Field Clear Bonus

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Why is it that when I clear a field (barring the hidden roid) that has been cherry picked I get no field clear bonus? The usual cherry picker will hit the fields take high lvl ores and or high lvl equip from the hulks and leave the debris and junk. When I come in and clear this field I get no bonus at all.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]a.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Does the cherry picker have to be in sector and in my group for me to get a field clear bonus %?[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]b.[/size][/font] [size="3"][font="Calibri"]I was told this am that the field clear bonus is not on a timer, but based on % of who pulled what. [/font][/size]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]c.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Was the 30 min. timer something I made up?[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]d.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]If there is still a timer could someone check it?[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]I had an idea this morning that if the field clear bonus timer (if it exists) is removed, then the effects of the cherry pickers should be nullified. The miners who normally clear the fields would still get a bonus even if the field was picked. And not have to hit the field within the timer.

just saying[/size][/font]

I don't know exactly how it works now, but I think this formula should be used to calculate field clear bonus:

XP = XP0 * (CC/RC)

where

XP is the xp awarded for helping clear the field
XP0 is the total (maximum) field clear bonus
CC is the clear count, how many roids you've in the cleared field cleared. Should reset if you leave the sector
RC is the roid count, the number of roids that has spawned since the field was cleared last.

I have cleared a number of fields in Fenris without getting a clear bonus. It may be because I left the pop-roids for last. Pop-roids should also be able to trigger a clear field bonus when popped. Other than that, I have yet to come across a field that won't give me a clear bonus, or more precisely, I've assumed they were not fully spawned when I cleared them and didn't get a bonus...

[quote name='Knix' timestamp='1314880194' post='45482']
[...]

I have cleared a number of fields in Fenris without getting a clear bonus. It may be because I left the pop-roids for last. Pop-roids should also be able to trigger a clear field bonus when popped. Other than that, I have yet to come across a field that won't give me a clear bonus, or more precisely, I've assumed they were not fully spawned when I cleared them and didn't get a bonus...
[/quote]

Thanks for the formula, LOL you may have just typed BLA BLA BLA = BLA BLA BLA for all that meant to me.

But it is still worth the Devs to look into as there IS a problem. And I am pretty sure I am not the only one to have it happen to.

But then again maybe I am :lol:

[quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1314880626' post='45483']
Thanks for the formula, LOL you may have just typed BLA BLA BLA = BLA BLA BLA for all that meant to me.
[/quote]
I can't help it. I'm an engineer. I like formulas :lol:

[quote name='Knix' timestamp='1314880194' post='45482']
I've assumed they were not fully spawned when I cleared them and didn't get a bonus...
[/quote]

imho, you should still get a field clear even if the field isn't fully spawned. It should just get reduced based on the % of the field that is unspawned.

It may also be that there is one roid left somewhere. Do a high search, and a low search as there may be something well off the field (often a juicy one). I presume you are mining with the best scan you can :lol: !

[quote name='Amethyst' timestamp='1314885453' post='45490']
It may also be that there is one roid left somewhere. Do a high search, and a low search as there may be something well off the field (often a juicy one). I presume you are mining with the best scan you can :lol: !
[/quote]

Yes, I have Max scan, but from what I was told last night this may be broken.

To add to your discussion here, I am really sick of these people who cherry pick the fields. The least anyone could do is clear the field do it will respawn...

That being said, if the cherry picking morons don't clear the field and one of us ethical miners comes along and finishes the field/hulks, why shouldn't we get the XP from clearing it? Its us, not the cherry pickers who are keeping these fields from regenerating.

