Using proper chat channels

For a while I have been guilty of using the new players and market channel for all kinds of topics and discussions which don't belong there. I have had a DEV or GM tell me to move it to OOC or General a few times, and at times some players will remind me of the same.

Why do we do this, is it plain laziness as can't be bothered to switch to the proper channel or simply disregard for the rules? Should the rules be strictly enforced.

It's easy to get off topic with a single comment and then tunnel vision. Sometimes it takes a poke from a third party so people realize it and move to the correct channel. It happens to everyone from time to time. I think enforcement is exactly where it needs to be for this issue. 

I was expecting a bit more of a response judging by the way this is almost always an issue in the game, yes I agree completely it is easy to get off topic, all it takes is one comment and there we go :p

It's easy to get off topic with a single comment and then tunnel vision. Sometimes it takes a poke from a third party so people realize it and move to the correct channel. It happens to everyone from time to time. I think enforcement is exactly where it needs to be for this issue. 

+1

Ban hammer on stand by !

"C'est la vie", a French phrase, "Such is life", are you aware that I had to go look that up Darkk :p, agreed it's easy to forget however be warned someone has a ban hammer on standby.

Though I must insist we can do better, ever been off topic in new player chat and someone asks a question and it gets swept away by all the off topic chatter, happened today.

tbh, I think proper chat channels should be strictest in regards to market channel, and more leeway to the other ones. I.e. if someone has a short off topic convo in new players or general chat instead of ooc, its not as big of a deal as if it occurs in market.

my 2 cents

I'd say that New Player and Market are the most important to be kept clear of topics belonging in other channels.  As fireribs said, a new player looking for help can easily be lost along a fast moving or many partied discussion (which is ususally not related to new player topics).  The same for market, looking to sell/buy something and you have to scroll around to find that answer that flew by can be difficult.

Just remember where you are talking, and if you find yourself in a longer conversation that isn't for that channel, move it to the right one :)

• Upvote 1

I try to keep with proper channels...

However, sometimes I feel some channels are fairly less viewed, that's when if I have a question, if I can't get from "General", I check with other channels...

and I never ever use New Players...