Watching the final Discovery landing ever!

The shuttle is about to land in around 40 minutes.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-hd-tv#utm_campaigne=synclickback&source=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html&medium=6540154

Very good to watch!

Shame this is its final mission.

Good luck and Safe landing to them!
  • Upvote 1

I watched it on the nasa feed .

When the boom boom hit the trailer the cat jumped a foot in the air ... he was going WTF was that.

BTW i live 87 miles from the cape ... on a clear day i can see them on take off and landing ... today was a cloudly day ;)

The end of an era is upon us. I'm going to miss those silly flying bricks. :D (And I never even got to ride shotgun in one!)

Now we're going to have to take Soyuz's to space McDonald's. ;)

Yeah, not sure how I feel about it all. Of course the Shuttles need to be retired, there is only so long you can keep such a complex machine running at 99.9% for so long. But with how much I love space it pains me a bit to see us move our priorities elsewhere.....And that is what is causing it. Pretty sure the reason why we don't have a next generation of space vehicles is budgetary concerns. =/ Edited by Eviticus

[quote name='Slayerman' timestamp='1299687322' post='36078']
Shame this is its final mission.[/quote]

Indeed,

Wtf is obama thinking when ending the shuttle program and hurting our nation's pride? Doesn't he know our god blessed nation is all about winners and losers? The money freed by not sending up those firecrackers will now be used on the poor people who don't deserve it.

Damn yo obama got yo priorities mixed up...

We also stopped going to the Moon and transitioned to the ISS project. We are planning even more ambitious endeavors. A manned Mars landing is on the drawing board. There is only so much money in the budget afterall. The shuttle fleet has done quite well considering it's age and the risks involved as proven by the loss of two shuttles and crews. Congrats to NASA for keeping them flying for so long.

[url="http://www.space.com/9712-nasa-stuck-limbo-congress-takes.html"]NASA gets less than 1% of the federal budget[/url]. I think they do pretty good with what they get. Hopefully they'll be able to design something new to replace the old Space Shuttles fairly soon.