Ore Fields! What do you remember!

Hello,

I want to announce that I am going to be working on the ore fields in the game. I am going to try to get them so that you will get the right lvl & ore type out of a rock/gas and to place the correct fields in the game that were in live. Also, I will be adding new fields to the sectors and place the according mob lvl for the lvl of a field. With the new fields that will be going in will be changing locations from time to time to give all you minings out there something new to do. I will anounce when field moves will happen and it won't be soon so do not worry.

Ok with all that said I would like to get your input as to "Fields you remember" that were in live and not a wish list! I remember some of them but not all of them! I know what some of the concerns are as I am an active player/miner in the game. So feel free to give me your opions/subjestions/wants, but remember this is not the complaint department, but just a place to talk about the ore/gas fields!

Merlin

I remember lv5-7 fields and hidden fields in Arduinne, west of the planet and north of the planet. May have even been some higher ores also, but my JE mostly mined there for ammo comp ores.

Big project you're undertaking there Merlin! Good luck!

I'll start this off with a few:

Somewhere a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE distance away from VT on the far side of the sun were a few roids. I remember finding L5-7 ores around there but remember rumors of L9.

I also remember Glenn, Earth and 61 Cygni not having a crapload of ores before some rather imbalanced patch *hint hint*.

There was a L3-4 field directly behind the gate to 61 cygni in inverness.

In Swooping eagle if you freewarp from the Beta Hydri gate to the maelstrom, roughly halfway there in the middle of nowhere lay a very slow respawn L4-5 field where also a Red dragon boss spawned.

Behind the planet on the top right of the map of Fenris lay high level ores with infrequent spawns.

PS. Someone beat me to it.

Edited by Tyran

There were two small pure L9 Orefields in BBW, one a little South of the paths of navs from the gate to QAR. That orefield was defended by 2-3 Manes, CL 51 mostly, occasional 53 or 56. There was another one west south west of the four gates (I forget it's exact location) but it had the same type of guardians. (both of these orefields were rather small, and could be cleared out fairly quickly by 2 competent explorers)

In the Northern part of BBW, there was a large Gravitational Anomoly (Near where the gate to Paramis currently is in BBW) this was a large orefield with mostly L7 and L8 ores, with some L9 thrown in. Those were guarded by L48-51 Manes, as well as other mobs. You needed an E-Shield to mine there without your shields being dropped.

BBW also had a few other orefields in the L7-L8 range. Guarded by L48 mobs from the Bio-Extractor family of mobs.

The Gate to BBW in Inverness with the L35+ RD also had an orefield, L7-L8, the RDs weren't the only mobs there. There were some organic mobs that guarded the field, in the 45 range. They were not Manes, (I remember equipping Ghost's Edge beams there) but I forget which mobs were there exactly.

Jupiter had L6-L8 orefields around the "asteroid" navs consisting of all types of asteroids but few gas clouds, mostly the commonplace stuff and Ammo ores. They were patrolled by Sharim factioned mobs.

Arduinne sector had orefields in the L7-L8 range, with the occasional L9 roid thrown in. They were near all the Asteroid Navs behind Arduinne Planet.

Glepnir, in Fenris, had nearby orefields. Bio-Extractors and Zenshai patrolled them. L7-L8.

Edited by Terrell

More on the wish list side of things:

* Please leave some way-out of the way places that are unguarded, i.e. no mobs.

* No pop roids/jack-a-roids (unless you plan on bringing back the random buffs that sometimes came in their place

* Re-balance ore guardians (less nasty manes, perhaps more bio-extractors or renegade progen or rogue shinwa, etc. In Live, it seemed as if Manes were just the default guardian mob whenever the EA devs got too lazy to plot a wider variety of mob types).

* Since new Jenquai plasma beams seems not likely to happen, please refrain from making Manes energy-immune (hey, it's a wish list!)

More on the wish list side of things:

* Please leave some way-out of the way places that are unguarded, i.e. no mobs.

