External website for news/status

Hi,

I would suggest an external informative website thats not on the net-7.org domain. So if there is some kind of crash, like last weekend, we will be able to see that there is a problem.

Nothing fancy, just informative.

Cheers

It seems that page is down as well atm. I think the original post was some place "EVERYONE" could get to without signing up to Facebook and not on the net-7 servers.

www.enbdatabase.com is not on the net-7 servers ;)

I think there's a confusion between enbdatabase.com and enbdatabase.net-7.org; also, I don't think enbdatabase.org is a valid address.

I'll second this suggestion, most people had to search Google to find anything, and not much shows up. I finally searched for EnB and Slayerman and found the enbdatabase.com site, but the forums are locked and nobody was home :)

The EnB Emulator facebook page did not show up on Google, but a related post by someone on FB did, and that led me over to the page, where I could find a launcher workaround.

So perhaps just a post here naming an "official" alternate information site would help?

Edited by wootage

I'll second this suggestion, most people had to search Google to find anything, and not much shows up. I finally searched for EnB and Slayerman and found the enbdatabase.com site, but the forums are locked and nobody was home :)

The EnB Emulator facebook page did not show up on Google, but a related post by someone on FB did, and that led me over to the page, where I could find a launcher workaround.

So perhaps just a post here naming an "official" alternate information site would help?

Not going to happen, seems that a good suggestion and anything outside direct control is not allowed. This edit does NOT show up in a quote from me on Cdel's post

Edited by Mimir

Not going to happen, seems that a good suggestion and anything outside direct control is not allowed.

I have no idea where you're getting this from. Now that we've had this problem, we surely will set up a secondary source of information in case this happens in the future. Your original posts, before you edited them, were fairly hostile; I don't understand where this aggression in our direction comes from. Our own internal communication ability was extremely compromised during this entire process, as was our ability to communicate anything to the community. For instance, I tried for hours to get into the play server to let people know what was going on; I wasn't able to log on.

Can we just be glad things are back up and running and we haven't lost all of our forum data all over again? When our dev server crashed (completely) a little over a year ago, it took months to sort things out (and they still aren't completely).

I have no idea where you're getting this from. Now that we've had this problem, we surely will set up a secondary source of information in case this happens in the future. Your original posts, before you edited them, were fairly hostile; I don't understand where this aggression in our direction comes from. Our own internal communication ability was extremely compromised during this entire process, as was our ability to communicate anything to the community. For instance, I tried for hours to get into the play server to let people know what was going on; I wasn't able to log on.

Can we just be glad things are back up and running and we haven't lost all of our forum data all over again? When our dev server crashed (completely) a little over a year ago, it took months to sort things out (and they still aren't completely).

I dont think pointing out that a site that was posted for an alternate information site was not functional was terribly hostile. I had no way of knowing that it was a .com and not a .org as was posted. But now the post was edited both in the original AND in my quote of that post does tend to make me look like a total ass or idiot. So yes if changing a quote in my post tends to piss me off a bit... you bet.

Perhaps it should but I think the poor guy works on net-7.org so much for everyone that its just habit to write .org by now.

I know that feeling! Whenever I need to type 'net' for anything, I can't help myself typing 'net7'.

Hi,

I would suggest an external informative website thats not on the net-7.org domain. So if there is some kind of crash, like last weekend, we will be able to see that there is a problem.

Nothing fancy, just informative.

Cheers

prob already mentioned but i used the www.facebook.com page just search for "earth & beyond" there are a couple its that one

but yeah...

i'd also like to suggest a way to get teamspeak more involved in the game

not knowing anything

"would it be possible to put an option on the launcher to also bring up our teamspeak site just so newbies would at least know about it and ask about how to get in?

just a thought

searing

prob already mentioned but i used the www.facebook.com page just search for "earth & beyond" there are a couple its that one

but yeah...

i'd also like to suggest a way to get teamspeak more involved in the game

not knowing anything

"would it be possible to put an option on the launcher to also bring up our teamspeak site just so newbies would at least know about it and ask about how to get in?

just a thought

searing

That could be helpful. I'll be sure to add something like that into my new launcher. (yep, still working on it... :P)

