Code this

[HELLO WORLD]
I've seen code For Microsoft XNA, DarkBasic and some C++.
Can you show the rest of us what the code looks like for any one of the Characters skills in Earth and Beyond.

I know the pain staking stuff the Coders go through, maybe if others can see all the code for just one simple character action they might begin to understand that every :, //, << has got to be in its perfect place in order for the character to fire any particular PL with the correct ammo graphics. etc etc etc....

Not to mention that it has to be tested on any available server that has a Beta on it willing to, And changed if needed over and over again until it works for/with the server, coder, DEVs and community.
All this being done by people that are doing it on their own time without Pay! :D

But then again there just may be some that just don't [s]care[/s] know better, :P And this request won't make a bit of difference.

But regardless I would love to see what it takes to activate and actual effect it has on a target. (In Code)
If this may have any illegal ramifications or any detrimental effects. "Forget about it"

edit:typo :)

[quote name='Phorlaug' timestamp='1325568138' post='50824']
All this being done by people that are doing it on their own time without Pay! :P
[/quote]It started out as opensource (as started by the original dev members), as I strongly want it to return to and remain. You shouldn't need to ask for an example, and anyone with programing expertise should be allowed to contribute bug fixes for testing and review as well as test on their own home servers etc. I wasn't looking for a reason to bring this up again, but it's sad to see someone needing to ask for examples etc :D and a year has passed and still it's closed.

If/when we go open source again the encryption side of the comms and the account systems would need to stay closed to stop fiddling, possibly as dll's. We'd link them up as download for anyone wanting to do a trial server of course.

Of course the content has to stay closed - a cut down release of it would be needed but because it's a free project we have to find someone in the project willing to do the work to cull down the DB for a release.

Open source became rather stressful, and not fun. Understandably with what happened none of the devs were willing to continue working on the project without it going closed source.

I know we talk about going open source from time to time, yes it's going to happen, we just have to pull our fingers out to get it going again. It would be good from time to time to get fixes/improvements posted up by random passers by.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1325584371' post='50831']
If/when we go open source again the encryption side of the comms and the account systems would need to stay closed to stop fiddling, possibly as dll's. We'd link them up as download for anyone wanting to do a trial server of course.

Of course the content has to stay closed - a cut down release of it would be needed but because it's a free project we have to find someone in the project willing to do the work to cull down the DB for a release.

Open source became rather stressful, and not fun. Understandably with what happened none of the devs were willing to continue working on the project without it going closed source.

I know we talk about going open source from time to time, yes it's going to happen, we just have to pull our fingers out to get it going again. It would be good from time to time to get fixes/improvements posted up by random passers by.
[/quote]

IMHO there is no time limit on when a project has to open up the source in an open source project. In fact it is up to the individual developers as to when their code is (if ever) released. I refer you to the open source of Google Android, they may never release Honeycomb source ...much to xda's dismay. So sit back and if the Developers here say they will release it sit back and wait.

[quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1325598323' post='50833']
IMHO there is no time limit on when a project has to open up the source in an open source project. In fact it is up to the individual developers as to when their code is (if ever) released.[/quote]
It depends on the license.

Say server would be put to standard GPLv2. That means, no source needs to be released (except for net7proxy), because GPLv2 only requires you to release code when you distribute your work.

So lets take Affero GPL. That requires you to release source code when user interacts with the program not just when you distribute (server code, php website, etc).
... but that only affects forks. Original copyright owner can always relicense their work (as there is no external contributors, it's rather simple)

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1325571005' post='50825']
sure which skill did you want to see?
[/quote]
Personally, I'd be interested in the following, among other things:

- Prospect code
- Warp entry code
- Combat cloak damage bonus code
- Damage UI presentation code
- Group shield recharge code

But that's just me...
I probably won't be able to help, but it would be fun to take a look "under the hood" anyway...

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1325571005' post='50825']
sure which skill did you want to see?
[/quote]

How about JD Energy Leech.
What it takes for the JD to activate it.
And what happens to the NPC when it hits.

My God theres got to be so much argument going on to make that happen (I'm talking about the Code).
From the short cut position to the Leech Level to the NPC name, targets reactor level.

