Current Factions And How They Interact

I've given this some thought all day at work today for a solution or at least a temporary fix. Here's some ideas that I came up with.

For those hard-to-please Factions, have each declare one or more biological mob they they don't like, find bothersome, or just Dem's Good Eatin'. Then have a single month out of each year that that mob is worth Faction to the sponsoring hunting season. The mobs could be anything from unpredictable poprock mobs (which adds uncertainty and danger to clearing out those pesky poprocks), to rare CL mobs out in a single remote sector. Each Faction could have its own reasons for open season on their chosen prey mob. Then, for that month as the hunt comes into seasonal favor, the chosen mob awards Faction increase to pilots that encounter and defeat it.

Maybe during that hunting season, the mob coughs up an item that the sponsoring Faction wants, e.g. Jenquai artifacts that a Sult swallowed to act as gastroliths aiding digestion. Maybe a Faction has plans for the bio-bits brought back to that Faction's representative, e.g. Psionics that want to eat Brains to heighten their psionic powers in hopes of one day escaping the tyranny of InfinitiCorp. Perhaps during a season, the jaded Glenn Commission finds the poprock eyeball creatures as potential jewelry and wants them slain and hauled in for "a good word." How about dem hungry youngins? The Bogeril gotta eat, right? Nagifar steaks for everybody in month of August! Perhaps the problematic manes essences can be refined and used in coating signal dishes for NET-7 SOL and they re-coat their antennae with the harvested stuff one month out of a year. You want a new Herbal Remedy? How's about those poprock mushroom critter mobs for Chavez Tea? Are you a pirate? Then step up to the bar and heap your plate high with Arctic Drake sirloins at the Red Dragon fireworks festival held annually at Queen Anne's Revenge! For those humans out on the fringe space, the Freespacers have hunted pineapples for decades as a seasonal delicacy. Could the spinal cord stem cells of a certain breed of spindle mobs relieve the pain of Anseria's Landauer Syndrome flareups?

Each Faction can provide a favored mob target, year-round or seasonally for pilots to win their favor. The mobs can be common targets with less-common needed drops. The prey can be rare or only found by those brave enough to poke poprocks with a mining beam. It seems to me that this is all doable as an alternative to breaking the game's canon or Emulator's design.

Now, I'm not saying do this for each and every Faction, just the ones that aren't listed on the PDA, or ones that will someday be listed. Then watch as hunting becomes purposeful, story-driven, humanitarian even. The lil Bogeril chirrens are starving, by Jove!

Again, I'm no Developer, and I don't profess to know how hard or easy it would be to write in a hunting season. But it would save canon and not break the Emulator. Get out there and really hunt for those Factions.

Excuse me, there's a huge Centuriata at the front desk needing a Call Forward,

Pakkrat
Net-7 Reporter
Pakkrat Industries - What can PI do for you?
Builders Inc. Edited by Pakkrat
  • Upvote 1

Pak, perhaps a variation on that.  Back in EnB Origins, Chavez were unfactioned, but the RD disliked them, so killing one gave 0.5 RD faction.  Perhaps for some of the harder to please factions there be various mobs that do the same.  1 faction point for every two killed, but leave it up to the players to discover who the Chavez don't like other than the RD since they already have beaten the Montagues. 

Glenn Commission is, or should be available at the Job terminal.  I had an earlier idea, if it's doable, to weight which factions appear at which terminal by station ownership.  Keep a few stations that are simply free for all on faction, Aragoth Station & Friendship 7 being good choices for that.  Most other station would have mostly jobs from their owner, but would have jobs sprinkled in by factions they tend to like.  Occasionally there would be a faction they didn't expect come up.  So if you're at Jove's Fury, you'd mostly get Sharim jobs, with Sha'ha'dem, & Shinwa sprinkled in, as well as others that either like the Sharim, or are liked by them.  Progen bases become a bit interesting, since there is some enmity between the Collegia Traders and the Sabine Explorers.   Terrans being all about the money may not care as much about differences between InfinitiCorp & Hyperia.

