Tutorial

Just suggesting that the tutorial be made a higher priority. We are now getting a number of players coming in that have never played EnB in any shape or form. We have no good resource to transition such players into the game at the moment, so the ingame tutorial working would be nice hehe.. or if someone wants to write a beginners guide (don't look at me, too lazy :)) Just though i'd post this after i've recently seen some players asking about how equipment works etc, and noone being able to sufficiently help them.

on a related note, the Terran Scout newbie area is seriously lacking in missions (due to Scouts getting most of their skills at 20 or 25); I played on the live servers so I knew how to play without an actual tutorial, but I still got totally lost by the lack of direction at the start. I thought I was overlooking an npc or something, and wasted all sorts of time wandering around. All the other classes get a bunch of skills and associated missions right off the bat. At the very least they should get their missile mission without having to go level up first.

I thought that maybe it was just because it was one of the "new" classes (for which I expected only skill missions and not general tutorial missions), but I rolled a JS now and found they have a mission chain just like I'd get for any of the old classes back on live (and geez, some crazy xp rewards too, while TS gets no xp and just 1k credits for their prospecting and missile missions)

• 2 weeks later...

I too am in favor of the Tutorial Zones. And more missions for the Terran Scouts as well. I only was able to bear bringing a Terran scout up to overall level 13 and I just stopped playing him. I do like how you have the JE's missions all worked out and the XP that you get from doing them. But for all times sakes please do bring in the Tutorial zones for the completely new people.

I agree with you guys, but apparently this was attempted before and failed miserably. I'm thinking about starting up the effort again, as it would help new players a lot.

Neat if a tutorial mission and/or video can be done but its a lot of work I guess. I think many new players would appreciate even just a 101 Getting Started walkthrough of controls, first steps, initial goals, the basics. I'd be happy to work with a few others to create something if there is a need????

Daggermark did a .pdf starter guide which did cover all the basics but it is almost 6 megs and i cant attach it here, if anyone who can post in in the downloads section can contact me, we can make it available to everyone. It was on the old forum DL section, and good for all new players.

TooTall

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone source the Daggermark tutorial mentioned above?

If not then I'd suggest we write a new one.

I have the tutorial document, sent to me by TooTall (thanks), but it's too out-of-date and would probably just end up causing confusion. If anyone wants to write a tutorial, it would be highly appreciated.

so does this mean dont write one as im a good way into it.

i have been pretty basic,from a new player point of view.

and strictly tt based.

either way lemme know :D

You could always finish it and post it in the TT section? :D *hint hint*

^__^

You could do a guide for TT. But a guide for all starting players generally would be helpful to more people. Whichever you want to do is probably fine; I'm not about to start telling you what you should or shouldn't do when volunteering your time. :D

Yes, i am also for a tutorial. Its absolutely essential for a new player like me, who have not ever played EnB (or just about 2 hours 7 years ago) before. Just the Basics. It musnt be the original Tutorial. A Video Tutorial or a written one would also be ok...

MB

• 1 month later...

When was this tried before? I don't remember it.

I made three tutorial sectors way back when (original EnB had 6, but we could do fine with only 3). They're all named after shipyards - eg - Callisto Shipyards... don't remember all of them, atm. At the time, NPCs in space weren't working, nor chat trees. Now that these are working, all that would be needed is attach the appropriate chat tree to the objects in the 3 tutorial sectors. The Megan sound files are already in the .mix files.

The player is auto-spawned into a tutorial sector based on their race. Upon reaching the gate(s) at the "end" of the tutorial sector, they are sent to their class's home sector (based on class), or we can have them choose their available gate by faction status from 3 gates that are targeted to coordinates rather than a destination gate (this used to be an option in the Sector Tools, dunno if it still is).

It should be relatively easy to remake the Tutorials :P

• 2 weeks later...