Why Do People Hate Ea?

They killed the best game I ever played Motor City Online it was befor enb same carp no marketing restrictive sales area, Stupid rules that all subscriptions must be paid in us dollars. We still had folks from europe, asia, and australia playing the game. They said if it were released widely in their markets that it would have been a hit. Oh well no use crying over spilled motor oil.

---->>>>Boycotted all EA Games since 2004 when they bought Westwood Studios, took over Earth & Beyond and Immediately announced they would be closing it down in 6 months....all because it was competition to a new sports game they were coming out with. Even though my one action doesnt seem to have brought the ugly monster down to its knees.....it sure makes me feel a whole lot better about myself.

• 4 weeks later...
That fits EA to a T, when sunset came i called EA and ask why. Their response was : We are taking the money we made and producing other games with it and the line went dead . Not even a goodbye or thank you for calling. haven't bought an EA game since. !

And LOVE that video !! Edited by montecarlo

• 3 weeks later...
Saw the video a while ago, but still like it :)
The first time I heard of E&B was when the game was on an endcap at Target I think, on clearance. Picked it up, read it, looked at it, said "holy smokes this is awesome"! and bought it. I believe It was the first MMO I bought as I was leery of paying monthly to play.

Every time we all play this E&B Emulator, we scroll down and press "Accept" to the window below......

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/255/number16.jpg/"][img]http://imageshack.us/a/img255/4359/number16.jpg[/img][/url]

Uploaded with [url="http://imageshack.us"]ImageShack.us[/url]

[color=#ee82ee][size=6][font=georgia, serif]RIANA[/font][/size][/color] Edited by drjeff

No obligation to scroll down Riana!

I feel that the clickwrap on the ENB client was an agreement only when EA were providing a service for the game.

Nowadays clickwraps generally tend to force the user to scroll down before accept can be clicked.

I cant remember the file off the top of my head, but you can actually go into the client and change all of those words if you want. That always amused me, though I never have done it.

Data => Client => Text => roc

I dont know if that would affect anything, or if it would make it truly illegal to even be operating the software (id assume so), but it could be done, lol.

[quote name='drjeff' timestamp='1348202493' post='63562']
But now there is NO option if you want to play the emulator...you MUST scroll down and click "I AGREE".
[/quote]
In your snapshot either button can be clicked and you are not scrolled to the end.

[quote name='Lot' timestamp='1348217062' post='63568']
In your snapshot either button can be clicked and you are not scrolled to the end.
[/quote]

Agreed. I haven't scrolled and read that since the early days of beta before live. lol

True, In my snapshot I did not scroll to the end because I wanted to show the #16 condition. Scrolling to the end or not, one must click the "I Agree" button to play the emulator. All I was pointing out here is the ease in which EA Games could close the Emulator down at any time, especially if we attempt to go "Live"...in which case we would really come onto their radar....and bastards that they have repeatedly shown themselves to be, I wouldn't put it past them to close it down on entry #16 as the grounds for doing so.

I guess my point here is wanting the DEV's thoughts and strategies on this issue and what convinces them that this is a non-issue and that they are safe to move forward with this Emulator through beta testing and eventually into a full public "Live" release that EA Games will, for some reason ignore. Is there some legal precedent that would protect us from being closed down that I am unaware of? Just looking for thoughts and re-assurances here. Perhaps there are none to be given. Whichever, I am still happy to be back playing E&B under any circumstances...although I would prefer that we don't go and do something that would [i]guarantee[/i] that we get the game closed down by EA Games.

[color=#ee82ee][size=5][font=georgia, serif]RIANA[/font][/size][/color] Edited by drjeff

[quote name='drjeff' timestamp='1348282208' post='63585']
True, In my snapshot I did not scroll to the end because I wanted to show the #16 condition. Scrolling to the end or not, one must click the "I Agree" button to play the emulator. All I was pointing out here is the ease in which EA Games could close the Emulator down at any time, especially if we attempt to go "Live"...in which case we would really come onto their radar....and bastards that they have repeatedly shown themselves to be, I wouldn't put it past them to close it down on entry #16 as the grounds for doing so.[/quote]
If they do, they do, until then, we don't worry about it -- well may be the Net 7 folk worry more than we players do but they've made a good effort to protect themselves with the not for profit organistation. If EA went that route they would end up playing whack-a-mole with a succession of ENB emulators getting more difficult to whack the mole until the mole learned to survive despite EA. At least I hope.

