Just need to vent (sorry if wrong place)

Just going to share an experience to vent. I just got griped at and reported for having a roid open while not being at my computer. Now i know it's probably annoying and most people would just move on or something. But calm down people. It's just a game. Why would you report someone because he's not at his computer. Then i got accused of cheating, etc and so on. My characters were just sitting there, i just accidentally left my miner with a roid open.

What im trying to say is ... it's a game people, not your life. Carrying on in PM, whining on general, and reporting someone for stuff that isn't all that bad is a bit excessive. Nothing anyone does here will kill you.

while that would annoy the piss out of me as well and i should think you were entitled no end of slack. it does make a verry solid argument for getting rid of field clearing bonuses, otherwise anyone that has to go afk at an inoportune time will be impacting the leveling experience of any other miner in that field.

In ST3 there was somebody in Glenn that *consistently* kept a gas cloud open and never responded to any attempt at communication. Though there would be a group of us all begging that person to please finish that last gas cloud to clear the field and allow us all to collect the bonus and begin the respawn timer that person never ever responded.

So I can see where people might assume that someone doing that is:

A ) macro mining

B ) griefing

C ) trying to "wait out" the other miners so they finally bail the area and he/she can collect the field bonus alone

D ) a jerk

Understand I'm not saying you are/were any of these but they are understandable responses. I guess I also don't follow why one would go AFK with a roid opened? Would you fire at a mob and then walk away?

I would reccomend removing the field bonus and add the empty roid bonus as it was in live, that way a player or a group will/can get the empty roid bonus and not worry about clearing a field

Speaking from experience, but perhaps real life happened and didn't have the chance to close out the 'roid before he had to go afk. It happens to be especially if I am doing things while waiting to get loaded or unloaded as I am a truck driver and some of these places can take hours to do either action. When they say come in for your paperwork, they mean it cause they want me out of that dock so someone else can get in there asap.

OMG YOU WENT AFK WITH A ROID OPEN... SOMEONE CALL THE ROID POLICE HURRY!!! THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR HAS TO BE STOPPED... I RECOMMEND THAT AN EXPLOSIVE DEVICE BE IMPLANTED TO ALL ENB PLAYERS WITH ALL THE OTHER PLAYERS HAVING REMOTE DETONATORS SO ONE WRONG MOVE AND I BLOW YOU UP!!!

...same sort of people who cry for a GM if someone swears.

This is becoming more and more of a problem too. E&B had (IMO) the best community of ANY game Ive ever played and while it was probably wrong on my part, I expected the Emu community to be the same. Too many players in the game have gotten the mind-set that since they played in ST #x they have some kind of privilege and are better. If someone asks for help they will berate them instead of helping them.

If you wanna act like an ass, go ahead. But remember that people DO remember that down the road...

Sorry I kinda highjacked you're thread, but it seemed fitting to respond to Mneme's message with what Ive been wanting to say.

• Upvote 1

As both a Forum Admin and a Deputy Game Master who deals with reports from both sides quite a bit I will add my 1 1/2 cents. ( I donated the other half cent, I'd have given it all but a guys gotta eat ya know. )

Pretty much anything anyone finds annoying is usually against the rules in any MMO you might play. Enforcement, on the other hand, tends to vary widely. However, we who maintain the peace in the Earth and Beyond Emulator place the pleasure of our general population very seriously. This is why we take action on what some think are silly things like language and potential botting or macro usage. These activities are simply not allowed and if we hear of it it gets investigated. If we find it to be fact we are not going to swing the ban hammer the first time unless we are forced to do so and those who have faced our justice can attest to this.

Just because you get reported doesn't mean you are automatically guilty or that you should get all defensive about it. If a GM, or more likely a DGM or HGM approaches you about it, tell em your side and it will be weighed equally against the report. Usually, unless there has been a pattern of infractions, and we know who they are as well as they do, it will likely end there, no harm, no foul. Venting on the forums doesn't help matters because now everyone knows about the circumstances and regardless of our judgment will judge you on your rant which rarely turns out well. These are the things folks remember. This is when folks say, "I saw it in the forums... So & So did this or that" and it is documented for all to see until it fades into forum oblivion. That can take from an hour to weeks or longer.

The best advice I can give is to not break the rules, and I'm not saying the poster did or did not, I'm not familiar with the specific case. I mean this in regard to anyone who plays, tests, hangs out or whatever else they might have to do with the game. We don't have many and the rules we do have are designed to keep the community family safe. I know of several children at least that play and they do not need to be subjected to certain things. Macros and botts upset our currently non-existent game economy and while not that important now, it surely will be when we go live. Also do not jump to conclusions about things you see going on in the game. Everyone lets a word slip now and again, everyone steps away from the keyboard for a few for many reasons. Unless you see this become a habit for a given player, just let it go. It it comes to that, then report it and let us do our jobs.

As for whether or not we will go into live with the roid field clearing bonus, there is a Suggestion forum you can use for that. Make sure when you make your suggestions that you state your reasons clearly along with any alternative ideas you may have. While I agree our Dev Team and Support Staff do an awesome job, we've hardly thought of every possibility.

Maybe all we need is a roid lock timeout of a couple of minutes, after which the server automatically deselects the roid for you. Would that be a better solution? It'd be easy to implement.

Until now I didn't know this was a problem. We certainly don't want to spoil the asteroid clearance bonus just because of a couple of people leaving roids open for whatever reason.

• Upvote 2

Maybe all we need is a roid lock timeout of a couple of minutes, after which the server automatically deselects the roid for you. Would that be a better solution? It'd be easy to implement.

Until now I didn't know this was a problem. We certainly don't want to spoil the asteroid clearance bonus just because of a couple of people leaving roids open for whatever reason.

wow, if it's that easy I'd say go for it TB, but then again, that's just my opinion.

