Away command

Add an /away command

writing /away -> broadcast player as away in local channel

any message sent to the player will receive a "Player is away from the keyboard" message.

writting again /away -> will disable away mode.

writing /away my message here -> will replace the away message.

Can't imagine that being too hard, overall in terms of the server code. Pretty sure the chat and the client are separate, more or less, other than how its fed through TO the client.

If its a flag in the Database, remember to get the server to check and make sure it doesnt reply if the user is offline... lol

Nah, I'm setting it in memory, so it will automatically be cleared out when someone logs out and back in. It seems to me that you wouldn't log in while you were afk, right? :)

I'm thinking about saving/loading the player's last away message in the database though, so that stays between logins, but it would be a bit of a pain, as I'm not very familiar with the SQL interfaces we use in the server. Would anyone care enough about such a feature for it to be worth it?

I'm thinking about saving/loading the player's last away message in the database though, so that stays between logins, but it would be a bit of a pain, as I'm not very familiar with the SQL interfaces we use in the server. Would anyone care enough about such a feature for it to be worth it?

I'd say put it in a text file under their client/output folder, rather than this, honestly if you're going to save it at all. I don't think its necessary to do so, personally. Also it needs to check the naughty word list to ensure players aren't leaving naughty words in their away messages. ;P (Thanks for the note Rez)

well if that's the case, perhaps for PS there could be an exception:

do the same above, but also activate Powerdown if outside a station AND not in warp (that means, if thrusting or standing still outside a station).

or attribute /powerdown or /pdown to the skill.

I think he's being facetious, there isn't an /away command, at least in the current source unless CDel has finished it.

I have put it in on the dev server, but of course that code isn't on the play server yet.

It works as follows:

/away <message>

When you use the command, you are marked as away, meaning anyone who sends you a private message will receive a notification that you are away and your away message (specified by <message>). If you don't include the <message> portion, it defaults to "<Your Name> is currently away. Try again later." While you are away, you can use the command again with a <message> to change your away message, or use just "/away" to unset your away status. Also "/afk" is a synonym for "/away", meaning you can use it in exactly the same way to the same effects.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

P.S. I'll try to post here when it hits the play server.

is it possible to have the away status auto-engage based on a timer? if player hasn't done anything for 10 mins set status to away, for example?

Maybe, but I think I should leave that to Tienbau, being more 1337 than myself. :(

Also, is it possible to show the Away status on the player's name tag in space?

I think I could hook that up. I need to be careful and make sure it doesn't mess with things client-side, however.

This can be done very easily; actually, I just did it on the dev server. I'll test it out and let you know how it goes.

maybe i'm behind the curve but is their an /ignore command in game (ie you don't want /t's from certain toons)

and i'd like to see a /mute command for gm's ie someone swears etc in channel i can /kick them could just have the option to /mute them (ie they can only contact staff)

prob the mute command don't need to be in open forums here *but for those who are concerned as you see here we are considering it*

my 2c worth

Searing

maybe i'm behind the curve but is their an /ignore command in game (ie you don't want /t's from certain toons)

and i'd like to see a /mute command for gm's ie someone swears etc in channel i can /kick them could just have the option to /mute them (ie they can only contact staff)

prob the mute command don't need to be in open forums here *but for those who are concerned as you see here we are considering it*

my 2c worth

Searing

I'm almost positive there's an ignore command. I've never had to use it, but I remember others talking about it in-game. There should be a /mute as well, but I'm not as certain. I'll take a look in the code when I get a chance.

I just checked and the away/afk command is in on the play server in its basic form. I'll look into the name tag changes and report back.

Also, I had forgotten, but the in-game "Ingore List" under the "Chat" menu is implemented, so there's no need for an ignore command.

I just checked and the away/afk command is in on the play server in its basic form. I'll look into the name tag changes and report back.

Also, I had forgotten, but the in-game "Ingore List" under the "Chat" menu is implemented, so there's no need for an ignore command.

Make sure the away messages are checked for bad words and such. There isn't a mute command, or there wasn't the last time I looked at playerconnection (bout a month or so I think, was looking in it for Ranko for something.. )

my 2c worth

Searing

Guy, you are an omnipotent being but you decide to be a fracking cop?

I prefer the Q approach...

/spawn tengu 66 <player name>

Or if he is in a station...

/teleport <player name> <fishbowl>

er ..too late i'm a GM sorta am a frigging cop don't ya know

well i can /mute them till they cool off or whatever

my only choice at this time is to /kick player

looking for some other option for the verbally challenged don't ya know

Searing