The Solar Sail Engine

The engine itself has no signature, or at least shouldn't. You still have the base signature of your ship, and any signature buffs or debuffs would still apply. If you're a Jenquai toon with a Solar Sail engine and have no sig buffs or debuffs you should have a signature of 0.5. If you're a Terran or Progen it should be 2.5. Though the TW might be higher, last I played mine he had a base sig of 3.5.

[quote name='AZdexter' timestamp='1336009136' post='57343']
?? I have a lvl 6 hidden eye on my lvl 150 JD...seems to work OK.
[/quote]

If you have L7 devices you can upgrade it to an invisible eye. Also if you have a DG or GoD and a GE you don't need either hidden or invisible eye as you'd already have those buffs on other equipment.

another thing to look at is ditching the SS engine, if your a non progen use the mercurious line at low levels, the halley line at lvl 4-6 and the trifid line at 7-9 if ship sig is an issue for you. I remember in live people asking this same question, wondering why there sig is so high using an SS, because they have the notion that because the engine has a 0 sig there ship should too.

If you're a Terran the Mercurius, Halley, and Trifid engines will give you a lower sig than a Solar Sail of the same level absent any other signature buffs or debuffs. If you're a Jenquai; however, you'll have a lower signature with a Solar Sail absent any other sig buffs or debuffs. (The reduce sig buff on the Mercurius, Halley, and Trifid engines is a percentage buff, and the base signature of a Terran ship is 5 times that of a Jenquai ship)

• 2 weeks later...
nah, I would say skip the trifid if you are jenpie. According to the DB, the lvl 8 trifid decreases sig by 45%, and has a base sig of 800....combine that with the base ship sig of the defender, and you end up with a higher sig than what it would be with the SS(provided I did my math correctly, running on 1 hour of sleep). I suspect either something is wonky with his solar sails(maybe un installing and re installing will fix it), or he has a piece of gear increasing his base sig.

Also if you are playing a JD as your info says, pick up a Musca device...activatable device starting at level 3 and gives 25% less radar footprint.

[quote name='Reon' timestamp='1337466689' post='58094']
nah, I would say skip the trifid if you are jenpie. According to the DB, the lvl 8 trifid decreases sig by 45%, and has a base sig of 800....combine that with the base ship sig of the defender, and you end up with a higher sig than what it would be with the SS(provided I did my math correctly, running on 1 hour of sleep). I suspect either something is wonky with his solar sails(maybe un installing and re installing will fix it), or he has a piece of gear increasing his base sig.

Also if you are playing a JD as your info says, pick up a Musca device...activatable device starting at level 3 and gives 25% less radar footprint.
[/quote]

You are correct about the Jenquai v the Terrans on this line of engines. Mercurius, Halley, and Trifid engines, in terms of signature is better if you're a Terran than if you're a Jenquai. Even though these are Jenquai engines, Jenquai should go with a Solar Sail instead, whenever possible. Mercurius, Halley, and Trifid would be temporary until you can get a SS. (assuming some other alternative doesn't come in the future). Just keep a vendor Terran engine on the side for travel, though when you get to the SS8 there's no need for a travel engine, as it's just as fast as any other L8 engine in warp.

If your terran and you have a hidden or invisible eye equiped, then your better off with a solar sail as an engine... Progens have no choice but to use a solar sail for the lowest sig possible at lower levels. Edited by Sleven.

As a PW i use a Flechette.
My SIG is 0.8 in total with the unabating fire engine equipped.

But i also have the musca buff from Jenny (alt)...without it would be 1,2K - which is still pretty ok for a PW.
The Flechette is the Key for a PW!