Also, we need more fields and the regeneration of these fields should be increased! Mining currently blows because of the reasons above, plus the lack of fields plus the miner 49'er are many now. Some of us choose to mine to help the builders fill their requirements to build components. I am tired of going the distance to high level fields, seeking high level ores or hulks only to find them emptied of anything of value and cherry picked. Hulk fields and roid fields should simply regenerate instead of waiting to be cleared by someone, and they should regenerate randomly and not in loops and circles as I have seen them planted. I believe you have this figured out in the code now, and I have offered my help in content dev to fix issues like this and rebuild sectors. This is not simply a rant but a former actual dev in RL and the Emu's past who is passionate enough about this game to see it improved. I am interested in sector content development in restoring them what was, and bettering them to their fullest potential.

Thanks for reading.

-Overt.
  • Upvote 1

I think expecting people to clear a field every time is a bit harsh. If I have the time I usually clear everything in scan range, but if I run out of cargo space or time, I generally just leave it unless I have something worthless to space. I usually clear a field from one end to the other though, so there may still be things of value in it after I leave. If I need something built that requires a certain ore, I clear the roids with those ores in them first though.. At least until I have enough to cover my immediate needs.

See at least you leave items of value for the next guy. I suspect a few miners take anything of value and just vend for the credits. I look for things generally for the builders, my friends, and guildies. I keep an active list of what they all are looking for and sometimes go on the hunt for them.

I wish everyone would take a little risk and responsibility and clear them if they leave behind if there is noting of value so the field would at least reset. Though I'm sure the dev's have this on their list somewhere.

to qualify for the clear bonus, the field must be cleared BEFORE any new roids start spawning again. Roids will start respawning in a field at +/- 25% of the field's respawn cycle time. This varies for each field but you will get a feel of the time cycle for any field you visit often.

If a field has been cherry picked, the chances are you won't be able to clear the field in time before new roids start spawning. Unless you arrive just as the cherry picker has left. Even if you clear those roids that have spawned the bonus is invalid, as the clearance time has taken too long.

Once all roids are fully respawned the clear bonus becomes active again.

Hope this helps,

TB

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1315542973' post='45928']
to qualify for the clear bonus, the field must be cleared BEFORE any new roids start spawning again. Roids will start respawning in a field at +/- 25% of the field's respawn cycle time. This varies for each field but you will get a feel of the time cycle for any field you visit often.
[/quote]
Thanks for taking the time to explain how it works.

This makes it pretty easy to wait out the full respawn of cherry-picked fast spawning fields. Cherry-picked slow spawning fields probably won't have time to start respawning before you can clear it, so you'll get a clear bonus there too. The trouble occurs when the respawn is so slow you're left with nothing to do while the field respawns. Not many miners are patient enough to wait those out just for the clear bonus.

I'm not sure how to solve this. A prolonged spawn time is almost necessary for the slow spawning fields, or they'll be very hard to find, since a veteran miner is bound to have been there to clear it before a novice miner passes by looking for new ore fields. Prolonging the spawn time makes it more likely there will be something there to find, but makes a clear bonus practically impossible to get.

One way would be to duplicate the fields and have one fast spawning field with just a few roids and one slow spawning field with lots of (the same roids) in the same place. Another way would be to make all fields fast spawning but have a random roid count weighted heavily in favour of spawning just a few roids, but a small probability of putting out a lot of roids.

well there are plenty of fields around, in some sectors these are mostly undisturbed.

I think what would be good would be some way to indicate a pristine field. I'm not sure how this would work, it should not be obvious. Maybe a few roids around the field could subtly glow?

the cherry picking rants are starting to get on my nerves, if I want a few ores for a build I'm gona sit there and clear the field, that's just stupid, next were gona rant about warriors having to kill every mob in a sector because they killed one.
play the game your way and let me play it my way and quit with the frikin winening already.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Rezwalker' timestamp='1315702685' post='45982']
the cherry picking rants are starting to get on my nerves, if I want a few ores for a build I'm gona sit there and clear the field, that's just stupid, next were gona rant about warriors having to kill every mob in a sector because they killed one.
play the game your way and let me play it my way and quit with the frikin winening already.
[/quote]

[size="7"]Cherry Picker!!!!
[size="3"]I am the best cherry picker out there now. In fact if I see a field just sitting there, I pull a few just to be a turd and I space the ore. [/size]
[/size]

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1315695560' post='45979']
well there are plenty of fields around, in some sectors these are mostly undisturbed.

