Jenquai Seeker

First Thanks to the Developers for the JT's new skill, Reactor Optimization. I like it plenty so does my JT. Being able to use this skill will make JT's IMO more welcome in a group, and I do find that she fights solo pretty well given her race & profession. Being able to buff her reactor, means she can cast her other skills more, and being that Jenquai are all skill dependent in combat, IMO more power makes the class more viable. With the new skill I'd give the JT a 5 of 5 on Energy in stats, making her equal to the JE in terms of energy efficiency.

The new skill leaves the JT only 1 skill short of the JW and JE. Any thoughts as to what her last skill should be? IMO whatever last unique skill she gets it should be raised on Explore Levels. Since JT has an Explorer component, being that she was born a Jenquai, she should have at least 1 skill that requires her to attain EL45 to max. The Defender's Scan skill and his Fold Space skill require EL45 to max, while JW's Cloak only requires EL25 because it's capped at 5. JW has 3 skills that are levelled up based on EL, JT has 2. JT's Cloak & Scan skills are maxed out at L5 and can be maxed with EL25. Not sure what her last skill should be, but I hope that it's as good as Reactor Optimization, and is based on Explore level. IMO the Seeker has no wasted skills, thank you devs.

I love how you call them by their name (seeker) in title but always go by class in your topic, always made me curious, why did everyone choose to go with warrior, explorer and trader, why not Defender, Scout and Privateer? I can just see people calling everyone a PD or a TP lol

.....anyways, I think the JS does need at least 1 more to make it more viable, or upgrade a current one. the TT just owns in both building, and combat support (hull patch shield recharge and shield charging) the PP has combat in the bag being a progen, 5th weapon slot, shield inversion crit etc. the JS doesnt have as much to go on and it would be nice to see it be equal or superior to the TT in combat supprot at least, an extra level to PSI shield would be cool to give some pretty powerfull psi shields out for high levels that actually do something with players running a lvl 9 shield, upping cloak to match the JE would also make the JS more effective in a group. the TT can solo (kite) the PP has no trouble with it, but i see the JS as a group support type class moreso then the others so I think it needs a bit of extra buffing to make it more usefull in a group setting.

I prefer to use the race and profession when I'm abbrievating them. JS also means Jumpstart.

I agree that in Combat support the TT owns among the Traders (also can fight solo via kiting), just being able to both shield recharge and hull patch does make him superior at the Trader role. Then again since he's the pure trader I think he should own when it comes to straight build skills. The Seeker can match the TT on price, on the 4 builds she has, because she has Negotiate 7, like the TT. The PT has access to reactor build, but only has Negotiate 5. (I guess threatening violence isn't as good a negotiating tactic as being nice. That's from the missions to learn Negotiate for PT and JT). The TT can beat the PT on price at building of Comps, Weapons, and Shields.

I do think that in combat both JE and JW can play support pretty well, though JW can also fight well. All Jenquai can support by debuffing mobs to Plasma, with their chimaera line of devices, and can also use the rada devices (which have the advantage of longer range), they can also blind mobs with a coma device (Jenquai Only), so I do think that the Seeker has some good combat support ability just on the basis of her race, and devices currently available to her. JT also can use the Manticore line of devices to debuff Energy (and the L8 Cobalt Megahurtz) which increases her viablity as a solo combatant and her ablity to support other Jenquai. She has access to debuffers of both Energy & Plasma, something no other Jenquai has (the 2 most useful types of beam damage). JE and JT share the battery bot role, since the JT has the new skill while the JE uses devices.