Just as a side note you've prob already done this in your launcher update

is i run Win7 i've never had to run it in xp comptiblity mode or any of that worked just fine out of the box

but a month ago i was asking why xp ver has the proxy sort option and my win 7 ver did not

well the launcher was not updating but working just fine on my end so i did a force update

got me to thinking besides not sure why the above happened i was also talking to other win7 users and a lot of them have to run the launcher in xp compatiblity mode

so besides figuring out why my launcher did not update above

my suggetion would be under help have a box Win 7 users and just point out in a dialog box something like

"If your Win 7 install did not work make sure you are running in Admin Mode...you can also run the game in XP compatblity mode

and directions for a force update to get around all that

I don't program so am not sure about what exactly would work the best but a dialog box telling them about xp compatiblity mode, admin access

and or try a force update might help when they run to check the help area

again just a thought but did not know that other Win7 users had to run in XP compatible mode ..did know about the admin mode but not sure a newbie would

anyway again my 2c worth prob all this has been discussed before and already in the mix just thought it was funny that my updates all worked fine etc

the game never gave me a problem but the launcher front end never changed to match w/the box for the proxy sort or whatever the box is ....heh

again my 2c worth

keep up the good work

(and yes i'm impressed the site did not go boom into the nite like a year ago)

searing

and er while i'm at it

how come my user pic shows up just fine here on my puter end but not on my posts now

something i have to check or redo a perm on the site or something

i'm so vain

searing

Oh dear, so i do apologies and i have edited the posts :P

I dont think pointing out that a site that was posted for an alternate information site was not functional was terribly hostile. I had no way of knowing that it was a .com and not a .org as was posted. But now the post was edited both in the original AND in my quote of that post does tend to make me look like a total ass or idiot. So yes if changing a quote in my post tends to piss me off a bit... you bet.

My apologies, it was my choice to edit your post and i did say so, this was to remove any future confusion, must have missed CDels in my editing spree.

Just as a side note you've prob already done this in your launcher update

is i run Win7 i've never had to run it in xp comptiblity mode or any of that worked just fine out of the box

but a month ago i was asking why xp ver has the proxy sort option and my win 7 ver did not

well the launcher was not updating but working just fine on my end so i did a force update

got me to thinking besides not sure why the above happened i was also talking to other win7 users and a lot of them have to run the launcher in xp compatiblity mode

so besides figuring out why my launcher did not update above

my suggetion would be under help have a box Win 7 users and just point out in a dialog box something like

"If your Win 7 install did not work make sure you are running in Admin Mode...you can also run the game in XP compatblity mode

and directions for a force update to get around all that

I don't program so am not sure about what exactly would work the best but a dialog box telling them about xp compatiblity mode, admin access

and or try a force update might help when they run to check the help area

again just a thought but did not know that other Win7 users had to run in XP compatible mode ..did know about the admin mode but not sure a newbie would

anyway again my 2c worth prob all this has been discussed before and already in the mix just thought it was funny that my updates all worked fine etc

the game never gave me a problem but the launcher front end never changed to match w/the box for the proxy sort or whatever the box is ....heh

again my 2c worth

keep up the good work

(and yes i'm impressed the site did not go boom into the nite like a year ago)

searing

The new launcher I'm working on is entirely new from the ground up. These issues should all be resolved between my new launcher and Kyp's new installer, which should be rolling out side-by-side.

and er while i'm at it

how come my user pic shows up just fine here on my puter end but not on my posts now

something i have to check or redo a perm on the site or something

i'm so vain

searing

Good question. I will look into that for you.

Apology accepted,and sorry for my over reaction. I have never had quotes in my posts edited before.

I apologize as well; I reacted to harshly to your posts, which I misunderstood. It's been stressful around here lately with the server crash and I'm swamped with various things to do. Please excuse my lapse of calm.

That could be helpful. I'll be sure to add something like that into my new launcher. (yep, still working on it... :P)

Allow me to refine my earlier suggestion a bit, since I completely spaced on the fact that the LAUNCHER HAS A WEB BROWSER lol.

So obviously, one could set up the launcher's home page to have links to the various information sites and simply cache it so that even if the Net-7 services fail, that page will still show to the user. So they can click around to Slayerman's site, the Facebook page, whatever, and see what's going on (hopefully launching the link in an external browser).

Also, let me express my thanks for all of the hard work you guys did getting things working again. Truly, when it works, it works pretty darn well :D And even when stuff didn't work, the play server stayed up and stable as heck (for me anyways).

W