Item losses

Hi,

as some of you know there have been a few item losses lately.

This is unfortunate, but is as a result of switching over to a faster and more reliable inventory tracking system. This is needed because of the ongoing problem with occasional losses here and there of items/skill pts/levels etc. The patch is designed to eliminate those losses.

Ideally we would have a global inventory wipe to transition to the new system, but I have added code to transition without the need for this. In the process, it's possible a few items were lost here and there, but for most people everything is still there.

Please be aware this is all part of increasing the capacity and reliability of the server. I know we could leave things 'as is', but we are hoping for an increased player base, and increased reliability and because of this doing nothing is not an option, as the system in its old form was clearly unreliable.

The incidences of item loss, and especially skill pts, levels and XP should be dramatically reduced after these changes, so ultimately it _is_ a step in the right direction.

Cheers all, and see you in game,

TB.

• Upvote 3

So should we expect things to keep disappearing?

I know I personally have lost alot, but i would rather not loose more if can be helped.

What about things that have been lost? Can we expect to get them back or they gone for good?

Also not sure you fixed this but as of about an hour and half ago I crashed and lost over half of my vault do to the save issue, not bad in itself other than some of the items were Fish bowl ammo components, hate to loose any more of these.

Is it worth getting back on or should people that rely on their vaults not use those characters for a few days?

Again should we expect things to keep disappearing, Especially from Vaults??

I have not experienced any item loss so far, my objects are things made by me, things looted by me things made by other people and things looted by other people and then made into things they then gave to me. ALso have some things that were just straight up looted by other people and put into my hands. All these items were created fairly recently in the past week or so. I probably also have a few vendor bought noob items in my vault to see if I can pass it off to the next guy who needs em so hopefully they stay or that noobs gonna be sad that I gone done broke his reactor :P

So should we expect things to keep disappearing?

Again should we expect things to keep disappearing, Especially from Vaults??

I need to stop writing long posts.

Here is a summary of the above post:

1. Some items were lost in the transition to an improved inventory handling system.

2. The new system should prevent this loss from happening again, even in the limited form that we had before the change.

3. Sorry about this.

TB

TB what im saying is I lost stuff today not an hour and a half before my first post.

What Im wondering is, was this fixed after I lost my items in my vault or before it happened?

If it was before I lost stuff today, then the bug still exists, if it was after then cool i wont worry about it.

TB what im saying is I lost stuff today not an hour and a half before my first post.

What Im wondering is, was this fixed after I lost my items in my vault or before it happened?

If it was before I lost stuff today, then the bug still exists, if it was after then cool i wont worry about it.

Given that the server has only been up for about an hour and a half, I think he just put the fixes in. Your item loss most likely occurred before the fix.

i lost some low level equipment (rada lvl4, some engines and rr+ for explore tours)...

but most importantly, looted stuff, namely reactors, shields, devices.

i detect at least the loss of 1 honor lvl4, 1 loa lvl4, heart reactors lvl2, 3 and 4, other low level reactors, scale lvl4, and a bunch of other shields and devices lvl1 to 5, at very least and looted ogun ammo.

nothing else of importance i think. lost most of the stuff on the character i made last, the TS, in the vault. probably accounts for 1/3 of the vault.

a guildie lost half or more of his vault.

Edited by LPCA

I haven't noticed anything missing from any of my toons. Thank you Tienbau for giving us information on the issue.

Ditto/ I've been lucky enough not to lose anything, nor do I really have that much of value to lose I guess..... But I thank you guys for your work on the problem. And to people who are experiencing problems, all I can do is say sorry you have to endure it and that hopefully things will get better as we progress. :)

also one final check I added was to ensure that after a shutdown has completed and logged out any remaining players, it will pause until the save queue is completely written to the database.

I think some items/XP etc that have been lost between shutdowns are because there are have been instructions on the save queue still to be processed when the server actually terminates.

I don't know if it's related to the save issues, but I logged in my JS yesterday, and found him in OMP. I don't recall leaving him there, and the nav points all the way to Saturn were unmapped. I haven't played him since doing the elf-brother quests, so there has been plenty of time for me to forget or something to corrupt the data saved for either to his position or to the mapping status of the navs.

unmapped sectors / navs has happened to me multiple times before too.

a week ago, all of shepard, grissom and slayton and glory's orbit became unmapped to my 3 tt, te and ts.

There is a silver lining to all of this…well several but here are just a few I thought of.

1. I now have more space in my vault to put NEW stuff

2. I was holding on to that crap forever, thank you for helping me decide on what to get rid of

3. Now when I hit the sort button there is less crap to rearrange

4. And the lost XP and SP if a progen you will be able to redo your B missions!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

• Upvote 1

There is a silver lining to all of this…well several but here are just a few I thought of.

2. I was holding on to that crap forever, thank you for helping me decide on what to get rid of

*whistles - Always look on the bright side of life....

1. You're welcome! *deletes your FotM*

2. Hoarders: Space Edition

3. Dear Leader Tienbau has a plan in the works to make sort work quickly and properly!

4. Hooray for Byakhee!

Witty.

Thanks for seeing the bright side:):D

• Upvote 1

1. You're welcome! *deletes your FotM*

2. Hoarders: Space Edition

3. Dear Leader Tienbau has a plan in the works to make sort work quickly and properly!

4. Hooray for Byakhee!

Witty.

Thanks for seeing the bright side. :)

Sort working more quickly sounds nice. Thanks Tienbau for finding a way to make it work quickly.

[quote name='Yuritau' timestamp='1299366172' post='35787']
I think I lost some ores on one toon, but nothing over L4, so who cares?
[/quote]

Some ores of lv4 or less, neither you nor me care, true. But it is a pain in the ass when items that you spend all evening working on gathering items to have someone build something for you poofs. Or a rare raid drop.

But nothing really can be done about it at the moment other than plod on and hope for the best.