I suspect that whatever devices that are added that are Jenquai Only, Tradesman Only, will also help make or break the JT as a class. She already has some useful ones as holdovers from live, that TTs could use, but never really had reason to use, like the Manticore and Cobalt Megahurtz. I suspect that all the new classes have more lovin' to come in the equipment department. (there already is some like the things that Blackbeard drops) A good line of devices that buff Psi Shield that the JT can use, before she gets up to her Sharim Prototype Shield is a good thing. The JW already has such a line of devices, a line for the Seeker with a different more apropriate 2nd buff

Raising JT's level of cloak equal to the JE would make her a better explorer, but I don't recall using Group Stealth very often in a combat support role, though It can be useful in kiting groups, simply to lower the signatures of wingmen using longer range weapons (but it also means that you're not firing at all). I would think that raising Scan on the JT to L7 would help her in combat support in that she could share scan range like the other Jenquai more so than raising Cloak. Even with the JE having the best scan range of all classes, I know that given Scan 7 would make JW & JT equal and I'm sure a group of people wouldn't mind having the JT's scan range (like every Terran or Progen that's not in the profession of explorer), Scan range buffs are commonplace among Jenquai. All Jenquai can use the Sextans device to improve scan range, the JW also has the Telescopium device, perhaps the JT should get her own version of a scan buff device.

What I wonder is how the JT can best help with that last skill. Things covered already in combat support include but aren't limited to.

• Battery Bot: Both JE and JT. JE via devices, JT via skill.
  • Debuff Plasma: All Jenquai & Terrans Chimaera & Rada, Jenquai have more options.
  • Blind Enemies: All Jenquai can do this with the Coma line of devices.
  • Debuff Energy: All Traders can do this, but Seeker finds this most useful due her use of beams. (Manticore, Cobalt Megahurtz)
  • Extend Scan Range: JE/JW with Scan 7 automatically apply scan buffs to all group (share scan range) JT is limited to Sextans, and any other activatable buff
  • Share See Cloaked: Sentinel, Scout, & Seeker. (Seeker has worst scan range of the 3)
  • Buff Deflects: All Explorers, via GETCo devices, plus JE's Environment Shield.
  • Recharge Shields: All Traders
  • Patch Hulls: Tradesman & Scout
  • Debuff Chemical: All Progen & JE (devices from healing the shear for JE)
  • Debuff Psionic: TT & JE (TT has better options here, JE device too energy hungry)
  • Debuff Explosive: Explorers (all 3) have most options, everyone else can use Taniwah's pride or Zenri Force Matrix
  • Med Evac: JW
  • Crowd Control: JE and JW through Fold Space, JW through Summon.
  • Repair Equipment: PW, TW, JW.

I see things in there that Seeker can do, but she doesn't stand out at any of them, and in some of the things she shares with other classes others do it better. Perhaps there needs to be something new that players couldn't do before to help combat groups for the Seeker. Needs to be something useful enough to get a Seeker to come along, but must also not be overpowered. The big advantage I see off hand, is that a Seeker can both use and debuff 2 useful types of damage without needing rare items to do so.

I'm not really sure what they could best do to help a group, that's not covered by this.

A way to slow or interfere with weapon or skill use of adversaries coule enhance a group's surviviblity, but I think that Hacking & Biorepression do, or at least should do this at least to a degree. (Also doesn't seem apropriate to Jenquai)

A skill that can take a mob out of the fight is already covered by JE's compulsory contemplation, though it's limited very much by reactor drain, and inability to move or damage mob without breaking effect.

How can a Seeker think her way through a fight? How can that be applied to another skill? How would such skill be useful to a group, and give them the need for a Seeker that's not covered better by another class? Not really sure how this is best done. Any ideas?

Just a thought. How about allowing the Seeker the ability to build Jenquai restricted shields? All the way up to L9, just Jenquai only shields. I offer this in keeping with the Jenquai insularity, and overall desire to be independent of all other races, i.e. the Progens because of the original war in Jupiter, and the Terrans with their obsession for profit, etc. etc.

I just figure it always seemed kind of strange that a race determined to be insular, like the Jenquai, would overall neglect duplicating any or all technology that would allow them to sever trade ties without sacrificing too much of their tech base. Jenquai shields are not particularly useful to non-Jenquai, and my Explorer and Defender both run non-Jenquai shields atm.

Just an idea.

