Ts Vs Je Questions.

I started a new topic because the last one like this is over a year old. Which is worse, thread necromancy or rehashing an old post? Anyway, I'm new to this incarnation of EnB, and I honestly only played the beta of Live.

I read a JE guide from live that someone had posted a link to. In it the author wrote that getting engines past level 7 or navigation past 5 was not worth it because the ship would not go faster than 5000 warp. Is this still true? Is this only a limitation for the JE? How does the Scout's higher potential engine level stack up? Is it not worth it to keep getting better engines because the warp and thrust speeds are capped?

When it comes to reactor energy the Terran ships are the worst right? Does the lower reactor energy hinder the mining capability of the Scout once you are mining lvl 9 stuff?

Are the TS skills worth losing wormhole and fold space, or does the extra weapon mount help to even the score there?

5k warp is wrong my JE is OL150, with the roadrunner+ (IX) and nav computer (VII) I can hit 7K, and about 7.6K warp with the unicorn II Stallion (VIII). I don't have a TS so I can't say much on that.

Right now there is no limitation on warp speed... Combat speed tops out at 1k. The TS can achieve the highest warp of 9045. I've got my JE just above 8k with RR+9, unicorn, Nav computer, and Loony's Hunk O'Metal (which technically isn't in game).
At lower levels the JE is better on power when mining due to reactors being a main core skill and getting them 10 levels before the TS... Later on the TS mines just as well as the JE or PS. JE just has that convenience factor of Wormhole. Which is nice. Edited by Sleven.

[quote name='FireRibs' timestamp='1340383952' post='59448']
Wait a second so if its not technically in game how did you get it, I want one also :))
[/quote]
Ha... They came out of asteroids a year and a half or so back, and database says it does't drop... Which makes sense since it's a Bogeril device.

In Live the Loony's Hunk O'Metal was a reward for JE/PE for doing the Lyle McDonald series of missions. These missions are not in yet, and shouldn't be in until well into the emulators version of Live (when der Todesengel sector opens). It's buffs are additive turbo warp equip, and activate. This device is Terran Restricted, Explorers Only. The other mission rewards for Lyle McDonald's mission chain are the Loony's Special Gizmoblatsit (awarded at 200% quality) which lowers sig, increases scan range, increases both speed & range on tractor beam, and is Terran Restricted, Explorers Only. There is also the choice at the end of Lyle's missions of 3 devices. You can get one of the following, Chili Popper, Tail Tucker, or White Lightnin' (not sure on that one). Of those 3 devices the Scout can only use the white lightnin' assuming the db is correct in tha all explorers can use.

In combat the Scout and JE are about a wash, IMO. The Scout is easier to use in combat, due to it's speed and the range on MLs, but well played and properly equipped, a JE can also kill over CL despite having one fewer weapon, and short range weapons. JE's Shield Leech partially makes up for not having a 4th weapon, and is an additional source of energy for the JE. Scout's shields are marginally better, but only by the difference between Terran usable & Jenquai usable shields of the same level. Scouts & JEs both only get L8 shields, so they get their upgrades at the same time. If you play a JE or any Jenquai for that matter, as soon as you reach Device Tech 3 (OL20) get a Coma device, this device is like throwing sand in your opponent's eyes, they're less able to see to shoot you. The Scout doesn't have access to a device that does this. Coma goes from L3 to L9.

Scout can use both Progen & Jenquai devices, except for those that are restricted from them (tags like Jenquai Only, Progen Only, Terran Restricted) so the Scout will have a very wide selection of devices to choose from. They; however, lack much equipment designed specfically for them as they weren't around in Live and EA designed no equipment for them. (the JT and PT are in the same boat) Any item that's only for the Scout, Seeker, or Privateer, has been designed by the emulator devs. More will likely come during alpha/beta as the classes are balanced.

The Scout's skill set isn't set in stone yet, it may be subject to changes, but for now no changes have been announced.

The Scout may be at a disadvantage with guarded orefields compared to the other 2 explorers. The JE and PE have more means to deal with the mobs guarding the fields, quickly. The JE can blind the mob and teleport him away, or cloak and mine when he's not looking. The PE can kick the mob's teeth in, or menace it (make it run away). The Scout will have to be quick on his feet, or slowly kite with MLs. This may be subject to change depending on what devices/equipment they receive when Scout only equipment is added. Scout does get a larger cargo hold for ammo and ores.

All classes have their positives and negatives. It usually takes getting a toon up to level 20 or 30 before you can really identify if you like playing the class in my opinion. However the TS has some significant bugs with its skill set so I would recommend creating a JE. The class is pretty bug free, has some of the best skills in game, and has the least power issues of any class. Once you get Explore to 25 (which is pretty easy to do with a JE) and get Combat Cloak the DPS output, which is the JE's biggest downside, gets a ton better.

Note: Almost ever player in the EMU has a JE alt if for nothing else but to WH their other accounts. It really is a staple class and I can think of almost no downside to creating one. Especially if you are just learning the game.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1340397123' post='59488']
All classes have their positives and negatives. It usually takes getting a toon up to level 20 or 30 before you can really identify if you like playing the class in my opinion. However the TS has some significant bugs with its skill set so I would recommend creating a JE. The class is pretty bug free, has some of the best skills in game, and has the least power issues of any class. Once you get Explore to 25 (which is pretty easy to do with a JE) and get Combat Cloak the DPS output, which is the JE's biggest downside, gets a ton better.

Note: Almost ever player in the EMU has a JE alt if for nothing else but to WH their other accounts. It really is a staple class and I can think of almost no downside to creating one. Especially if you are just learning the game.
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Sleven.' timestamp='1340422534' post='59571']
+1
[/quote]
+1. Assuming you are a new player, the Jenq starting and bonus mission set is hands down the best learning experience you'll get (imo). Plus JEs are fun to zip around with, well worth having in groups, and your sectors are chock full of shinyness which makes learning mining a nifty experience.

[quote name='wootage' timestamp='1340473972' post='59598']
+1. Assuming you are a new player, the Jenq starting and bonus mission set is hands down the best learning experience you'll get (imo). Plus JEs are fun to zip around with, well worth having in groups, and your sectors are chock full of shinyness which makes learning mining a nifty experience.
[/quote]

Agree with that, having done the training for all of the classes, I think that the Jenquai have the best, though it's a toss up between the JE & JW. JT's quite good too. IMO Terran Scout needed the most work, but it may have changed since the beginning of ST4 when I got Torrie through Scout training.