Server up or down?

Yes we do use SQL and yes it's more than good enough to run our MMO :) Although obviously it isn't just SQL, the database is just one component of the server - we use it for content and storing player data.

SQL but not MySQL? hmmm.. k. That's different, costly too (apart from Express edition). Not Linux friendly either.

Yep, image works. Says Offline.

SQL but not MySQL? hmmm.. k. That's different, costly too.

Yep, image works. Says Offline.

I think it is MySQL from what I saw in the SVN (but still no idea how to get it working!).

Definitely MySQL. SQL just stands for Structured Query Language. There are many implementations of this concept, including MSSQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MySQL, among others.

I think what Tien was getting at was that they use a relational database to store content and other data instead of it existing in a flat-file format. This provides many benefits in ways data can be manipulated and optimized.

I don't know what ENB used originally. Some history on that from anyone who knows would be cool.

I don't know what ENB used originally. Some history on that from anyone who knows would be cool.

Has anyone asked any of the original guys?... Do any of the original guys know about your efforts?... I am sure that the original people working at Westwood who got shutdown and fired are not exactly happy with EA - I am not saying that they do anything illegal and hand over source code (if they had it), but there must be someone willing to have a chat and answer basic questions like this!

As a newbie here, I don't want to annoy anyone, but perhaps it is worth sending off a "community" driven email to Petroglyph games giving our best wishes and just asking a few questions which people may have?

Yeah, usually when people say SQL, they are referring to Microsoft SQL. MySQL is something else. It's actually what I use for my own project and it works well. I haven't looked into the SVN here yet, so not sure what db they are using.

Well, the servers are online again: unfortunately, no characters are left on any of my accounts...were there more terminal problems than first anticipated?

Istvan 108 TT

Lauryn 105 TE

Leode 67 JE

Rixje 37 JE

Well, the servers are online again: unfortunately, no characters are left on any of my accounts...were there more terminal problems than first anticipated?

Istvan 108 TT

Lauryn 105 TE

Leode 67 JE

Rixje 37 JE

Check again. "offline".

I would highly recommend you wait until there is an announcement from the Server team before attempting to log in.

You never know what effect this will have on the system.

They are currently attempting to ROLL BACK the database to get back the lost characters.

Please bear with us whilst we attempt to get the system back up.

Hi,

not sure when the server will be back up again - one of the other devs is rolling the SQL player database back so ppl can get their chars back but it looks like he's having trouble with it.

Yes we do use SQL and yes it's more than good enough to run our MMO :) Although obviously it isn't just SQL, the database is just one component of the server - we use it for content and storing player data.

TB

Is there an IRC-Channel for EnB ?

I just successfully logged on & off the server. It's Jan 13th @ 1547 Central (GMT -6) 3:47 P.M. Why a simple database restore should take almost a day is beyond me. It should've been a half hour operation... TOPS!

I just successfully logged on & off the server. It's Jan 13th @ 1547 Central (GMT -6) 3:47 P.M. Why a simple database restore should take almost a day is beyond me. It should've been a half hour operation... TOPS!

It may not have just been a straight database restore as you so put it....

Repair any other corruption caused by the bug that werent apparent and the time. Also please remember, you have no idea how big the database is, how the backup is done, or what format any of the files are.

The backups may have been done and had to be restored, copied from elsewhere, also integrity checks on the backup... you dont know how many backsup have been restored before finding a suitable one.

There are many many factors when working with databases and not always as straight forward as first thought..