Paul

Elo, Elojd, Elotrader, Elojs

only problem with that is even jenquai usually dont use jenquai shields... I dont think it woudl work, besides terrains dont build reactors, progen dont build engines, and jen dont build shields.

the one other thing thats a bit unfair to the non tt classes, is that they cant even build stuff from other races (pp cant build jen stuff and js cant build progen stuff) so its one thing they have less builds, but then the builds they do have are limited morso. add the weaker builds of the JS to teh weaker combat support role and the weaker combat solo they are very underpowered right now in every way a trader can be.at least the PP is very effective in combat to make up for the lack of builds so they have one good strength

only problem with that is even jenquai usually dont use jenquai shields... I dont think it woudl work, besides terrains dont build reactors, progen dont build engines, and jen dont build shields.

the one other thing thats a bit unfair to the non tt classes, is that they cant even build stuff from other races (pp cant build jen stuff and js cant build progen stuff) so its one thing they have less builds, but then the builds they do have are limited morso. add the weaker builds of the JS to teh weaker combat support role and the weaker combat solo they are very underpowered right now in every way a trader can be.at least the PP is very effective in combat to make up for the lack of builds so they have one good strength

Very true, we Jenquai use Terran or Scale shields, until L8 then we use either a Defender's Doumaru (JW), Veiled Oyoroi (JE), or Prototype Sharim Shield (JT), all of which are made by the Mordana, until we find something better. Agreed it would be unfair to both Progen and Terran if the Seeker could build shields.

Privateer and Seeker cannot build Jenquai & Progen respectively, but both can build Terran. Privateer gets Reactor Build, and L5 Negotiate, Seeker's builds are all covered by Tradesman, but she gets L7 Negotiate.

Seeker really just needs that something special that puts her over the top. Reactor Optimization, helps there plenty, anyone fighting alongside a Seeker will have any energy problems lessened significantly, if not removed, by the Seeker once she reaches L5 of the skill and can cast it on others. Now for her last skill, she needs something no-one else can do, IMO, as well as something for her Sharim Affiliation skill (L1 skill obtained at OL135).

I think one of the devs mentioned on the old forums that there was another skill proposed that was awaiting approval for the JT, I think it was either Kenu or Marco, but I'm not sure. I do think they did an excellent job on Reactor Optimization.

If a Seeker is fighting solo something that can't knock down her shield faster than she can cast Shield Recharge, she more reactor power to re-cast it, than the other Traders. It's a matter of how long can her Jenquai Reactor hold out. Not to mention she'll likely be carrying at least 1 reactor recharge buff of some kind (common JQ buff).

re: JT shield building skills, yes, they can build shields. At least, they should get this skill, as was originally intended. Some may say Jenq shields are terrible, but only in their cap compared to terran and progen shields. The advantage of Jenq shields, especially rarer drop-only models, is the buffs they give. With player-made jenq shields, these unique and useful buffs become multiplied! The lower cap, and lower level (L8 max) can be offset by incredible buffs.

It's not "unfair" at all, rather, it would be unfair to Jenqs if no class could build shields. Consider that the PT can build reactors, and the PE builds shields. Both other races need the corresponding skill equality. TE builds reactors. TT builds shields. JE builds reactors. JT builds shields.

Remember, neither Jenq nor Prog may build or use the other's items, so this prevents any L8 200%QL progen shields on jenq ships. Jenq can only use L8 shields, max.

Each race has 1 item that no player can build, to foster race interdependency. Jenquai cannot build shields, Progen cannot build Engines, and Terrans cannot build reactors. However, any of the Jenquai Shields that are manufacturable can be analyzed and built by a TT. Jenquai have to buy their PM shields from a TT, Progen have to buy their PM engines from a Terran or a JT (unless the engine they want is Progen Only/Jenquai Restricted), Terrans have to buy their PM reactors from either a PT or a JE. Some of the reactors a Terran want may not be buildable by a Progen others might not be buildable by a Jenquai, most buildable by both.