* No pop roids/jack-a-roids (unless you plan on bringing back the random buffs that sometimes came in their place

* Re-balance ore guardians (less nasty manes, perhaps more bio-extractors or renegade progen or rogue shinwa, etc. In Live, it seemed as if Manes were just the default guardian mob whenever the EA devs got too lazy to plot a wider variety of mob types).

* Since new Jenquai plasma beams seems not likely to happen, please refrain from making Manes energy-immune (hey, it's a wish list!)

Hello, I am adding new ore fields that out of the way and some will be unguarded. As to Pop rocks, well they will be put back into the game at some point, but not anytime soon. Now as to the ballacing out the gaurdians, this is something that is being done. Here is the lvl of mobs I will be useing:

lvl 7 - 9 ores = lvl 35 to 50 mobs

lvl 4 - 6 ores = lvl 20 to 35 mobs

lvl 1 - 3 ores = lvl 15 & below mobs

Now this is a guideline not a rule. I can promise you this that I will not be useing any Manes and only mobs that are native to that sector. Example: I added 2 new Ore fields to VG and in one of them is 2 lvl 41 Titans & 1 lvl 40 Titan. I feel it is importain to make it so that solo miners can mine without draging a whole combat group with them. If you are going to mine a sector then you should also be able to do combat in that sector solo. Now saying that does not meen that there will not be some fields won't still require bringing along some susport toons, but if that is the case then the rewards should also be worth it. I will leave it up to you to figure that one out.

Merlin

• Upvote 1

Factioned mob guardians might be nice as well:

Somewhere where a TS might see the mob as yellow/non-aggro, but a PS might see it as red/aggro.

An example of this currently in play is the L45 Thorgil pair near the Dolor ore field, NW of the L35-ish Sabines Reclaimers and L12-ish Sables.

My TS can mine there without fear of getting potted by the Thorgils, but they will try to whack my PW (or other progen toons for that matter)

Now this is a guideline not a rule. I can promise you this that I will not be useing any Manes and only mobs that are native to that sector.

If there are no manes in orefields, then where are they going to be?

I think 99/100 places for manes was in ore fields, with endriago probably being the slightest exception?

Example: I added 2 new Ore fields to VG and in one of them is 2 lvl 41 Titans & 1 lvl 40 Titan. I feel it is importain to make it so that solo miners can mine without draging a whole combat group with them. If you are going to mine a sector then you should also be able to do combat in that sector solo. Now saying that does not meen that there will not be some fields won't still require bringing along some susport toons, but if that is the case then the rewards should also be worth it.
Sounds perfect.

I think roid density also makes a sector individual. Take Xipe Totec it had a fairly decent amount in total, but the fields were spread out over probably a few 10s of Ks. So you would warp between roids nearly constantantly.

Oh yes on the subject of MOBs and ore fields. Don't we all wish those freespacer prospecters respawned and mined faster?

When you killed them they dropped the ores they prospected. But sadly they were not programmed to mine well and only targetted a roid very infrequently.

I think this must be looked into!

Come to think of it, it might be interesting of the belter type mobs, and the miner mobs (Crazed, deranged, lunatic as examples) could sometimes be seen mining. Good idea Tyran.

Edited by Terrell

Oh yes on the subject of MOBs and ore fields. Don't we all wish those freespacer prospecters respawned and mined faster?

When you killed them they dropped the ores they prospected. But sadly they were not programmed to mine well and only targetted a roid very infrequently.

I think this must be looked into!

I remember watching those guys mine then get killed by body stealers. it was pretty fun to watch the cycle.

and my contribution:

there were ore fields at a bunch of Asteroid navs in Jupiter and Swooping Eagle. The swooping eagle fields in the southwest were guarded by level 25ish shinwa who used to drop beer. :)

these fields aren't in yet though because they didn't become a part of the game until later.

and merlin, if you want to add a field to a jenquai sector let me know that you're doing it. I want to be kept in the loop. If editing existing fields, please let me know before you do it. Best of luck!

