Net7Config.exe For Running Custom Resolutions

There is a way to run custom screen resolutions.

I am also going to explain how to run multiple clients at the same time follow the directions as I lay them out.

A few preliminaries to get out of the way.

Windows xp users can skip this part.

[url=http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Scootemagoo/media/EVILMAGOO-INC/Screen%20Shots/Tutorials/shortcutproperties_zps22eac40c.png.html]shortcutproperties_zps22eac40c.png[/URL]

It says windows xp service pack 2 you can use either 2 or 3.

Windows Vista/7 users navigate to C:\NET7\bin (or wherever you have net7 installed to) you need to be in the bin folder, you need to sort the folder by type.

You are looking for the .exe files

Detours.exe - Launcher.exe - LaunchNet7.exe - net7proxy.exe

In a seperate windows open your game install folder.

C:\Program Files/(x86 if 64bit)\EA Games\Earth & Beyond\Character and Starship Creator\Character and Starship Creator.exe
C:\Program Files\EA Games\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG E&BConfig.exe

C:\Program Files\EA Games\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG net7config.exe

C:\Program Files\EA Games\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG VIDTEST.exe
C:\Program Files\EA Games\Earth & Beyond\release\ client.exe
C:\Program Files\EA Games\Earth & Beyond ColorChange.exe e&b.exe gpatch.exe patch.exe

You need to right click each exe and click on properties and click on the compatibility tab.

Click on compatibility mode / select Windows XP Service pack 3.
Next on the same tab at the bottom there is a check box with "Run this program as an administrator." make sure this is checked.

This way settings will be saved.
Click Apply to save it and click okay to close the window.

See the above picture for refference.

All of these exe files MUST be set to windows xp service pack 3 and run as admin.
You must also have the game shut down and all the net7launchers and client.exes must be closed.

Special credit to those of you with login issues and vista/7.
If you are running vista/7 without a 3rd party firewall (norton eset comodo etc) then you have a firewall running that came with your operating system and occasionally you need to "port" a files thru it to allow internet access so the game will run 1 and run multiple clients.

Only do this as a last resort if setting everything else above this point has been done.(searing I'm looking at you) then try this.

Open the start menu - open the control panel - open windows firewall - left hand command panel click on advanced settings - this will open a new window called windows firewall and advanced security.

Click on outgoing rules on the left hand side - on the right hand side panel click on new rule. - it will open a new window called new outbound rule wizard.

This is where it gets a little complicated.

On the left side click on rule type make sure you have Program checked - click on next - make sure "This Program Path" is checked and click on browse - You need to allow the exe's in C:\Net7\Bin thru the firewall that is -- Launcher.exe - LaunchNet7.exe - net7proxy.exe - all of these files need a rule created for them.
You need to do this with Client.exe in the ea games/earth and beyond/Release/client.exe.

Once the above is done click on next and the click "Allow the connection" make sure the dot is checked( or you just blocked the program from the internet) - click next make sure all 3 boxes are checked- click next - add a name for your rule.

Do this for all of the exe's I listed.

Once you have made the 4 new rules you will have fully "ported" e&b and the net7 emulator software full access to the internet and it'll allow you to run multiple clients at once.

Now back to setting up your screen resolution

Windows xp users you can start following along at this point again.

When done making the file compatible and run as admin find the net7config.exe and double click to open.(It's in the EBCONFIG folder)

Double click the net7config.exe to open it.

The is where your choices abound I run a hp laptop with a screen rez of 1280 by 800 it's a 16:10 widescreen

I run windowed mode checked
width 1270
height 740
auto detect checked
anisotropic is in the spinner window

Here is what my sceen looks like playing the game and a little bonus tip and why you set you taskbar up.

Move-restore_zps8dae4139.jpg

This is a little different screen shot from the original which mysteriously dissapeared, this is windows 8 just after it released but you get the basic idea.

I see my toolbar at the bottom of the screen, the game window is exactly the size of my desktop from my toolbar to the top of the screen. Since I run windows 7 the start icon just over laps the bottom edge of the silver bar around the game.

To make your changes permanent you need to run the video test.

Test your settings with the test performance button till you are happy click apply and okay and it'll save your settings for you.

I used to run 2 different sized monitors. This laptop and a 24 inch 16:10 flat screen.

I figured it out that you would have to run 2 different installs to set the screen rez to each screen.

Next part is your taskbar setup.

Right click your taskbar at the bottom of your screen( it's where the start button sits) and click on properties and the important one is in the middle of the Taskbar tab - click on the Taskbar buttons down arrow and select NEVER combine. This way when you multi-client on the same computer you can easily click windows back and forth.
Click apply and okay as usual to save the settings.

