Ludicrous Speed

paul

At the moment the NOS lets anyone max out their combat speed at 1000, i think this is a bit too much. The only people that sould be getting close to this are terrans.
My suggestion is to nerf the combat speed bonus on this so its more in line with a cats paw, or change the reward to something simalar like a White Lightnin.

NOS = Nitrous Oxide System (L8).

I think NOS is fun the way it is and ought to be left alone.

Unless someone is thinking of adding turbo warp (activated) as well that would get a thumbs up!

The emulator is not live. Live was lethargic and boring. The emulator is fun and on steroids! So what if everyone can go 1,000 impulse speed? If you want to remember what live was like by all means unequip your NOS and slow yourself down. I play a couple of Red Dragon hating characters and they don't have a NOS and it hasn't really made much difference to them. They can zip around with pretty fast impulse too.

I suggest that may be all that needs changing about NOS is the name so that are no longer any connotations of any connection implied with the live mission reward from Ole Homestead in DT. (And add turbo warp (activated) too!).

In live instead of an additive impulse, NOS had an additive warp that raised the warp limit from 5,000 to 5,500 for explorers (I think it was available just to explorers). The emulator has no warp limit and I hope that it never will.

If depressingly NOS is ruined with an impulse speed nerf at least consider deferring it to after the end of ST4.

t lets them max their thrust to 1k, not nessarily ACHIEVE 1k, most do achieve it because at device skill L8 they usually have emgines and thrust inhancers getting them in the 400 thrust range already. Note it raises the thrust cap, not the rate of thrust, so those with slow engines take much longer to get to 1k and much longer to get back to 0 thrust/reverse. So the more sprightly explorers and those without mass debuffs/ manuver debuffs simply zip around and stop nearly on a dime, were PW and traders take some time to reverse etc.

I would down vote removal, its one of those fun unique rewards that are mission tied, and if you use it in dangerous situations it can get dinged up and isn;t replaceable. I would rather instaed of remove it, I would make it non-tradable/unique and the missions repeatable, thus the character that wants it has to put in the work mission wise, and not have it handed to them, and if you go out and get it dinged up you can toss it and do the rework of the missions to replace it to 100%.

It's not game breaking, takes some decent effort to get, and is mission tied to RD space, it's quite simply one of the few rewards of having RD faction, keep in mind, not all the factions are in yet, nor the rewards for having some of the other factions, you have to make a choice when they are all in who are your friends or not, and befoire you can even get to paramis to do the long missions to get the NOS, you had to slaughter approx 5k chavez grind...hehe
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1332169724' post='55731']
t lets them max their thrust to 1k, not nessarily ACHIEVE 1k, most do achieve it because at device skill L8 they usually have emgines and thrust inhancers getting them in the 400 thrust range already. Note it raises the thrust cap, not the rate of thrust, so those with slow engines take much longer to get to 1k and much longer to get back to 0 thrust/reverse. So the more sprightly explorers and those without mass debuffs/ manuver debuffs simply zip around and stop nearly on a dime, were PW and traders take some time to reverse etc.

I would down vote removal, its one of those fun unique rewards that are mission tied, and if you use it in dangerous situations it can get dinged up and isn;t replaceable. I would rather instaed of remove it, I would make it non-tradable/unique and the missions repeatable, thus the character that wants it has to put in the work mission wise, and not have it handed to them, and if you go out and get it dinged up you can toss it and do the rework of the missions to replace it to 100%.

It's not game breaking, takes some decent effort to get, and is mission tied to RD space, it's quite simply one of the few rewards of having RD faction, keep in mind, not all the factions are in yet, nor the rewards for having some of the other factions, you have to make a choice when they are all in who are your friends or not, and befoire you can even get to paramis to do the long missions to get the NOS, you had to slaughter approx 5k chavez grind...hehe
[/quote]

Agree with this, there do need to be more mission rewards associated with the RD. The shortcut is great, and for the explorer classes hopefully the mining will be, but there should be more things like the NOS mission that are doable by all classes, maybe a few things that are race or profession specific.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1332198629' post='55743']
I have a better idea to fix the problem, actually. Not gonna say more right now but you should see soonish hopefully.
[/quote]

Does make me wonder if this means that the race/class ship mass/maneuverablity stats will be implemented, if they're not already. The classes vary on these stats according to the design documents. IIRC by mass the ships rank Scout<TT/JE<TW/JT/PE<JW/PT<PW.