I like this solution Tienbau, it seems like it would solve the problem eloquently, without having to do much work :-P

Actually, real life did happen, i even tried to explain it to him. To which he replied i was lieing and still reported me, apparently with screen shots and all according to him. To be honest i never even thought about field clearing bonuses before and such, i used to leave roids open all the time in live when i had to go do something real quick. Not because i wanted to make it difficult for anyone, just because it didn't matter all that much.

As for annoying people, sure it's not good, but this is just a game. People will be annoyed by other people. Heck, i find some people's personalities abrasive even. That's life. If i went around trying not to annoy anyone im sure people might like me but id be afraid to do anything. My point is that sure, reporting people is good for when there is a bad problem or something that can't be solved nicely, so on and so fourth. It shouldn't be used because someone does something you don't like. We all play differently, have different real life matters to attend to and some times the game isn't the priority.

The reason for the post on the forum was just to point out that some people need to take a breath and realize it's just a game. Taking things too seriously is bad for your health when this is supposed to be something fun to do. Carrying on and annoying everyone is not the correct response to something that bothers you. Nore is griefing someone or trying to chastise them over something that may seem big to you, but in reality the 1200 XP you might have lost or something isn't going to make or break you.

The point of the post was not only to make me feel better but to pass along the advice: Calm down guys, playing a game is not a job.

Simpl Tienb just azza do iz to let us put in guard spwns dat only spawn if sum1 'as not mined fer a bit 'n still as lockd unto a 'roid

Reson:

Mob waitz fer a bit but if yer scan roid or cloud the chnce yer atrct a mob goes up der longr yer 'ave it open. Den when a time set in der sectr editr 'as xpred 'n iz trigr a mob spawn of +1 CL to der miner 'n getz a spris attak first. Be gud if dis mob wud go if der plyer left de sectr.

Or:

Each roid or gas yer 'ave open n yer react aint chrge up den each 60 secs yer not doin nowt yer get fined 1000 cr per level of roid. Dis wud giz a reasn not to 'ave it open fer long cuz yer loosn creds fast den.

Or:

Der roid to 'ave pop ores instd of pop roids whre each ore init could spwn a mob or xplde wiz dam dirct ter yer hull az it is via yer minin lazer. Der longr yer 'ave it open der more chnce yer got 'o dat 'appen.

Or:

Get on wiz each other

[Work puter]

• Downvote 2

Sir Boss, I think the reason it would get annoying is this: If the person plays anything like me, they clear a field, get the field cleared bonus, wormhole to another location and start working on another location, clear that, wormhole to another location, clear that, then go back to the original location, by one person holding up the field clear bonus (especially if the other person is counting on it) it throws off the other person's whole plan. As far as the accusation of cheating goes, I don't know, perhaps (s)he's one of those that doesn't believe in multiboxing, but unless the DEVs say concrete "absolutely not" the majority of people don't consider that to be cheating.

my suggestions:

- No exploding "jack-a-roids" (the insanely high level mobs that would pop out of 'roids randomly)... hated them in live, and am not looking forward to their return

- No field clearing bonus, but replace that with a higher per-asteroid/cloud emptying bonus.

- I like the forced de-select on roids that aren't consistently being mined (more than 10sec with an open roid and no pulling, it auto-closes the window)

- People like to cherry pick roids for the best or rarest resources, so once a roid has been opened and any resource taken from it with other resources left behind, it will despawn after five minutes

- SHORTER (much shorter) respawn time for roid/gas fields, and longer respawn times for guardian mobs assigned to those fields, with these times adjusted for and scaling with the difficulty/level of the field:

--- lowbie fields should have very low level guardian mobs, with a fast field respawn timer (especially in the newb zones for miners/explorers: Equatorial Earth is not fun with its three most accessible fields on a 30-minute timer and more than four newb TS's scooting about competing for that nickel ore

--- on the other extreme, the lv. 9 ore fields in Blackbeard's Wake should have a longer respawn timer and nasty, aggro/linking ore gaurdians (effectively, no substantial change from the current scheme)

- The BEST fix would be to have roids respawn like mobs - take a nice wide belt, and by the time you've gotten halfway around the belt, the spot you started at is beginning to respawn.

/Off topic but still a rant

The only suggestion I have to add is to ban people who use that ever so annoying leet speak. It started out as a bunch of short form form codes and now it's just gone to an extreme childlike spelling level which continues to de-evolve the english language into the realms of Sanscrit.

/On topic

I am sure the GM's do their best to keep track of the people that report absolutely every little thing and give the complaints their proper level of action. Just remember the old "Boy who Cried Wolf" story. Keep complaining about the pettiest little things and no one will listen to the larger ones.

My 2 cents.

Lorik.

oh I like this idea!

TBH I don't mind the Jack a roids, so long as they're of apropriate level to the miner that should be mining the orefield. Now if a OL150 JE is mining an orefield apropraite to his level, and a CL60 jack-a-roid were to pop up I would think it's excessive. However, a CL49 on one is reasonable IMO. In Live Jack-a-roid mobs could often be avoided from asteroids (not so with hulks), because the asteroids usually looked different from the other ones of the same level & type.

TBH I don't mind the Jack a roids, so long as they're of apropriate level to the miner that should be mining the orefield. Now if a OL150 JE is mining an orefield apropraite to his level, and a CL60 jack-a-roid were to pop up I would think it's excessive. However, a CL49 on one is reasonable IMO. In Live Jack-a-roid mobs could often be avoided from asteroids (not so with hulks), because the asteroids usually looked different from the other ones of the same level & type.

Agreed. So long as they were appropriately leveled the jack-a-roids were actually fun and a good break from mining.