New cat in town

Well hello there!

My name is Radosław and i am 25years old guy from central europe country name Poland. Before anything else i would like to state that my english is not my native lang and most all of it comes from medias as i am self-learner (never had english language lessons in my country:)( ) so you need to forgive me for my grammar mistakes and spelling errors.

About E&B ive learned very long time ago seeing a beautifull trailer of the game which i got from games magazine with a CD. The gameplay seems nice, the graphics for that times was literaly unreal. i dreamed about the game and want to play but without proper PC setting and internet (yeah, my country was always a rat's hole in case of progress...but hey! we've been nearly anihilated so many times during last hundred years and especialy WW2 that its almost a miracle that we are even on the europe map heh). And when ive finaly got the PC and internet the game was dead already....but the karma flows and all dreams and wishes are always filled... it just takes various amount of time heh. So, after so many years Earth and Beyond is finaly in range of my hands, close enough to grasp it.

about the emulator project ive learned very recently, from http://www.spacesimcentral.com.'>http://www.spacesimcentral.com. Ive been playing Escape Velocity: Nova and it awaken my long-forgoten lust and desire for space games. after finishing the game ive started to search for other games from the genhre, exploring and discovering new and new sites and projects. and after a huge chain of links ive landed here.

from http://www.spacesimcentral.com ive learned that the game is off-line now which as a news created many diffrent, mixed feelings.

from one point of view i was happy as playing mnay various MMO's made me literaly anti-social in terms of net gaming. so much grifing, abusing, immatureness, kids, cursing, selfishness and grind... but from another point of view playing a game alone that was made as on line felt and bit wrong and lonely... then ive learned about first servers being brought into life.

my question now is: is it possible to try the game out off line? and what exactly i need to do/download in order to play it? sadly but informations are quite scatared around the place and arent much user friendly for a dumb-head like me. currently i am downloading "E&B_demo.exe" from one of the websites which links you have provided in another part of the forums.

can somebody write me a step-by-step guide on how to setup the game? as long as its not some kind of rocket science i think i'll be able to follow, just be a bit patient. after all, even with my rather comunicative english speaking and understending the information flow will be far from perfect.

and well, lemme just say this: i dont know who you are guys, i dont know what made you think of emulating this game but you do something incredible and its great that there are still people with dreames and courage to grasp them. you have my full support here.

if the game will end up fun to play and the server will be handled wise and with care you can be sure that my support will quickly translate into more "material" form, if you know what i mean.

Best regards

Irbis

Welcome to the forum !

Setup your play account

Download game Here

Download game Patch Here

Download NET7 Client Here

Read the Code of conduct Here

Run Net7 program and it will auto update to the latest version.

Click PLAY and you are away !

There is no offline version at the moment sorry..

btw. Your English is better than most English people lol.

hello and thank you for the fast reply :)

i am downloading all needed files now but i have a question about the in-game accounts:

so basicly i just need to type (in game) my current forums ids right? like for example if my login here is like "iRideCowsWithHelmet" i need to use the very same login in game?

oh and for step-by-step (assuming i have downloaded everything )

1. run E&B demo exe

2. run patch

3. run net7 setup

is this correct?

You will need to create your INGAME account at http://www.net-7.org.

You will need to have your forum details to enter in to the form to create a new account for playing.

I hope this helps.

As for who are we?

We are a bunch on EnB Fanatics who loved the game that much we have spent several years of our free time developing the game to make it what it was, but better... much much better.

Can i also say your English is better than some of the people that actually do have it as there Native language. Kudos for teaching yourself :)

aahhh the old-forgoten "devoted player"... havent seen one in years! maybe its just the 21's century or maybe the gaming industries are spoonfeeding us with plain, candyland, "empty" games. this way or another - devoted players are like white crows those days. glad i finaly met the remenants of this dying rase *wink wink*.

So okey i have registrated at net7. do i need to login there every time i want to play?

and thank you for your kind words regarding my english language knowledge :)

i need to add i never studied the lang. it just came as side-effect. from watching satelite TV, discoveries channel, cartoon network (Sic!), watching subbed anime, and of course - playing adventure games. remember all those old adventure games with Indiana Jones? walls of text! and not even a slightest clue whats going on. so i took my eng-pol dictionary and just keep checking all the words. its only natural that i have remembered many of the words and sentences this way. even now when world moved and many if not most of the games published or distributed in my country are translated i still prefer the original english versions and so, after 15 years i am still playing many games with my right hand on the mouse and left hand sitting on that very same old dictionary :) this is to keep this old-dog rusty english in well condition.

i dont know really what they teach kids those days... why the next generations are so dry with curiocity? and its not because of the lazzyness. damn! i was one of the most lazzy bum back then!

ahh sorry, i am talking to much it seems. just happy with this warm welcome ive recived :)

cheers!

ummm it apears i have some problems.

1. i downloaeded the E&B demo, patch and Net7

2. instaled demo, patch and net7

3. ive launched LaunchNet7.exe and picked e&b.exe as the target.

4. it detects an update but is trying to instal/download it in wrong folder. the e&b folder is C:\gry\Earth & Beyond and the net7 is trying to download the files to just C:\gry\ creating new folders ect.

UPDATE:

ahh sorry ive picked the wrong file... its supposed to be client.exe placed in C:\gry\Earth & Beyond\release. now its patching correctly.