I think what would be good would be some way to indicate a pristine field. I'm not sure how this would work, it should not be obvious. Maybe a few roids around the field could subtly glow?
[/quote]

That sounds like an interesting idea.

[/quote]

Hi pot meet kettle!

[/quote]

------------------------------------------------------ 2nd reply -----------------------------------------
[font="Calibri"][size="3"]There a few details that I didn’t know about the re-spawn of asteroid fields. I was under the mistaken belief that to re-spawn a field needed to be cleared. From what I think I understand now is that they will re-spawn regardless if one or many have been pulled.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]If this is the case:[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"] [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="7"]CHERRY PICK ON DUDES and DUDETTES![/size][/font]

Roids/hulks will respawn if roid/hulk is empty yes, field doesnt have to be completely cleared. Roids/hulks do not refill if say 1 of 2 things were left inside though hence the term cherry picking came about due to this. Really is it that difficult to at least clean the roid/hulk out that you opened?
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

[quote name='Redd' timestamp='1315759410' post='46003']
Roids/hulks will respawn if roid/hulk is empty yes, field doesnt have to be completely cleared. Roids/hulks do not refill if say 1 of 2 things were left inside though hence the term cherry picking came about due to this. Really is it that difficult to at least clean the roid/hulk out that you opened?
[/quote]

In theory it's all good but lets say the hulk is surrounded by a bunch of minions and you mine that nice lvl 9 device and have like 15k hull left over from the pounding, your gona commit suicide to grab the debris just to clear the hulk? I strongly dough it.

[quote name='Rezwalker' timestamp='1315770696' post='46009']
In theory it's all good but lets say the hulk is surrounded by a bunch of minions and you mine that nice lvl 9 device and have like 15k hull left over from the pounding, your gona commit suicide to grab the debris just to clear the hulk? I strongly dough it.
[/quote]

Why would a hulk be THAT heavily guarded? Not to mention, any damage taken while the prospect beam is on, immediately interrupts prospecting.

[quote name='Rezwalker' timestamp='1315770696' post='46009']
[/quote]

Actually if you want to use the one place... GoBB's area with said hulks, then no, I'd just mine them all after we killed said minions. If I was solo, would just go to the other 2 navs with the same hulks and same items with less risk involved... Either way that one sole spot in the entire galaxy doesnt help/convince me the need to cherry pick at all. But we all have our 2cents I guess some are just shinier than others...

There are several hulk fields guarded by high level mobs (in fact I think all high level fields should be guarded). Rez is quite correct - it means death to try to mine 52 debris in a level 9 hulk in some of those fields - you need to be quick in and very quick out. Kudos to those people who can clear the field and cause the the respawn. A little tip here - if you deliberately lose most of your reactor by using a buff device or skill - you can mine just half of the hulk and ninja out before the tengu or minion comes for lunch. The other tip is to lure the mob away (which is where a TS comes into their own) and then double back once they are away from the hulk/roid. n most cases its just not worth taking out the debris. If I had a suggestion it would be the sillyness of having 50+ debris - surely just 3-4 debris is enough 'clutter'? One for the devs to consider?

I also think cherry-picking is a fact, and totally within game-play. There are hundreds of fields for miners to mine. No miner has a god-given right to a field. There are not that many miners around. That said - if you want to farm a field then the best way to do that is clear the whole field, know the respawn rate and come back for the juicy stuff. If someone beat you too it just go find another field.
If you are that OCD about clearing fields just go tidy your room instead of insisting other people do so :)

No-one insists you have to clear all the lower level mob as well as killing the boss - or are we now going to whine about people just cherry-picking the bosses?