Ha! Yeah, Bastards that they are...our best protection from being closed down by EA is most likely that it would cost them money to do so with no possibility to make a dime from their action. I don't think the huge negative press they would get (imagine the global gamer's outcry), would even enter into their equation, they seem to be immune to the giant negative image they already have.....

[color=#ee82ee][size=5][font=georgia, serif]RIANA[/font][/size][/color]

Having worked in the field myself, they are the last gaming company you would ever want to work for. They hire people with the the attitude that they will be treated well, and burn them out. EA didn't come up with Mass Effect, that was Bioware. They were an independent company until a couple years ago. Many of those shops run into a conundrum when they grow to a certain point. They either have to invest a crap load of cash to grow the company more, or go into a temporary layoff state, to stay profitable. This would be the case in going from a medium to a large business, etc. And its all decided by bean counters, and those with MBA degrees who care more about the bottom line than in caring for an awesome staff & development crew who churn out awesome products.

Personally, I'd rather have a profitable but not exorbitantly wealthy company with happy employees and a product they all believe in, than to sell out to a massive slave driver like EA. But then I have never been a bean counter. Companies like EA are a huge problem more than a help to the industry IMO.

• 1 month later...

Not really some EA games are cool but I'm not saying all of them some of them really sucks. Well in terms of graphics, they have good graphics on their latest games, gameplay also good but for the story of some games......?????? :huh:

Overall EA is one of the good game companies in the world.

Edited by naruto123

[quote name='naruto123' timestamp='1351907825' post='64990']

Overall EA is one of the good game companies in the world.

[/quote]

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ELFl2_1q7DI/TObn1HnV2fI/AAAAAAAAAaQ/5JkvAtpbv7k/s1600/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
their DRM, which requires you to be connected to internet even if it's a singleplayer, which has actually been proven to decrease quality and performance of games, which has caused all kinds of bugs and troubles that have prevented people who actually bought their games from playing the game while the pirates with cracks are smooth sailing.

[quote name='Yuritau' timestamp='1340319483' post='59343']
Personally I hate EA because they purchase, exploit, and disband otherwise great game companies just to turn a buck, instead of trying to just make better games.
[/quote]

This. Look what they did to Westwood. The Command and Conquer series is now just a bunch of bland games where the focus has moved to churning out new titles for minimal work done and watered down game play that lacks the complexity of the original games.

[quote name='Thrangar' timestamp='1340219581' post='59256']
You guys dont know the half of it...I dont like em because of the way they mistreated/maybe still do their employes
[/quote]

Yeah years back they got themselves in to quite a pickle with the treatment of employees.

I do not like the way they support their games, shutting down EnB, their "wars" on used games, the way the are just generaly overall. Microsoft is out to make money but they also follow a far different strategy than EA by releasing souce code for modders, old games being released for free. Take the way mechwarrior 4 and all addons are free now, the still large following on freelancer, and other game compainies that do similar things while EA still seems to be stuck in the stone age.

[quote name='Statyomota' timestamp='1340471921' post='59593']
I played Motor City Online as bester in uptown EA done a market sweep a few weeks befor release I liked the game but after release no more ads also was very hard for europeans to play as EA wanted gameplay paid in dollars. If this game was marketed better may have had a longer run than 2 years. Then went on to Earth and Beyond they done the same thing market sweep prior to release then nothing. They ruined POGO when they took it over charge a fee and make it a big deal if they give out a mug or a t-shirt. Removed the jackpots that would grow to 2900 bucks doubled for club members now if some one wins 200 bucks they think it is a big deal. I will never buy another online game from them.
[/quote]

Same for me I will never buy a MMO as long as they keep the general support for games they generally follow. They need to do a total rework of how they do things before I would even consider paying for the game and monthly subs.

[quote name='Smokeday' timestamp='1352656366' post='65751']
their DRM, which requires you to be connected to internet even if it's a singleplayer, which has actually been proven to decrease quality and performance of games, which has caused all kinds of bugs and troubles that have prevented people who actually bought their games from playing the game while the pirates with cracks are smooth sailing.
[/quote]

Yet another reason why I hate EA... That is reason why some who buy EA games look for cracks to bypass that IGNORANT DRM that requires you to be online anytime you want to play incase their internet drops or the EA DRM servers go down.