Aaah Tienbau I have no desire to make, run or knowledge to make any server, nor do I have the time, I said I have seen the code LMAO. I have NO idea what to do with it....

The absolute farthest I have got with code is "HELLO WORLD" :P
And you know the only thing I have done is 2D and 3D graphics (beginner at best), Code and animation DOU ! not a chance (The best animation I have done is MY Avatar .gif LOL).

My request was purely for the Coders and DEVs benefit (respect) and to instill some patients to our community.
Like I said if its an issue "For get about it"

Phorlaug.

[size="2"][quote name='Knix' timestamp='1325600818' post='50837']
- Damage UI presentation code
[/quote]

[/size][size="2"]xx (+/- yy)[/size]
[size="2"]Amount adjusted by HDC + Total Damage dealt to shield [b]( [/b]Amount adjusted by Resists [s]-[/s] Amount[size="2"] absorbed by PsiShield [s]-[/s] Total damage dealt to Hull [/size][b])[/b][/size][size="2"][b]
[/b][/size][size="2"]Is this what you mean? I think that's accurate.[/size]

[quote name='karu' timestamp='1325599857' post='50835']
It depends on the license.

Say server would be put to standard GPLv2. That means, no source needs to be released (except for net7proxy), because GPLv2 only requires you to release code when you distribute your work.

So lets take Affero GPL. That requires you to release source code when user interacts with the program not just when you distribute (server code, php website, etc).
... but that only affects forks. Original copyright owner can always relicense their work (as there is no external contributors, it's rather simple)
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it is at the developers discretion as to when and if the project is set to be released. You mentioned the GNU Affero GPL license, which is Linux based if I am not mistaken and there are only a handful of applications for Windows developed by them. So getting back to the the platform at hand I think that originally the server was being written under C++ and using the lite version of Visual Studio which I am pretty sure has no such open source requirements, and the full version is (correct me if I am wrong) what is being used today.

I think that the original developers of the project made the claim that it would be open source but I'm not sure any of those developers remain. Also any of the developers may wish to keep their proprietary intellectual property out of the public domain. So if someone were to push the developers into releasing the code at a point in the development that the code was ALL Open source you would be very sad with the results. Case in point is the Coke Classic ummmm errr EnB Classic project. While the majority of the code they walked away with fell into the "Open source" they also took source that did not clearly fall into the scope of "open source" the db most notably.

After a pretty long winded post, I say if TB said he will release a "Lite version" of EnB he will release a "Lite Version" end of story. Let's let him and the others get back to getting the game back first... mmmKay?

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1325584371' post='50831']Of course the content has to stay closed
[/quote]No dispute on that at all. But like I said, it's been over a year since last mentioned and there has been no real move to reopening the essential parts of the project to opensource.

And I'm not sure why anyone would be complaining about developing on an opensource project, especially as it started out as a community supported opensource project and pretty much all emu's are opensource in that respect.

I see no issues with not distributing a large part of the db - so if someone does try to start their own pve server... well they sure will have a lot of work to do to be anywhere near the level of playable content that this server has, and most that do try are usually the sort to not know really how much work it is to add content to an mmo. So I don't think you really need to worry about that, as I know it's been mentioned before.

And just to mention since I brought this up again, no I'm not looking to start a server with the enb emulator, I already have a project I work on (not an emu), absolutely no time to have a commitment to developing an emu. However, I know of others that feel the same about the change to closed source, and want that to be corrected in the near future as well. K thanks :)

[quote name='will' timestamp='1325606790' post='50840']
[size="2"]

[/size][size="2"]xx (+/- yy)[/size]
[size="2"]Amount adjusted by HDC + Total Damage dealt to shield [b]( [/b]Amount adjusted by Resists [s]-[/s] Amount[size="2"] absorbed by PsiShield [s]-[/s] Total damage dealt to Hull [/size][b])[/b][/size][size="2"][b]
[/b][/size][size="2"]Is this what you mean? I think that's accurate.[/size]
[/quote]
Yes, but there's probably a bit more to it in code with conversion, formating and what not....

LOL the damage UI code definitely needs some attention.