UPDATE2:

which server i should use?

theres 4 of them. Net7 single, Net7 multi, Net7 single custome and Net multi custome

Edited by Irbis

well after turning avast off and adding the whole E&B folder with Net7 to exception list the program started to update again and...

screenshot0003120100128.png

as for that non-english part it means:

Details: the time limit of operation have passed(+/-)

and this is from "Error log":

LaunchNet7 - Exception
Version: 1.8.1.0
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:42:24 GMT
System.Net.WebException: Upłynął limit czasu operacji
   w System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   w LaunchNet7.LauncherUtility.DownloadString(String url, Int32 timeoutInMilliseconds)
   w LaunchNet7.LauncherUtility.DownloadString(String url)
   w LaunchNet7.Updateing.Updater.CheckForUpdates()
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:47:05 GMT
   w LaunchNet7.LauncherUtility.DownloadString(String url, Int32 timeoutInMilliseconds)
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:54:34 GMT
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:56:43 GMT
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:46:21 GMT
System.ApplicationException: Could not launch Net7 Server. Details: Nie można odnaleźć określonego pliku ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Nie można odnaleźć określonego pliku
   w System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   w System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
   w System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   w LaunchNet7.Launcher.LaunchNet7Server()
   --- Koniec śladu stosu wyjątków wewnętrznych ---
   w LaunchNet7.Launcher.Launch()
   w LaunchNet7.FormMain.DoLaunch(LaunchSetting setting)
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:53:33 GMT
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:53:55 GMT
System.ApplicationException: Could not launch Net7 Server. Details: Nie można odnaleźć określonego pliku ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Nie można odnaleźć określonego pliku
   w System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:54:08 GMT
Message: Could not install certificate. HostName: "local.net-7.org", Port: 443
System.ApplicationException: Could not retrieve server certificate.
   w LaunchNet7.CertificationUtility.InstallCertificate(String hostName, Int32 port)
   w LaunchNet7.FormMain.DoInstallCertificate(String hostname, Int32 port)
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:54:50 GMT
   w LaunchNet7.CertificationUtility.InstallCertificate(String hostName, Int32 port)
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:57:16 GMT
Message: Could not install certificate. HostName: "play.net-7.org", Port: 443
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:58:38 GMT
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:02:47 GMT
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:07:28 GMT
LaunchNet7 - Exception
Time: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:07:35 GMT

This is strange, it looks like the updater cannot reach the server. Can you try to open http://patch.net-7.org/ ?

Does that work? Do you use a proxy server to connect to the internet?

EDIT: And hi, and welcome to EnB ;) I am also mostly self-educated when it comes to English skills... I might as well have skipped English classes later. You can actually learn better at home anyways (at least I do, or I didn't get the right teachers). The last teacher I had didn't know the difference between "in spite of" and "although", he almost made me insane :P

I'm not certain you should be trying the single player option - and that may be causing you to try to connect to a local server that doesn't exist (local.net-7.org), which would/could explain the timeout message. Have you tried changing the option to Multi-player and attempting to connect to play.net-7.org?

BTW, I agree with the others that your English is no worse than that of many native English speakers and better than some. Congratulations to you for doing so well without any formal language training.

This is strange, it looks like the updater cannot reach the server. Can you try to open http://patch.net-7.org/ ?

Does that work? Do you use a proxy server to connect to the internet?

EDIT: And hi, and welcome to EnB ;) I am also mostly self-educated when it comes to English skills... I might as well have skipped English classes later. You can actually learn better at home anyways (at least I do, or I didn't get the right teachers). The last teacher I had didn't know the difference between "in spite of" and "although", he almost made me insane :D

hmm yes i can and no i dont use any proxy servers currently.

my thoughts exactly :) i belive that the "Need" is the best teacher possible in life

I'm not certain you should be trying the single player option - and that may be causing you to try to connect to a local server that doesn't exist (local.net-7.org), which would/could explain the timeout message. Have you tried changing the option to Multi-player and attempting to connect to play.net-7.org?

BTW, I agree with the others that your English is no worse than that of many native English speakers and better than some. Congratulations to you for doing so well without any formal language training.

hmm great idea! ill try it now.

shame that my descent english cannot make my E&B to run smothly :)

you may want to re-download and re-install the net-7 launcher. There is no longer support for the single player mode. I just got it working on my netbook-mini, all I did was Install EnB, run the manual patcher, and install net-7 in that order. I had to wait about 2 hours for net-7 to patch up to current, after that it works great.

you may want to re-download and re-install the net-7 launcher. There is no longer support for the single player mode. I just got it working on my netbook-mini, all I did was Install EnB, run the manual patcher, and install net-7 in that order. I had to wait about 2 hours for net-7 to patch up to current, after that it works great.

you know what?

it worked O_O simple reinstaling Net7 and v'la - i am playing ;) wohow!

funny-pictures-cat-explains-computers.jpg

just cause you said cat ;)

hey laugh all you want but i consider myself as a Cat (yes, with a big "C"). my nickname which i use from like 10 years is also not a coaccident ;)

and hey most of you got this cool looking signature under your posts, can i have one too? =O

okey guys.

ive played the game for over 2 days now.

i have invited my teenage brother and my friends.

but first ive gathered them for a movies sessions.

we've watched Space Odyssey 2010, Sunshine, couple of Star Trek episodes.

then, ive showed them Earth and Beyond.

i think a new stream of donations should flow in very soon.

i think someone needs to tell me how i can donate.

i think i have found the game of my dreams and i hope you will be able to keep E&B emu running for as long as the stars shine.

i think it was wourth it, to wait all this years.

i consider myself a very lucky man now.

kudos. what else could i say?

thank you