Build skills by race/profession

Jenquai:

JE = Devices & Reactors

JW = Devices & Weapons

JT = Devices, Engines, Weapons, & Components

Progen:

PW = Weapons

PE = Devices & Sheilds

PT = Weapons, Shields, Components, Reactors

Terrans:

TT = Devices, Engines, Components, Weapons, & Shields

TW = Weapons & Engines

TE = Devices & Engines

The new skill leaves the JT only 1 skill short of the JW and JE. Any thoughts as to what her last skill should be? IMO whatever last unique skill she gets it should be raised on Explore Levels.

Well, I seem to remember something said about "DRONES".

If you look at the Terminal builds - Devices you'll see a Drones Icon I believe as one

of the builds.

Now, with that being said can you imagine the Possibilities?! :(

Levels accordingly

1) Make a Drone to pull aggro.

2) Or Make a Drone with Shield recharge.

3) Or make a Drone with a weapon of choice (There by being the JSeekers 5th weapon slot)

4) Or make a Drone with Reactor Optimazation.

5) Or Psionic Shield.

etc etc etc.

You can have only ONE Drone active (Device Slot) with ONLY ONE skill inherant

of the JSeeker's skills at any one time.

If a Drone is Destroyed its gone for good, untill you build another one or activate

another one.

GEEssH, I'd hate to code that !

Phorlaug...

post-1135-12621408008364_thumb.jpg

JE's were supposed to be the best at using drones. (I discussed this in detail on the previous message boards before they were wiped.) However, I see no reason why the JS couldn't be the ones who make drones. Or at least be the best at making them.

Building Drones could always fall under the Build Devices skill. Since they're mentioned under devices, and would save skill points for builders, since there aren't referrals in E&B Emulator. That would probably make Drone building easiest for JT and TT, since they could build both the drones themselves, the components to make them, and both have Negotiate 7. There could be some drones whose recipes are rewards for completing JT only missions.

had one of my odd brainstorms, JEs have shield leech, JDs have energy leech, what if JSs had a type of hull leech (kinda like nanobots eating away at the opponents hull), maybe the nanobots could repatch the JS's hull, but that's up for debate. I think it'd make a very nice combat skill.

had one of my odd brainstorms, JEs have shield leech, JDs have energy leech, what if JSs had a type of hull leech (kinda like nanobots eating away at the opponents hull), maybe the nanobots could repatch the JS's hull, but that's up for debate. I think it'd make a very nice combat skill.

Oooh, then you could tell someone "I'll destroy you from the inside out!" - I love it! :D

That's unique and interesting.

I'd say even if the JS had a Hull Leech kind of skill that you would still have to take down the shields, just as if you would in normal combat, perhaps you couldn't activate the skill until the opponent's shields were "critical" status or something like that

Each race has 1 item that no player can build, to foster race interdependency. Jenquai cannot build shields, Progen cannot build Engines, and Terrans cannot build reactors. However, any of the Jenquai Shields that are manufacturable can be analyzed and built by a TT. Jenquai have to buy their PM shields from a TT, Progen have to buy their PM engines from a Terran or a JT (unless the engine they want is Progen Only/Jenquai Restricted), Terrans have to buy their PM reactors from either a PT or a JE. Some of the reactors a Terran want may not be buildable by a Progen others might not be buildable by a Jenquai, most buildable by both.

Build skills by race/profession

Jenquai:

JE = Devices & Reactors

JW = Devices & Weapons

JT = Devices, Engines, Weapons, & Components

Progen:

PW = Weapons

PE = Devices & Sheilds

PT = Weapons, Shields, Components, Reactors

Terrans:

TT = Devices, Engines, Components, Weapons, & Shields

TW = Weapons & Engines

TE = Devices & Engines

No offense... but that list as written by WW/Ea or whoever is crap and it always was... we refer to it like its some kind of bible... but the whole thing really needs to be thought out better... I am not going to even attempt to provide so much as my opinion on how I feel it should be (actually I am not totally sure)... cuz it would just lead to a pointless never ending debate with many people just citing what is in their best interest... but what I am confident in saying is that list is junk and we should treat it as such

