Two Moons on August 27th 2010

sorry if this is wrong thread, but this is really interesting.

On the 27th of August the Whole World is waiting for.............

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 @ 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again.

Nah, Mars will appear as a point of light, like any of the other (visible to the unaided eye) planets when viewed without a telescope. If Mars gets close enough to appear the size of Luna, given it's size relative to Luna, I think it would have to get MUCH closer than it's going to get.

The closest approach of Mars to Earth is about 55 million kilometers.

To put this into perspective that is about 180 times further than the Moon is from the Earth.

If their surfaces reflected the same amount of light Mars would need to be 180 times larger than the moon to have the same brightness. However:

Earth-Moon-Mars-Scale.jpg

This same hoax has been floating about the internet for years I'm afraid :)

I think this is a hoax. Apparently it already happened on august 27th 2003 says NASA.

It would be very cool though, I didn't see it when it supposedly happened in 2003.

yes according to NASA this is an old hoax.. :)

source: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2005/07jul_marshoax/

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 @ 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons.

Snopes.com is really your friend for stories like this. I think I've received like 6 or 7 (always forwarded) emails from friends alerting me to this "awesome event".

However, not every email alert you receive is a hoax. If you recently heard about Plastic bottle bombs being left on lawns and driveways then be aware this is TRUE. Is there some shortage of dog-poop and/or paper bags that's driven kids to this new extreme?

Bad news guys, i went to the store the other night and swerved to avoid a comet, slammed my ship into mars at 4 times the speed of light, mars now shares an orbit with jupiter, the good news however is we have a spot for an orbital wal-mart, or a really big chicken coop! :)

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the devs could make it happen in the emu *evil grin* (envisions everyone crashing server going to earth sector to see it)

I will not be party to this sort of evil japery! Mars in earth orbit? Sounds like a Flash Gordon plot.

Gordon's Aliiiiiiveee?

• Upvote 1

Heh... I'm a big astronomy buff and volunteer at a local observatory. We get asked this every year at least a few times. I'm glad the "Bigfoot on Mars" hoax has died down however. Here's a good explanation as to why Mar's 2003 opposition was so special:

http://www.spaceweather.com/delights/mars2003_View.html

For those that didn't see it Mars looked like a very bright orange star in the sky, not the size of the moon. The view was spectacular from a telescope however. :)

Edited by rmdashrrootsplat