Bogeril shouldn't be hard to please, kill EarthCorps.  Psionics would probably be similar to EnB Origins, where there are some factions they like, others they don't.  InfinitiCorp should fall under factions that the Psionics don't like.  If Free Spacers are to be factioned, eventually they would be a hard to please faction, as they were in Live, but there were some mobs out there that gave 1 point of Free Spacers for every 2 killed.  IIRC the Bio-extractor family of mobs are Free Spacers who have lost their minds or something like that, perhaps they could give 1 point for every 2 killed. 

Good Earth Trading Company would be another hard to please faction, they should be a bit more prominent now, with the addition of the Jenquai Seeker & Terran Scout, since GETCo has some influence in both factions.  The NPCs in Sharim and Hyperia stations that represent GETCo can occasionally give missions for things they need done and reward a small amount of faction for doing them.  Maybe more as your standing improves.  The Alliance should be easier to gain favor with when Nostradamus Smythe starts to have missions, if he's to be the same as he was in EnB Origins.   The varying Psionics themselves could also have missions at certain times. 

I don't think we should divorce the Sharim and the Red Dragons.  Not sure exactly why Shou Tzu likes Ariad, but in EnB Origins he definitely was friendly to herand when he was on Friendship 7 after doing his mission to deliver something to her, he said to do as she says. 

Ariad is actually Anseria, not Sharim, no?

She gives you Anseria faction when you complete her mission....

Either way, I'm not really still into why a pirate and a legal Jenquai organisations are related... I can understand Mordana, Bogeril, Freespacers like pirates alligning with RD but not Sharim and I don't remember storyline moving towards this by anyway...

Currently my bogeril faction is like -12k and I don't mean to kill 24k EarthCorps ships if any bogeril related content arrives.  I'm expecting better ways for improving all factions like more missions for them rather than jobs...

Edited by SiSL

I'm not exactly sure, it's possible that her alignment is different in the emulator than it was in EnB Origins.  In Origins, her mission that sent you to Vishao's Gate, gave Sharim faction, rather than Anseria.   Same for all her other missions, prior to the patch Merjan's Missing. There are some differences between the original and now.  As far as I remember, there weren't any missions that gave Anseria faction in EnB Origins, if you wanted to raise Anseria, you had to kill EarthCorps.  Surprisingly, given their faction description of "Death to InfinitiCorp", killing IC ships did not raise Anseria faction.

Let's just say that there are probably "behind the scenes" reasons that the Sharim & RD can get along with one another.  Politics can be more complicated than it may initially appear.

I also want to mention that my hunting season suggestion need not be held in only one month per year. The Factions wouldn't cooperate together like that. I suggest rather to have each Faction's hunting season staggered over the months of a year. There are 12 months in a year. There are less than 12 hard to please Factions that are present, not on the PDA, or hiding in the background. I think that if hunting seasons were implemented, they should be spread about the entire year.

I offered this suggestion due to my own experience with hard to please Factions hiding backstage. There currently is zero opportunities to improve my standings with NET-7 SOL which becomes a full Faction somewhere down the Timeline. I get an odd sickly feeling every time I pull in to the station at Saturn which is Yellow to me. When I asked about this, we went through the list of opportunities to improve standings with the NET-7 SOL Faction. No terminal jobs, no mission givers, and no clues as to who Net-7News finds needing putting down. To that end, I did write six repeatable missions and submitted them to the Developers. No rush there. Anyone with any idea how often I get razzed for being Yellow to NET-7 SOL? Yellow journalism. Rats in investigative reporting. The like. Hence, I suggested a hunting season for those obscure Factions and hard to please Factions.

By limiting the chosen hunting season to a single month out of the year, the Faction shows some character, adding a dimension of timing to their needs and trends. Then next month another Faction offers up its hunting season. This way, pilots can plan for hunts discover what the Faction wants killed, looted, or turned in. And so on. I feel that this does not break any canon, nor does it jeopardize the Emulator design. Finally, pilots can feel somewhat for the Faction they are hunting mobs. The story element provides a dash of Faction loyalty and partitioning rather than just being on a list in our PDA. If you can find some way to make a Faction special and unique then pilots will flock to their favorite and hunt like crazy. Then come the Faction T-shirts. "Don't shoot! I'm with NET-7 SOL!" "Surrender yer booty to the Red Dragon!" and "I answered the Call and all I got was this lousy shirt."

