talking up the group chat or

the KSing.

No bad idea leave Multiboxing alone.

Phor....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Just my two cents here.

the KSing.

Phor....

/signed

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I duo-box, primarily to trade stuff between toons without having to spend 20-30min waiting for a guildie or even a total stranger to help me shuffle my stuff around.

On occasion, I'll use my PW to shepherd my weaker toons or even (*le gasp d'horreur*) help them level grind combat.

I probably won't duo-box toons on a raid, unless it is to drag my TT and park it 40km up the Z-axis in FB as a "field medic" (ungrouped) as I might find a smiters' or some other thing of interest to the TT.

that said, I really don't think it would be necessary to specially code AI specifically for punishing multi-boxers.

As the devs above who commented - let's just be happy with the AI that is getting coded in, which will by itself have an impact in multi-boxers without any special focus.

That being said, if I had the the dev-know-how, I'd do something evil like have the mob like GoBB or Controller detect the race and class of the player the mob has the most hate against:

- Menace or Teleport enemy vs Progens (especially PW)

- Summon Terrans to minions

- Multi-Hack Jenquai

(there, an equal amount of persecution and hate for everybody :D )

• Upvote 1

Dear Avani,

Read the OP :D

In other words, stuff like GSP would be left alone...

read this... bottom line is you are asking for a targeted nerf at specific users... read the topic.... you wrote it... "How to hurt multi-boxing" let it be and let peple enjoy the game...

I also join in with the lock this topic request and would go a step further to delete it...

• Upvote 2

I don't want to lock the thread, but it seems like we should at least leave multi-boxing alone for a while. After all, it doesn't hurt anybody.

• Upvote 1

read this... bottom line is you are asking for a targeted nerf at specific users... read the topic.... you wrote it... "How to hurt multi-boxing" let it be and let peple enjoy the game...

I also join in with the lock this topic request and would go a step further to delete it...

I don't think you understand, this is all about the combat. I don't care if you go to joves and hold a sausage-fest multi-boxing 20 toons.

If high-end mobs are going to be the way they were in live, then it is not a choice to multi-box. Rather, you would be silly not to.

I don't want to lock the thread, but it seems like we should at least leave multi-boxing alone for a while. After all, it doesn't hurt anybody.

Indeed it doesn't hurt anybody as it is just a stress test. This suggestion is for when the emu goes live.

As a final note Suricata already said what I wanted to hear, so kudos to the devs yet again.

• Downvote 2

Multi boxing in a Raid is different than what I said earlier.

Two reasons:

One, Kleptomaniacs loot wholes :D

Two, If you were in a group and you failed to do your Job

and someone died or you died because of lose of aggro or

missed heal.

KICK ! That would be up to the Raid or group

leader or the members of the group.

For One person to Multi box BBG, Controller or FB (if possible)

That would be WRONG!

But for the casual player doing is or her own thing "No harm done".

Right now the server population is so small that I think there is

little problem of finding something to kill somewhere.

Hell ask someone you think that is Multi boxing if you can join there group

they may say sure and drop an alt(s).

But be up front tell them what your looting for or hunting for so there's no

anger or disapointment in their action when it comes time to loot what they

or you are hoping for.

There still are some players that do care about the other guy.

Finished....

Phorlaug.

ok my 2 creds

i love duo boxing

for me , i generally play alone so running 2 toons is great for build/storage/combat

i just now getting big enough to go on raids bbg,controller,fb and i have taken 2 toons to the raid. i learned on my own that i could not properly run 2 toons in a raid group. so i wont try it again unless theres 3-4 groups.

its just easier (for me anyway) to play in this fasion. i do not like to get in a group , then be called away by the phone,grandkid or(shudder) wife, only to tell the group brb repeatedly

as far as altering mobs or ai ,i will still play and adjust

lol ok im done B)

Just my two cents here.

the KSing.

Phor....

/signed

I multi-box two characters, one for what I want to do on that day the other for whatever I need it to be...

I have used my "chars" to help others, when I invite them I let them know I'm multi boxing and only loot with one or if I'm helping them set the loot to free for all so they can loot everything.

I can play well with others, but with server population what it is do I sit for 30 minutes? 45 minutes? an hour or more waiting to try and find a group my level?

I would say leave multi-boxers alone, it has been made clear for a long time now there is a 3 character limit.

Thanks for that.

As a purist I think that's evil (lol not really).

Now serious, I like to play with only one character and I enjoy the game being hard. So I'll never do such thing.

But interesting points by these people who use it. If you guys don't feel that you are "hurting" the gameplay by playing mainly "as a single player game", there's no problem. I know that you all know that the game wasn't intended that way, so...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

let's ask the octopus oracle :P

/thread

I haven't multi-cliented on Sunrise yet but I might in future.

I did multi-client when playing on Andromeda when there was stuff that I wanted to do solo - like parking a TT at a safe spot while my PW went on the rampage in Mazz or tripling up PW / TE / TT clients versus drones in BBW. I liked grouping too but did whatever was most fun.

I think nothing special needs to be done "against" multi-boxing.

I think people perceive a problem when there isn't one.

• Upvote 2

Hello,

I could not resist jumping in on this subject! First off yes I run 2 computers and almost always play 2 toons and that is my choice. If someone wants to play just 1 toon that is there choice and if someone wants to play 50 toons, well once again that is their choice. I have never understood why it is the players that only play one toon almost alway look down on the players that like to play 2 or more toons! People, it is all about freedom of choice here and we should never take away a players choice in how many toons they play. Also, if for some unknown reason players are forsed to play one toon or you make the mobs treat multi-toon players different in any way you will see EnB become a ghost town real quick. TTYL :-)

Merlin

• Upvote 1