Massivley - EnB Article - Front Page!

Pretty good :) somebody unfortunately left a comment that doesn't reflect the current state of the emu team/community but it's definitely cool to see that we're not the only ones that miss(ed) it. Maybe as the game progresses, we can gain some momentum and get the player base and donations up for bigger and better things.

they mentioned us briefly but didn't give any details. some comments were helpful info about the emu, but one in particular was not. we should probably clarify, since we were mentioned in the article. I don't really want to make an account for a website I never visit. :) maybe another staff member could

Yeah, I'm not sure where that one guy got his angry-sounding opinion of us, but whatever, hopefully this will lead more ex-EnB-players home.

I'm confused at how we "swiped the code", since it was all written here, save the game client which of course belongs to EA. I guess that's neither here nor there though, everyone has an opinion. :)

Yeah, I'm not sure where that one guy got his angry-sounding opinion of us, but whatever, hopefully this will lead more ex-EnB-players home.

Yes I was reading that and I though WTF?? I think he was playing a different game, or didn't understand that this server code was written from scratch.

Ok I have noticed that there is one or two players in game who whilst not being actively horrible people are just a lot more blunt and to the point but you can forgive them for that as they probably hear the same questions over and over again, otherwise the community here is really great like the matrix online community was during beta and pre-sony.

I'm confused at how we "swiped the code", since it was all written here, save the game client which of course belongs to EA. I guess that's neither here nor there though, everyone has an opinion. :)

He either didn't understand that it was written from scratch by the developers or believe for some reason he and everyone else are entitled to access the code freely. TBH I don't understand fully the current situation beyond that it is VERY difficult to get an EnB server running properly so people are generally put off doing it however there will be a more friendly easier to set up version coming for the server end.

However I expect if someone wanted to be involved in the development that anyone who can contribute is welcome?

He either didn't understand that it was written from scratch by the developers or believe for some reason he and everyone else are entitled to access the code freely. TBH I don't understand fully the current situation beyond that it is VERY difficult to get an EnB server running properly so people are generally put off doing it however there will be a more friendly easier to set up version coming for the server end.

He used too few words to fully understand what he means... but if was probably against 'not updating public svn anymore'.

Some also think that code == database and public database dump was old too.

as for running enb server (from the code that is currently public). it's as simple as edit config file, setup database, compile and run. There is no single install package (yet) where you can just click 'next->next->finish' so it might seem rocket science for some ;-)

Yes I was reading that and I though WTF?? I think he was playing a different game, or didn't understand that this server code was written from scratch.

Ok I have noticed that there is one or two players in game who whilst not being actively horrible people are just a lot more blunt and to the point but you can forgive them for that as they probably hear the same questions over and over again, otherwise the community here is really great like the matrix online community was during beta and pre-sony.

However I expect if someone wanted to be involved in the development that anyone who can contribute is welcome?

There's another game that a huge company let die. It was a shame that SoE had to get its greasy mitts on MxO.

He used too few words to fully understand what he means... but if was probably against 'not updating public svn anymore'.

Some also think that code == database and public database dump was old too.

as for running enb server (from the code that is currently public). it's as simple as edit config file, setup database, compile and run. There is no single install package (yet) where you can just click 'next->next->finish' so it might seem rocket science for some ;-)

Presumably so. The thing is, we had up-to-the-minute open source and only slightly delayed database releases for a long time, and all it got us was a few good stabs in the back. Don't get me wrong; we still want to be open-source, and we still actively share the old source and database dumps, but I, at least, think we can't keep everything updated like it was without serious risks to security and the integrity of the community.

Yeah - for those with a good understanding of computers on a semi-technical level, the source code and database dumps that are currently available will work. In fact, all revisions of the server for the past 6 months, maybe the past year, have been much harder to get going because of a problem with WinSocks that keeps the server from starting on many Windows installations with the 6.0 (Vista) kernel or later.

A while ago I was working on a compiled .exe of the server, limited to 5 active users, to try and give people a recent version of the server that was easier to set up, but it fell through because I had a considerable amount of trouble getting the executable to run reliably on different machines. Also, it would be fairly impossible (i.e. prohibitively difficult) to get the server to run without a MySQL database at this point, which is one of the major steps that discourages casual users from running a server themselves.

At one point, like CDel said, we did put it out publicly up to the minute but it led to people trying to cause a fork in the community and take them away from here. At that point in time it would have been detrimental to the effort of getting the game back, so we chose to close down. Now admittedly we stopped sharing database up to the minute before that, that was because we wanted everyone to have a reason to play and not have a guide to everything from day one.

We do plan at one point to compile a single server when all is said and done, I think Tienbau said something about it in our past. In any case as of now it is a lil bit difficult to get a local server running but in time it won't be.