Half the time I have no idea what I'm looking at when those numbers come up. I've never actually looked at that code but I think it's a hangover from simpler times, either that or it's meant for people with better understanding of stats than me, which is probably more likely.

I could do a little code investigation thinggy each week if you were interested where we pick a single topic and then look at the code that does that. Any more than one topic and I'd get a little overwhelmed I think.

So you wanna see the energy leech code first?

The mobs have had their reactors wired up, but at the moment I think it's only so energy leech can work AFAIK. It would be really nice if they shut down and stopped moving or couldn't use any weapons or skills when their energy drained completely.

This would probably give us a chance to work through all the little problems and whatnot too. Just don't be mean about what the code looks like! It is a multi-developer do; I have tried to get all the dev's who've worked on it to code in a coherent way so the source doesn't look like a hodgepodge.

I especially hate Java style function bracing - it looks soo hacky in C++ grr arrghhh <mouth foam>.

Stuff like

[code]void MyFunction (void) {
//bollox here
for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
printf("sooo horrible!\n");
}
}[/code]

ends up looking like cat vomit when there's a lot of code there.

[code]void MyFunction (void)
{
//bollox here
for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
printf("aaaahh!\n");
}
}[/code]

is nice to look at and easier on the eye.

Anyway, on with the plot. Why not? Let's do a shield leech code thinggy, and we can get the mobs behaving correctly with energy loss at the same time.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1325668566' post='50889']
Anyway, on with the plot. Why not? Let's do a shield leech code thinggy, and we can get the mobs behaving correctly with energy loss at the same time.
[/quote]
Sounds good, and hook up recharge and energy drain from weapons and skill use... If it isn't too much work...

Lol i have to agree with the brackets thing.
It can be very annoying without well sortened placed brackets to read the code.
This one is also a good example on a one liner code after a "for" "if" or whatever.
Sure it shortens things, and even if it is just a one liner afterwards, it can be very annoying in a big file of code.

//bollox here
for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
printf("sooo horrible!\n");
}[/code]

Sometimes people code even this way, omg super annoying! depends on the compiler, but works in most.

//bollox here
for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) printf("sooo horrible!\n");
}[/code]

one more cool example, i hate it :)

[code]void MyFunction (void) { //bollox here; for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) printf("sooo horrible!\n"); }[/code]

But yeah, sad that there is no open source code. To help you don't need the content.
Once you are somewhat familiar with the code and structure of things you can add content for testing on your own anyway. Edited by Himmelweiss

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1325668566' post='50889']
So you wanna see the energy leech code first?

The mobs have had their reactors wired up, but at the moment I think it's only so energy leech can work AFAIK. It would be really nice if they shut down and stopped moving or couldn't use any weapons or skills when their energy drained completely.[/quote]

(Edit) I think thats one reason why I have been pushing for the Visualization of an NPC Reactor bar.
(Phorlaug <---------Beating a dead horse)

I got to believe that Westwood knew it would be a Very Daunting task to code and record all the NPCs Reactor Levels.
I'll lay money they came up with some kind of formula that took in account the JDs Energy Leech level, and that Of his Own Reactor. and that was where the Base Energy Drain percentage came from.

And example would be the XP gain when theres a lower level player with the Big boys.
I remember being L50 and Partying with L150 players SHT ! The XP was like 12,000+.
So Westwood came up with the formula to which we are using today for group XP.

Yes The JD Energy Leech is and can be a very formidable Weapon/skill.
I think that open forum critique/help on the Code may lead to some workings/fixes.
On all the code and skills.... Maybe :)

Phorlaug..

• 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine recently pasted the following code to me on Skype, asking me how I would respond if I saw it at a company on a project I was manager of. I said I'd check the SVN checkin logs to find out which cubical it came from, and then I'd take everything in the cubical and drop it in the nearest dumpster.

[CODE]private static bool InvertBool(bool org)
{
bool returnValue = false;
if (org)
{
returnValue = false;
}
if (!org)
{
returnValue = true;
}

return returnValue;
}[/CODE]

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1326844880' post='51711']
and well you should I'd guess, given that the same could be accomplished with less lines easily enough and they should know it. ;P
[/quote]

Unless they got started in BASIC and have only been learning C like languages from contextual differences.