[url=http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Scootemagoo/media/EVILMAGOO-INC/Screen%20Shots/Tutorials/taskbarproperties_zps3a695e92.png.html]taskbarproperties_zps3a695e92.png[/URL]

Launcher settings:

[url=http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Scootemagoo/media/EVILMAGOO-INC/Screen%20Shots/Tutorials/launcherwindow_zps18440ac1.png.html]launcherwindow_zps18440ac1.png[/URL]

This is the current launcher window (as of 8/22/14)

Where the server address is at there is 4 check boxes Packet Optimization - Prototype Reorder - Disable Mouse Lock - Delete TH6 Files.

The first two boxes if you check them will fix your crashing problems in groups and in raids and high traffic combat. it will I promise.

The Disable mouse lock eliminates the need to press the windows key or alt tab.

Delete TH6 files was added because this games file system sometimes corrupts and the game crashes, use this if your game crashes at loadup or at character select and it crashes going in.

You can also go into the games main folder/data/client/mixfiles and delete all of the th6 files there database files and the game recreates them either method works.

Bonus points in the top picture of my pw and my cursor over the aero window thats how you min/max your game window if you accidentally shrunk it to the task bar.

it's why the aero preview is checked in the taskbar property window.

You can also move your window from here click move - hold down the left mouse button and put it wherever you want.

This is how i can change clients and set the game up to run on any vista/7 computer takes about 5-10 minutes max.

If you have any questions beyond this post ask me ingame. I'll try and help you as best I can.

Good luck and Thank You to the dev's to make this possible.

Edited by Tradermagoo
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
you might want to get this 'tag'd' on the net-7 portal site and here in the proper areas where installs are explained.....i've got these questions more then once..not sure who prob cdel or some other web devs etc

my 2c worth

searing Edited by Dakynos
removed quote

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
umm, my eyes are getting older now so this might be me, but I'm looking all over for the torrent link file Magoo mentioned, and I don't see it here, in Magoo's profile, or in Net7's download section? Do I need fresh glasses?

• 2 weeks later...
The folder i was hosting is now in the games updates and is on your computer now.

Open your game install folder and there it is follow the directions as above and you should be on your way Thank You guys for pinning this and putting it into the game.

• 1 month later...
Here's some more info for those either having trouble setting the resolution you want in net7config.exe and/or running 2 separate custom resolutions. *Note: this guide was written for Windows 7, there may be minor differences for other OS's.

Manually Setting the resolution:

1. Open Regedit (Windows Key + r -> type regedit -> press enter)

2. Search for RenderDeviceWidth (Edit -> Find -> RenderDeviceWidth -> Enter)

*Note: there may be several of these keys, an easy way to find the right one is to first set your EnB resolution to something goofy that you normally don't use- then when that decimal value shows up (in parenthesis) for the RenderDeviceWidth key you know you have the right one.

3. Manually set RenderDeviceWidth and RenderDeviceHeight to whatever you want (make sure to check the decimal otherwise it will think you're entering hex by default)

Setting two different resolutions for multiple monitors:

1. Download and install sandboxie ([url="http://www.sandboxie.com/"]http://www.sandboxie.com/[/url]) and optionally, go into default sandbox settings and uncheck 'display border around window'

2. In Explorer, go to C:\Windows and right-click regedit.exe and choose 'Run Sandboxed' and hit OK if a security prompt pops up.

3. Follow the same process as show above for manually setting your resolution and adjust the values for your other (Sandboxed) screen

4. Right-click on LaunchNet7.exe and choose 'Run Sandboxed' to run settings for your other screen.

Sandbox Info:
Sandboxie allows you to run 'sandboxed' instances of any program, meaning anything that happens in the sandbox stays in the sandbox. What we're using it for here is to create a sandboxed version of different settings for Earth and Beyond, specifically (but not limited to) the registry hive.

I hope this solved some problems people were having and if it didn't- make sure everything is set to admin/windows xp sp3 compatibility first.

Just remember: Anytime you want to run the sandboxed version of EnB just right-click the launcher and 'Run Sandboxed' :-) Edited by torcheon

[quote name='Rowdy' timestamp='1345683705' post='62187']
Can some one help me i cannot get enb to run.it keeps crashing right after you try logging in with megan
[/quote]

What setup are you trying to run? custom resolutions? 1 or 2 screens? What OS are you running? What kind of computer / video card? Did you Admin/SP3 everything?