Hello,

I will 1st and formost keep all the team leaders in the loop and will chat with each of you before going into a new sector. Right now I am working with Webby on the Independ sectors. I have some ideas and want to make each sector it's own and keep within the guide line for the race of that sector. (did that make any sence) :-)

Ok, the changes have started to happen and the fields in VG, Glenn & Fenris have been change with a coupple of new ones added in. I will not tell anyone where the new fields are as that would take all the fun out of finding them, but the hunt will be will worth it. I am also trying to get the gass field in Glenn back to what it was in live. This field was the center piece for the whole game in live and I feel it is importain for it to be made as it was. I invite all miners to check it out and the other fields in VG, Glenn & Fenris and to let me know what you think.

Now as to Mob's, I will be useing a wide range of Mob's for the ore/gass fields and will put the according mob to the sector it is in: Example is the gass field in Glenn, now even though in live it did not have any mobs I put Glenn Comm miners in there. They are mostly for show as they are non-aggro and mostly yellow to everyone, but they look nice there. In VG I used Titans and in Fenris I used mostly Zen's.

Now even though I am going thru the ore fields and putting the right ore in the right rocks there still seems to be a small problem with the wrong ores and those pesty lvl 2 Hel gass showing up all over the place. I have talked to David and he is working on fixing this small problem and should be fixed soon. What those are/where were place holders so that lets say when a sector was first made they put those place holders in so that if someone didn't put ore in a field it would not crash the server by not haveing anything in them. This is hard coated into the code and has to be removed so it does not mess everything up. I know it is a pain in the you know where to open a nice juicey lvl 9 rock to only find a crapy lvl 2 gass in it. This will get fix as soon as David has the time and that is something that poor guy is running out of so be nice guys.

OK, thats about it for the moment. I will try to keep all of you updated on what I am doing and how far I have gone. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. You all know the names of my toons and I read the forms everyday. TTYL :-)

Merlin

don't forget the crystal ring fiends that used to prowl around the higher level fields! Those things gave me the creeps.

The ring fiends were from "pop" roids that someone had mined and then either died, or ran from, the mob that spawned, it being the fiend.

Hello, I am adding new ore fields that out of the way and some will be unguarded. As to Pop rocks, well they will be put back into the game at some point, but not anytime soon. Now as to the ballacing out the gaurdians, this is something that is being done. Here is the lvl of mobs I will be useing:

lvl 7 - 9 ores = lvl 35 to 50 mobs

lvl 4 - 6 ores = lvl 20 to 35 mobs

lvl 1 - 3 ores = lvl 15 & below mobs

Now this is a guideline not a rule. I can promise you this that I will not be useing any Manes and only mobs that are native to that sector. Example: I added 2 new Ore fields to VG and in one of them is 2 lvl 41 Titans & 1 lvl 40 Titan. I feel it is importain to make it so that solo miners can mine without draging a whole combat group with them. If you are going to mine a sector then you should also be able to do combat in that sector solo. Now saying that does not meen that there will not be some fields won't still require bringing along some susport toons, but if that is the case then the rewards should also be worth it. I will leave it up to you to figure that one out.

Merlin

Thank you for reducing the number of orefields guarded by Manes. Here's a screenie from Live of one of the Jack-A-Roid mobs.

ScreenShot15-1.jpg

Did a lot of prospecting in E&B live but actually remembering where things were: apparently not. However, I do remember a website, resurrected courtesy of waybackmachine.org: The Claimjumper. The breakdown by sector includes density, asteroid types, and mob type for roamers. The breakdown by mineral type indicates what things could be prospected from what type. Not exactly ideal, since the site tends to be slow, but a lot of information. I hope it's helpful.

Concerning the upcoming popper roids:

- Will these mobs' levels be based upon the combat level of the miner that popped the roid, and a factor of the level of the ore field?

- Will popper roids be necessarily present in lower level zones, or "common areas" (such as Glenn) - the danger being that a very high level mob could be spawned as a grief tactic by a high level miner, in a low level area?

- Will there be logic to handle the number of popped mobs that can spawn at any given time for a field?

- Will the popped mobs have a despawn time limit, after which they go back into the pool of "x" rocks that could pop?

- Will pop rods be limited to a specific type of rock (as seemed to have been the case in Live, if my memory is correct?