As far as helping, anyone who can show us they can do the work and is willing to submit that work is welcome to join (C++ or C#), heck even content developers in most cases but most people just want a fancy title and powers and once they show us that they don't get to keep it.

[quote name='Darkk' timestamp='1299072298' post='35573']
Today Massivley did a write up on the story of EnB's rise and fall.

Its a great read.

[url="http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03/01/the-game-archaeologist-goes-to-earth-and-beyond-the-highlights/1#c33278528"]EnB Highlights[/url]
[/quote]

Another, new EnB article, front page again:

[url="http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03/08/the-game-archaeologist-goes-to-earth-and-beyond-the-vet/"]EnB:TheVet[/url]

[quote name='Kenu' timestamp='1299783455' post='36187']
silly article, the monuments are in glory's orbit, not cooper or glenn :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Speaking of Glory's Orbit, will there be something added to remember the Discovery, and having flown her last mission. Given her service in the exploration of Mars, can Spirit have a memorial?

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1299787178' post='36194']
Speaking of Glory's Orbit, will there be something added to remember the Discovery, and having flown her last mission. Given her service in the exploration of Mars, can Spirit have a memorial?
[/quote]

Well all of the shuttles are getting retired. And while that is significant, retirement I do not think is the same level of a landmark as the other memorial navs there like Columbia. And not to be down on Spirit but the same goes for that too. While it is the most advanced probe we have sent to Mars, sending probes to other planets is not really landmark.

Amazing, yet another front page article, this time an interview with the exec producer, Rade Stojsavljevic.
They even asked him what he thought of the emulator.

[url="http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03/15/the-game-archaeologist-goes-to-earth-and-beyond-a-talk-with-rade/"]http://massively.joy...talk-with-rade/[/url]

[quote name='Darkk' timestamp='1300195452' post='36605']
Amazing, yet another front page article, this time an interview with the exec producer, Rade Stojsavljevic.

[url="http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03/15/the-game-archaeologist-goes-to-earth-and-beyond-a-talk-with-rade/"]http://massively.joy...talk-with-rade/[/url]
[/quote]
Cool interview, very positive about the emulator. Also, there's a piece of concept art that I don't remember seeing before.

[quote name='WNxSajuukCor' timestamp='1300206842' post='36611']
Tell you what, I'm an old EnB player who found his way here cause of the Massively article. So count me as +1 to the support you guys are doing here :(
[/quote]

Welcome back!

[quote name='Darkk' timestamp='1300195452' post='36605']

[/quote]

Thanks for the link, I found that an interesting interview. My favorite quote, and I think it sums up what made EnB quite unique at the time is this:
===========================================================================
We tried very hard to build an intuitive and clean user interface, avoid a lot of insider gaming jargon, and provide a smooth progression of difficulty for first-time users.
====================================================================================
I think that's still true of EnB today.

[quote name='Jarod' timestamp='1300248749' post='36645']
We tried very hard to build an intuitive and clean user interface, avoid a lot of insider gaming jargon, and provide a smooth progression of difficulty for first-time users.
I think that's still true of EnB today.
[/quote]
Well, I remember discussions during live that said EA had pushed Westwood to make the game completely playable with mouse only. One side of the argument said that "dumbed-down" the game, but personally I didn't mind that aspect and I think it helped them to streamline gameplay.

[quote name='Dakynos' timestamp='1300583627' post='36878']
[quote]the number of subscribers the game had just didn't make it profitable [b]enough[/b].[/quote]
(bold added)
[/quote]
Yeah, so EnB wasn't losing money, just not making enough. He does go on to say that they could have kept the servers going, but couldn't have afforded to develop new content.

I guess they figured they figured they could squeeze out a few more cents of profitability by moving the team to Ultima X and The Sims ... Edited by Zarius

When they started pulling staff away from the game, it was obvious to most of the old-timers, and questions of alternative marketing were raised on the forums. Most never saw them do anything other than the buddy program. When the game was first released folks had to search for copies of it in stores, and that never got any better. EA used crappy advertising and it came as no surprise that it didn't make more money.

[quote name='WNxSajuukCor' timestamp='1300206842' post='36611']
Tell you what, I'm an old EnB player who found his way here cause of the Massively article. So count me as +1 to the support you guys are doing here :)
[/quote]

+2

I also came across the article and discovered this. :P

MMORPGs out there today, such as RIFT cannot fulfill this void Earth and Beyond had. I am ecstatic to see a small group of people actually rewrote the server code from scratch in order to keep E&B legacy going.

I will definitely be trying the emulator out sometimes this week.

Cheers,
Bhaltair