Temporary skill reset vendor in lieu of Call Forward

Until the Call Forward is fixed, perhaps it would be useful to add vendor(s) capable of blanking one's skills to zero so one might redistribute skill points? Yes I know one can delete a character and start over, but even at accelerated XP that's a bit more grind than a lot of people would care to go through, and I imagine the stress test would be most effective with fully-loaded 150s than half-filled-out noob characters regrinding to repair an error?

I wouldn't imagine this would be terribly hard to implement...

Already discussed and no. If we go through the trouble to code that, we might as well just code the actual skill.

Before you ask, there are more "high priority" tasks that are being worked on right now.

- Marco

well its good to know that CF is not in the game yet... but I do agree that is affecting the test... I know a number of people (myself included) who just bang out trade to 50 first and spend NO skill points.... except a few points to get warp up... and once we get trade to rollover, get a full tour done (again spending no skill points cuz we already have speed)...

and then start combat.. but by the time we start combat and actually (gradually) spending skill points we are coming at low level mobs with high level shields and hull so we basically crush them...

I think you have to look at this like the electron... the electron always, naturally, takes the path of least resistance... so while we are still testing things??? we are not testing it in the way we would level up in live...

Now if you dont wanna code CF now and there are "more high priority" tasks... I believe you, but this one still seems important...

Also, I remember from an earlier ST... some people would ask GM's (or whoever) for level resets and supposedly got them... if there is a command /level reset (or whatever) that does not seem to hard to code to a npc

NPC: Would you like a skill point reset?

Player: Yes please make me feel young as when the world was new.

NPC: Talk to me again.

------

NPC: This Skill Point Reset is irreversible click yes to proceed

Player: Yes (OH! Yes? ;))

I remember the actual Call Forward skill and have some idea how much stuff would be involved to code it: a lot. All I'm suggesting is:

talk to NPC -> are you sure? yes/no -> for(playerskill, 1, 20){ inject playerskill level = 0 }

I don't know what the code looks like but if it took more than five minutes to implement I'd be surprised.

Just a thought. *shrugs*

Ten minutes? Plus recompiling? :P

More like two months. Knowing our luck, it would cause everyone's characters to be rest to zero, with zero skill points. And just for the "icing on the cake," the database would end up with such a severe amount of corruption, that we would have to drop the database and create an empty new one. Actually, that sounds like a swell Idea for a Account Wipe. Maybe I should go suggest that to the DEV team?

*Sneaks away while looking like ;) *

- Marco

Forgive my ignorance, but then how does it handle when you add a point to a skill then? Puts the data in a buffer to be injected when you log out?

Solution in that case would be to force a logout when someone uses the reset vendor...

Voodoo magic. ;)

Not sure on exact details, ask Tienbau. But be forewarned... he's busier now, then ever.

- Marco

You are asking for a number of database tables to be forcibly updated.....not to a higher number but to no number at all. This will affect every other table that interacts with these tables....and there are a ton.

Removing values from a database, as said in previous posts, requires some very skilled coding to avoid corruption/unforeseen problems.....and for what purpose? If you want to level a different way just create a new toon and do it.....will it take a while? Definitely...but the time spent will be you testing all the stuff that players avoid when they use the fastest leveling mechanic possible...IE: testing what needs to be tested without a 'quick and easy fix' ....which is neither quick nor easy.

Device required (expensive) to be equipped to remove the set amount of points - only one skill at a time

The device had to be greater or equal to the level of the skill.

Eg., to remove Self Destruct [5] you needed to equip a level 5+ device. Level 1-4 devices would not show up that skill in the display on the Sentinel. The higher the skill level then the higher the device level the Sentinel had to equip. This was the prime cost for Call Forward as those level 9 devices could be rather expensive.

I don't remember there being any credit cost other than the device and whatever you may have charged the player. This did mean that Sentinels that had not advanced their Device to level 9 coudn't remove extremely high level skills. Level 5 could help some skills but ideally level 9 was a kind of 'universal device' so any one skill could have its' skill points returned.

It only ever was 1 skill at a time. This could get expensive and you required to locate a Sentinel with suitable Device skills.

To clarify on this "voodoo magic" all actions in game go into what amounts to a merry-go-round with numbered slots (a very very very large, numbered merry-go-round) and it drops off each update as it passes. That's the easiest way I could describe to you on how it works. (For the tech heads, it's a threaded queue)

It does this to avoid trying to change everything immediately. If we allowed everything to change in real time, it would cause massive lag for everyone. Do you want that? :)

Now, with that said, it does not cause corruption for the values to be changed while a player is logged in, but your user data is initialized from that data when you log in. Thus the reason GMs must tell you to log out and back in after they make a change on your toon.

We are almost guaranteed not to implement this suggestion because it would be wasted work when the skill can just be implemented when it's time. Yes it may not be fun to grind or now, but because of the stage we want to focus on things like getting major systems working (this does include the skill but it'll be some time because there ARE higher priority issues, like I mentioned in another thread: Jobs)

Please be patient with us while everything gets set back up. I will discuss it with everyone else to perhaps open up some more communication as that seems to be a priority from a lot of these posts. You're not going to get instant information, but you might see some changes here soon. We'll look at what we can do to improve our communication with everyone.

I know the team has other priorities, and that this skill would seem useful more as a way to skip grinding... but I personally think that it might serve testing purposes better if players were free to essentially pick and choose their levels, skills, etc. and then do targeted testing at the devs' request in particular areas or systems. LOTRO for example has a test server where you can just select your levels and buy all your equipment--specifically to test those levels and quests and equipment. I know the setup here is a bit different but I do believe it would be an idea to seriously consider, possibly useful enough to justify the time expenditure. *shrug*

my alzheimers aside... call forward was not released with the game was it?

my alzheimers aside... call forward was not released with the game was it?

so although it would be cool... I guess we could make do without it... I mean if you get enough skill points cf is moot anyway (lol thats the 2nd time I said moot in a forum post this week) so in the words of the Soup Nazi... "No Call Forward for you, come back... whenever" :0