No offense... but that list as written by WW/Ea or whoever is crap and it always was... we refer to it like its some kind of bible... but the whole thing really needs to be thought out better... I am not going to even attempt to provide so much as my opinion on how I feel it should be (actually I am not totally sure)... cuz it would just lead to a pointless never ending debate with many people just citing what is in their best interest... but what I am confident in saying is that list is junk and we should treat it as such

Why is it junk? It's what each class actually builds. Defend your argument. Unless there is some new equipment added to the game, I would be against changing any of the build skills of the 9 classes, with the possible exception of giving JT and PT an additional build, (Reactors for JT, Devices for PT) and if added Lore skills (Progen Lore for JT, Jenquai Lore for PT, Terrans can already build Jenquai/Progen so they don't need Lore skills). Now if there is some new piece of equipment added, something that's not an Engine, Device, Weapon, Shield, Reactor, or Component then I could see changing build skills, but there isn't anything wrong with the build assignments per class. Now I could see putting more engines in the game, to make that skill better for the 4 classes with that skill, but I don't think any of them should have build engines switched for something else, absent some new types of equipment to build.

Now I could see putting more engines in the game, to make that skill better for the 4 classes with that skill, but I don't think any of them should have build engines switched for something else, absent some new types of equipment to build.

New and interesting engines might make engine building more attractive. As it stands now, IMO, build engines is the least interesting of all build skills.

with the possible exception of giving JT and PT an additional build, (Reactors for JT, Devices for PT) and if added Lore skills (Progen Lore for JT, Jenquai Lore for PT, Terrans can already build Jenquai/Progen so they don't need Lore skills).

I second giving build reactors to JT. If you look at the build skills, every race has at least 2 classes that can build to their racial strength except Jenquai. Engines = all 3 terrans, Shields = PT & PS, Reactors = JE only. Plus, as it stands, there is no building reason to pick a JT over a TT. TT can build everything that a JT can. At least with the PT they can build reactors.

I sympathize with the desire to have the JS build reactors. I think it would be absolutely appropriate, relieve the congestion of reactor builders, spur interest in what I consider to be a fun and excellent class, and be a good decision all around. But you'd have to take away some other build, and it shouldn't be engines. You have to have some non-Terran who builds engines, and despite what everyone seems to think, build engines is a very useful skill. The JS can't build everything but shields. The TTs as the hyper-specialized trader are intended to get more build skills than anyone else.

I've heard (although false rumor abounds in this game) that the JSs are getting a skill revamp. I completely support giving them reactor building. But what build would you take away?

I sympathize with the desire to have the JS build reactors. I think it would be absolutely appropriate, relieve the congestion of reactor builders, spur interest in what I consider to be a fun and excellent class, and be a good decision all around. But you'd have to take away some other build, and it shouldn't be engines. You have to have some non-Terran who builds engines, and despite what everyone seems to think, build engines is a very useful skill. The JS can't build everything but shields. The TTs as the hyper-specialized trader are intended to get more build skills than anyone else.

I've heard (although false rumor abounds in this game) that the JSs are getting a skill revamp. I completely support giving them reactor building. But what build would you take away?

Can't think of one you could take away from the JT. Mention of skill changes for the JT come from Marco's blog. I was only thinking of JT getting that build, if PT also got another build. Then again I also agree that the TT should own in building compared to the other traders. Now if there was a new type of equipment that isn't currently in the game, then it becomes more interesting. I don't think you could take away any of the JT's existing builds, definitely not components since she's a trader, and all traders also build weapons. Build Device 1 is used in the L30 Jenquai Promotion bonus mission, and since JT is a Trader with Explorer race traits, It's another reason that JT shouldn't lose build devices. That leaves engines, and I agree with you on Engines, since it's not a Jenquai racial weakness, and Build engines really doesn't fit JE or JW. We don't get L9 engines as Jenquai, but considering our engines, we're probably closer to the Terrans on that one than the Progen. Ours are almost as good, and when used by Terrans at least some of our engines are actually better in some situations.