By the time certain storyline milestones are reached, an affiliation loyalty will have developed as it does in other games and MMORPGs. By allowing hunting seasons, pilots are enabled to pick their favorite Faction and feel like they belong. And that lends to my previous posts involving roleplaying. But that is beside this post's point.

Craving Nommos chops, this is the Pakkrat.

Progen Sentinel 137
Pakkrat Industries - What can PI do for you?
Net-7 News Reporter
Builders Inc.
  • Upvote 1

That is a great idea Pakkrat and it sounds like fun, too.  In the meantime...

WTB Faction chart that isn't a useless outdated POS

Cause I too would like to find a realistic pathway to both RD and Chavez content, thanks

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here are two easy ways to avoid any faction infractions.

1.) Don't play

2.) Only do jobs and mine.  I'm not sure if the pop rocks (THERE ARE MANY)  could be made available to warriors or not.

Finish all your missions, get your levels/SP you want and then and only then deiced what faction you want to align with. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

With things going "Live" now and more set in how things work, I was wondering if there is a current faction chart that shows the interaction in the factions that are in the game now, both the stated ones and the hidden ones.

Here we have one old faction chart that is incomplete now

And another that is more up to date, with the inclusion of the Glenn commission

But neither address the Chavez and their anamosity with the RD and how to go about getting both of them up at the same time, because not all "Pirates" think the same, lol

Something more current from The Powers That Be would be nice, Thanks

34 posts to this thread, 6 weeks later and still no answer as to how to realistically access both rd and chavez content, which was the purpose of the post.

@ Mimir   Thanks for the advice, but I have done those things already and would like to access both content paths.  My post was a call for help to do just that.  I research this game a lot and try different things and haven't had much success getting both factions up.  Ten years ago there was a path to do this and the available faction charts show how this is done, a three faction killing round robin that kept everyone happy.  Now it seems that it is either Chavez or RD, without a viable path for both.

I am still asking for help in getting both factions up, if you have any helpful info, I would be grateful

Thanks ;)

Hi all!

The portal will offer a faction chart now which is populated dynamically from the live data.

Please visit the portal (Net-7.org) and see "Faction Map" in the Main Menu.

34 posts to this thread, 6 weeks later and still no answer as to how to realistically access both rd and chavez content, which was the purpose of the post.

the chart basicly confirms what i thought

1: kill RD to get chavez

2: kill faction like Centuriata to gain RD

3: do jobs to gain centuriata and the other progen factions

and green to all

Thank you Zackman for the chart, This is actually all I was really asking for, it is appreciated.

Too all of you that added to the conversation and your ideas, thank you too.  The hunting season for faction gain that Pakkrat offered sounds great.

The road ahead looks steep but challenging, but I can more clearly see the road now  ;)

Kill Sabine get Collegia??

aint that weird? 

I'd would expect to gain maybe a Jenquai faction 

Collegia Traders

Recruited from the fringes of Sabine Society Collegia Traders have one goal in mind:  Progen Warriors using Progen weapons.  They've had enough of InfinitiCorp's galactic control, enough of Vinda's non-leadership, and enough of travesties like the Glenn Treaty which gave the Terrans the richest weapons-grade resource in the galaxy - 61 Cygni.

In EnB Origins, then Collegia Leader Theodoric Cassel's missions were usually about undermining Vinda in some way shape or form.  One of the last ones was to get Vinda's gene map so she wouldn't be called forward after her death.  It's likely that if the game not ended, some 'accident' would be arranged to put Vinda in an early grave. 

In that case it's the opposite of the old chart.  Just wanted to clarify, it does make a difference.  Killing Anseria gives Centuriata faction but kill Centuriata does not give Anseria faction.

If the headline (across the top) is faction affected, then there are 10 factions we can kill to get Red Dragon faction.  That does not sound right...

Read the other way (affected down the side) only killing Centuriata, Collegia, and Chavez will give Red Dragon faction.  That does sound correct.

• 5 months later...

Its a matrix, so readable "in a dual way".

Left (top to bottom) is the faction killed, head line is the faction affected.

Any chance we could get the faction map on the Net 7 site updated to reflect this?  Right now there's nothing on that page that says how it should be read.