I don't recall a Jack-A-Roid mob ever coming from a crystalline asteroid or a gas cloud. I can't remember if the glowing asteroids ever exploded or not. I do remember that if a rock or hydrocarbon was different in color from a rock/hydrocarbon of the same type and level, then the rock was a pop-rock. Hulks could also explode, but I don't remember an obvsious "tell" with them. In the Screenie of the Jack-A-Roid mob that I posted earlier, I was L150+ at the time of the screenie, the mob was in BBW, and spawned in one of the "pure" L9 orefields that was there in Live. I can't remember if it was a regular rock or a hydrocarbon.

A suggestion to streamline user input on field locations:

1. Create blank sheets containing minimaps of each sector. (like all beta hydri on one sheet for example)

2. Ask players to open it in paint or photoshop or whatever and indicate with different colours (to represent levels) where the fields were. If a field is mixed just add dots of the different levels around the spot.

3. PUT THIS request for user input somewhere OBVIOUS so a lot of people participate.

4. Match the user inputs for accuracy.

However, are we really missing so many orefields to go to this length?

One ore field I notices that is missing is the huge arc of asteroids (and nav points) on the west side of planet Zwiehander. They started as low level 'roids near the station and went up in value as you went further along (down) the nav path. They were guarded by MOBs appropriate to the ores along the path. I remember going back often as my JE gained levels and I could go a little farther and always tried to push it until I usually got killed. LOL

Edited by GenghisBob

Hello,

I want to announce that I am going to be working on the ore fields in the game. I am going to try to get them so that you will get the right lvl & ore type out of a rock/gas and to place the correct fields in the game that were in live. Also, I will be adding new fields to the sectors and place the according mob lvl for the lvl of a field. With the new fields that will be going in will be changing locations from time to time to give all you minings out there something new to do. I will anounce when field moves will happen and it won't be soon so do not worry.

Ok with all that said I would like to get your input as to "Fields you remember" that were in live and not a wish list! I remember some of them but not all of them! I know what some of the concerns are as I am an active player/miner in the game. So feel free to give me your opions/subjestions/wants, but remember this is not the complaint department, but just a place to talk about the ore/gas fields!

Merlin

I wasn't sure where else to post this but it is roid related. I do like the bonus for clearing fields but have noticed some fields have so many different types, I don't have enough hull spaces to acomplish this. I also noted the bonus doesn't seem to apply to Arduinne. I have cleared the entire planet multiple times and have only gotten the cloud-clearing bonus not the field bonus.

I wasn't sure where else to post this but it is roid related. I do like the bonus for clearing fields but have noticed some fields have so many different types, I don't have enough hull spaces to acomplish this. I also noted the bonus doesn't seem to apply to Arduinne. I have cleared the entire planet multiple times and have only gotten the cloud-clearing bonus not the field bonus.

Hello,

The part of too many types of ore has been changed. I have split up each lvl of ore into 2 groups so that miners will be able to mine longer without have to run to the station all the time. This also makes it easier to go find sertin types of ores also.

As to your problem with Arduinne, are you also clearing out the hulks in the field? They are part of the ore field and have to cleared along with the clouds. I know, don't say it, "Why did they put so many hulks in the field"! Answer is I do not have a clue, but that will change when I get to that area. Hope this helps. TTYL :-)

• Upvote 1

I think 99/100 places for manes was in ore fields, with endriago probably being the slightest exception?

I think you are right. But one thing I don't see happening in here like it was in live is the huge advantage Jennies had with their low sig. I had so much fun skirting on the edge of the sig range. I could dance around the manes. That was part of the fun.

Hello,

The part of too many types of ore has been changed. I have split up each lvl of ore into 2 groups so that miners will be able to mine longer without have to run to the station all the time. This also makes it easier to go find sertin types of ores also.

As to your problem with Arduinne, are you also clearing out the hulks in the field? They are part of the ore field and have to cleared along with the clouds. I know, don't say it, "Why did they put so many hulks in the field"! Answer is I do not have a clue, but that will change when I get to that area. Hope this helps. TTYL :-)

I tried to attach a picture of how Arduinne was, but didn't make it work. geesh

Edited by Toreava