• 1 month later...
Worked for me (WIN 7 64) but I do not have these files in my install:

C:\Program Files/(x86 if 64bit)\EA Games\Earth & Beyond\Character and Starship Creator\Character and Starship Creator.exe
C:\Program Files\EA Games\Earth & Beyond ColorChange.exe e&b.exe gpatch.exe patch.exe

Also I cant get the mouse to leave the window, alt-tab permamantly minimizes the game to the task bar and it cannot be restored.

Kayjay if you open your task manager and open the left side tab(applications) right click the game exe's in the list and click bring to front restores them.\

All the files you listed are in the game install folder I use a program called Agent Ransack to find files that seem to be missing since the windows search really sucks in windows 7.

You do not need to do color change or gpatch or patch the launcher handles all that for you just get the ones i listed.

I just reinstalled the entire game from scratch on a different laptop and all the files listed were installed with the unified launcher installer.

Follow the prompts in the installer and let it install everything it needs to.

I did notice with the new launcher installer a lot of the files already have the windows xp sp3 and run as admin checked.

Check all the files that I listed to make sure and leave the other ones alone.

• 1 month later...
Hi, me again. once i log in the second account, both accounts seem to be locked in the toolbar, and, i can not change between the games, i cant restore either of them as well. Where did I go wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

mindy,

Hope it already works for you, if not read on.

Hover the mouse over the E&B icon in the taskbar, then one or more thumbnail icons will pop up. Move the mouse over the popped up thumnails, and click restore (move or full-screen, depending on how you set it up). Alternately, you can use the Task Manager, right click on E&B, then select Restore.

You can fix this once and for all by doing what was said in the OP: Set Compatibility mode to WIn-XP-SP3 for all executables. Edited by VincentTH

• 3 weeks later...

I do not have a display setting size that I like in the enbconfig so I tried changing them in the reg. like was suggested.  I cannot get that size to stick.  It will only launch the screen from the size listed in the enbconfig program.  Any thoughts?

Running the game as admin comes to mind.

Second thing is you might never have actually ran one of the configs and the test video and saved it so the settings are stored in the registry.

Why not use the net7config and leave the registry hacking to others?

You can see by my screen shot above how my screen looks.

That screen setting was on my other laptop it's 1675/985 to make it fit like that.

I'd like to see you hack your registry 20 times to get it that close and run the vid to hold the settings..

My two cents worth why work harder when you can work smarter.

I was running the game and net7config file as admin.  I was missing the the run as admin on 2 of the .exe files so they would not save my settings I assume.  Once changed I was able to set the screen size to fit like yours does Magoo and it is good now.

Editing the reg. was a last resort.  I preferred to do it thru the interface which is working now.

Thanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same problem Mindy is having. I have set all my exe's to run as admin, and in winxp sp3 when i minimize the game it will not maximize. when i click restore it brings up a blank EULA box. with accept or decline buttons.  any ideas?

edit: I followed Magoo's steps to the letter.

Edit edit: I found a work around using the task manager. now it works. will report back soon.

Edited by Randosps/Ibuilder

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

First time user, first post ;)

I am running Windows 8 on a laptop that is connected to a 46" 1080p TV. Here are a few things I noticed trying to follow the suggestions:

When I go looking for:

Net7/bin folder:

I find the following:

Detours.exe - Launcher.exe - LaunchNet7.exe - net7proxy.exe in my Net7 bin, I find that I don't have Launcher.exe. I do have the other 3.

Detours.exe:  Has XP service pack 3 for compatibility.

LaunchNet7 only has compatability options for Vista [all service packs] and win7. Nothing for XP.

Net7proxie has XP service pack 3 for compatibility.

I then go to my game install folder and look for the following:

[folder/file not found. Because I didn't download it. Is it needed to get the game to work properly? I logged in and was on a station, seemed to be fine].

C:\Program Files\EA Games\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG E&BConfig.exe / net7config.exe / VIDTEST.exe

[I think this was written "wrong"

C:\Program Files\EA Games\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\  then look for *.exe files in folder]

C:\Program Files\EA Games\Earth & Beyond\release client.exe

E&BConfig.exe Has XP service pack 3 compatibility

net7config.exe has XP service pack 3  compatibility

VIDTEST.exe has XP service pack 3 compatibility

As LaunchNet7 [only has compatability options for Vista [all service packs] and win7. Nothing for XP]. is the only one without XP service pack 3 compatibility, is that causing the issue with not being able to full screen the game?

I really don't want to go through the registry editing key values.

I am having the same problem Mindy is having. I have set all my exe's to run as admin, and in winxp sp3 when i minimize the game it will not maximize. when i click restore it brings up a blank EULA box. with accept or decline buttons.  any ideas?

edit: I followed Magoo's steps to the letter.

Edit edit: I found a work around using the task manager. now it works. will report back soon.

How did you use task manager?