New News Feeds/Voice Actors

Zackman

[quote name='Noxmire' timestamp='1323360711' post='49355']
...and patching them in so that the Net-7 station & relays can broadcast them?
[/quote]

I think the voiceovers are coded into/within the client? Edited by Zackman

[quote name='Zackman' timestamp='1323361070' post='49356']
I think the voiceovers are coded into/within the client?
[/quote]
I think they know how to replace the sound files, so swapping out some of the old news reports with new ones shouldn't be a problem. Adding more news reports may be a bit more difficult...

[quote name='Knix' timestamp='1323437561' post='49394']
I think they know how to replace the sound files, so swapping out some of the old news reports with new ones shouldn't be a problem. Adding more news reports may be a bit more difficult...
[/quote]

not really, they're just .mp3 files. They can be fairly easy to add, just not possible to conceal them by putting them back into a mixfile and getting it to work.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1323466849' post='49462']
not really, they're just .mp3 files. They can be fairly easy to add, just not possible to conceal them by putting them back into a mixfile and getting it to work.
[/quote]

So the system will defer to mp3s with the right name in the directory, if they are present? Do we know what the file names are, sample rates, etc? That'd be fun to do, even if it would only affect my own audio...

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1323466849' post='49462']
[/quote]

Since they're simple, does that mean that the most noticable thing to players would be that the voice on those reports that weren't in live would be different?

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1323467674' post='49466']
probably both the common & sound directories. Under \data\client\ I think.

rates and such I really don't have off the top of my head though, sorry. :)
[/quote]

I managed to find them, and there's a TON of them. Obviously meant to be used at various points as the story unfolded. There are dups, you get one that's for outside the station, and another identical one for inside the station, well not identical, it has some tonal modifications and less reverb in the INT version.

I'll keep playing with it...

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1323469053' post='49471']
Since they're simple, does that mean that the most noticable thing to players would be that the voice on those reports that weren't in live would be different?
[/quote]

[size=2]Yeah, we essentially lack only good recordings/vocals for our new characters and an idea of where we want the story to unfold to of doing stuff just for them. :)[/size]

Get me some scripts, I will read em out. I am always told I have a voice for radio. Of course, I always thought I sounded weird, but had a perfect face for radio.

[quote name='Riz' timestamp='1323475372' post='49495']
Get me some scripts, I will read em out. I am always told I have a voice for radio. Of course, I always thought I sounded weird, but had a perfect face for radio.
[/quote]

I'll volunteer too. Here's a "demo" of [url="http://www.federalproductions.com/studio/videos/flying-tigers-group-va-promotional-video/"]me doing a reading[/url], actually I did the whole thing...

India leads the Scouts and not Loric DeGrey? Curious. do Theodoric Cassel still lead the Privateers and Ariad the Seekers? Those were the NPCs that, in Live gave missions for those factions. Agreed that we'd definitely need voice actors of both genders and more than one.

[quote name='Riz' timestamp='1323475372' post='49495']
[/quote]

cool! One of the content devs (I forget who) also has a great 'pilot on the radio' style voice. Hopefully we can get the project further along to actually use these folks.

Now we just need to find some good female voice actors from the player base ...

[b]Good morning.[/b]

One of my professions (got a few) is working as a professional Sound-Engineer and a voice-over artist, located in germany.

I will be happy to help out since i have a record-studio here.
I can do voice-overs in english (german accent) and in german as well (male).

I would like to takeover the finishing of all voice overs here, which is (in detail) post-processing and mastering.
All voice overs should be of the same sound quality and levels.

[b]A few tips for recording:[/b]
[list][*]Voice overs should be in mono (become stereo in mastering)[*]44 (better 48) KHz[*]16 Bit (better 24)[*]Wave or aif format[*]Use a condenser mic (dynamic microphones are usually arent good enough for studio-vocals)[*]To avoid plop/wind noise - use a pantyhose over the mic[*]do not turn your head while talking[*]since we do normal speaking, come close to the mic but not too close[*]avoid any rrom reverberation. If you have reverberation in your room, use a blanket over your head and mic to avoid reflections from the room[*]please do not use any compression, de-esser or other tools in the record chain - thats done in the postprocessing[*]voice overs are like good actors: You have to "live" what you are talking about. Anyone will hear an unemotional reading - comparable to a bad actor talking like a robot[/list]

If the developers feel the urge to move on in this topc, feel free to join me into the "TFVO" (Task force voice-over).

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1323493567' post='49520']
Now we just need to find some good female voice actors from the player base ...
[/quote]

Make an official thread/call for it maybe?
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
I think the Jenquai actors should have an Azn accent like the Red Dragons lol and the progens have a red neck or john luke picard accent cause most are bald and American looking, and terrans should definitely have British accent they know how to make money and keep it! British men should talk suave like in the game protocol for ps3.

Don't condenser mics cost 300-500 a piece?

[quote name='Orga2' timestamp='1325969100' post='51139']
I think the Jenquai actors should have an Azn accent like the Red Dragons lol and the progens have a red neck or john luke picard accent cause most are bald and American looking, and terrans should definitely have British accent they know how to make money and keep it! British men should talk suave like in the game protocol for ps3.

Don't condenser mics cost 300-500 a piece?
[/quote]
heh, Jean Luc Picard was French and played by a British man, but that's American looking? :)