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1332200008' post='55748']
Does make me wonder if this means that the race/class ship mass/maneuverablity stats will be implemented, if they're not already. The classes vary on these stats according to the design documents. IIRC by mass the ships rank Scout<TT/JE<TW/JT/PE<JW/PT<PW.
[/quote]
The mass debuffs are in, compare the turn and exceleration rate of a PW vs a explorer some time....the items that debuff mass do, I can see a slower turn rate on my TT when he had some addmass ML on and not.

I find its a little wonky that this item comes from RD space. Wasn't it from a Bogeril mission in Live? Hopefully it gets moved backl to that faction/area later on.

At the moment I think there are too many reqards for having RD faction. At the moment you really have to get RD faction to get a lot of items......but wouldn't it be nice if there were missions/items that could only be gotten if you were not RD affiliated? Like going to a quest person and him telling you to get the hell away from him because yer RD Scum. ;) Would be nice to have some items/missions that were actually faction based rather than faction neutral.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1332465636' post='55861']
I find its a little wonky that this item comes from RD space. Wasn't it from a Bogeril mission in Live? Hopefully it gets moved backl to that faction/area later on.

At the moment I think there are too many reqards for having RD faction. At the moment you really have to get RD faction to get a lot of items......but wouldn't it be nice if there were missions/items that could only be gotten if you were not RD affiliated? Like going to a quest person and him telling you to get the hell away from him because yer RD Scum. ;) Would be nice to have some items/missions that were actually faction based rather than faction neutral.
[/quote]

That makes sense too, both paths should have some rewards. Being a JE I'm likely to take the path that makes as many different factions neutral or friendly as possible, but I can live with having some missions unavailable for the abilty to avoid more fights. I'd only object to making it impossible to get at least neutral with all factions (it shouldn't be easy, but it should be doable).

I'm cool with faction requirements for missions, I'd only not like being required to make myself hostile to bases from one of the 3 playable races. Race, Profession, class, or Gender being prerequsites for missions is also cool too. (for clarity sake by profession I mean Trader, Warrior, or Explorer, and by class I mean specific race/profession combo)

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1332465636' post='55861']

[/quote]
There were live, don't think they are at that stage yet, still working on basics and skills etc. But live there was definite rewards both sides of factional bias, if you were a RD lover othes wouldn't deal with you and if you weren't a RD they wouldn't deal with you etc. It got even more confusing with the entrance of the V'rix since they were a whole new faction and nobody (at first) knew who fell in line with them or opposed them.

There was a whole series of missions to get factionalized with the V'rix, and many of the high end players would do them for the huge XP gains (they scaled to OL) then go on killing sprees of them in antares and other places to rebalance to racial factions. The only racial/class that got a royal screwing were the PW since their class and factional retooling missions were in a cul-de-sac system (tarsis) and if they pushed into red with centriata the turrets would kill them on gating, they couldn't get to the missions to get friends again, a real catch 22.

The later factions in were the only way they could get yellow again enough to get back into tarsis, they had to go on a killing spree of them to go back. But for those PW that killed centriata to get in good with RD and didn't watch to not go red, for like months they were totally shut out of the ability to get back in centriata graces, I believe the Devs hadn't taken that into account and thats why some of the late game factions had the wierd links that they did.

In live the only faction that was universally hated (was ok to kill without a second factional hit) were the chavez to gain RD.

Not to mention the Chavez didn't get factioned in live, though the EA devs had announced their intent to give them faction status. Sunset occured before that would happen.