Lvl 4 Jd Beams Question

Right now i'm using 2 Orion UGC 4 and a Clawing Bobcat. But it seems against mobs my lvl damage is really low. I remember back in live the point of beams were quick kills within range. It takes me awhile to kill anything. Should i be using another weapon's setup?

You might want to try 2 Clawing Bobcats, and only 1 UGC - the UGC is an Energy beam, so depending on the mob your after, you more than likely want more plasma damage than energy. Also watch the numbers when you fire on a mob, they will show +/- damage results for the weapons you use. This may also tell you if the mob your trying to kill has an energy / plasma buff resulting in less damage from your weapons.
I'm sure someone will follow up with better advice, as I don't use beams atm.

3 X Ocelot Plasma
1 X Draco Reactor for beam range
1 X Rada for Plasma Debuff

Rada at lower levels because range is 2.5K, Chim at lower level is only 1.5K.
Make sure you are using player-made stuff with 200% quality, its a huge different in damage!

If you cant find anyone building it for you, watch out for me logging in later, i can build all of them.
  • Upvote 1

uhmm...normally there are no plasma debuff stuff for Progens - ONLY for Jennys ... :P
Except Bully eye...but that L8...

Whats your ingame name?

PS.:

Lookup Ocelot, Draco and Rada your levels (Net-7.org, log in, click database) and grab the parts alrdy (Joves)....

[quote name='Castagere' timestamp='1334583541' post='56824']
Wow thank you guys. And Zackman i will look for you ingame.I have never seen any Plasma debuff items for JD only Progen one. My device lvl is 3 also. I do have that reactor though.
[/quote]

Chimaera is usable by all Jenquai and runs from L3-L9. The Rada also works to debuff plasma. You also might want to get a Coma device as well. Coma is a Jenquai only device that runs from L3-L9, it blinds your enemies, thereby reducing their weapon range (make sure your sig is low). JE, JW don't get PM energy debuffers, of the Jenquai only the JT gets that, with the L3-L9 Manticore line of devices.

Theres a whole lot of ways to play a Jenquai specifically a JD.
Your play style and your patience will dictate what you will ultimately install and use.
There are things that were not yet said that you may want to consider.
Beams:
Ocelot's x 2
Red Fox x 1 (the Fast tractor beam Buff will help stop the urge to but in something in for your tractor beam's speed and it will upgrade to L5 Black Fox)
At Level 5 Consider the Mastiff Line of Plasma beams.

Cloak is a Jenquai's friend. Find anything that will improve your cloaking speed:
Pegasus-engine Level 4 to L6
Source Of Inspiration-Reactor L4. iirc its part of the reward for the Jenquai L30 Hull upgrade bonus mission.

Here's why the Cloak and Plasma beams. Shoot and Cloak. The Plasma Beam will tick damage (D.O.T.) once every second for 5 seconds. So while your cloaked your still doing damage! But you may already know that.

The Ocelot's stats: @ Every 4 seconds Damage (200%) 32 (48.00) - Plasma DPS (200%) 8.00 (12.00)
The Red Fox's Stats: @ Every 6 seconds. Damage (200%) 44 (66.00) - Plasma DPS (200%) 7.33 (11.00)

I would prefer to Do a heavier first shot a take full advantage of the Plasma's D.O.T. 5 seconds this will give me time to reposition myself and the NPC to do the same.
The 6 second reload of the Fox beam compliments the D.O.T. of the plasma.

The Only drawback of the Fox is the energy use, you'll use 7 more energy per shot over the Ocelots.
Try to find NPC that have only forward firing weapons either beams or PL's, to hunt.
So install devices:
Corona Borealis (Psi-shield buff)
Power Of the Elements (L5) (+520 Reactor)
Chimaera or The Rada (Plasma Debuff).

Have fun, experiment.

I'd argue against the Pegasus engine for combat, it has a high sig, and you don't want other mobs attacking you while you're busy fighting one of them. Start off with a vendor Mercurius, Halley, or Trifid engine, depending on your engine tech level. When you can, get a Solar Sail for combat, keeps your sig low, those run from L2-L4. There are also L7 and L8 Solar Sails but those are a bit harder to get. You need a warp fiber for the L8 (not sure if those drop anywhere), the L7 was a mission reward in Live, not sure if it's currently available. Keep 2 engines on hand, high warp engine for travel, and a low sig engine for combat. When you max your Engine Tech, then get a L8 Solar Sail as soon as you can (it's good for both travel & combat).

Once you get Combat Cloak, improved cloaking buffs don't make you cloak quicker (or at least aren't supposed to), instead they make your stealth strike (damage bonus) longer when you decloak. Combat Cloak should take 3 seconds to engage completely, and it's not supposed to be possible to have shorter cloak engage time than 3 seconds regardless of buffs.

Engine is then one category i use prototype engines. Sig around 1K and still high warp.
You can always add a musca to it and stay under 1K Sig that way.

At higher levels, invisible Eye Device, beams and FVE will help reducing SIG so u can use engines with higher SIG so you can still use them in combat for their nice buffs.
I used Crystalline Aparratus (7) & Dynamo (8) as well.

[quote name='Castagere' timestamp='1334579774' post='56820']
Right now i'm using 2 Orion UGC 4 and a Clawing Bobcat. But it seems against mobs my lvl damage is really low. I remember back in live the point of beams were quick kills within range. It takes me awhile to kill anything. Should i be using another weapon's setup?
[/quote]

You may want to create a shortcut to your desktop of this thread if your serious about this toon.
I told you there would be better advice - Welcome to the Emulator :D

He's got level four Beams. :P
His Combat cloak is a long ways away.

[i]Seeing how there is not a good improved cloak item (yet) near his level that would compliment his beams or Sig (hint hint).[/i]

I went with that Engine. Unless he wants to use points for PL's and get the Cloak buff from one of the Jenquai PL's.

JD Teachings: Summons pull your enemy away from his allies.
Cloak before the NPC has a chance to turn and fire.
When your behind the NPC then fire again, as long as he has summoned his prey from the others.
Knock off a second or two from your cloak speed and you don't have to hit your fire button twice, He should be able to get his cloak up in time for his beams to fire again. All you have to do is hit your cloak button as soon as the beams refire. Later on this will be deadly with Combat Cloak and beams with the same or near same firing rate.

I agree the Halley DDO engine is a good choice if you can not get the Targeted NPC away from his Allies.

[quote name='Evermore' timestamp='1334669552' post='56850']
You may want to create a shortcut to your desktop of this thread if your serious about this toon.
I told you there would be better advice - Welcome to the Emulator :D
[/quote]Lol i will do that. So much info. I want to make sure i get all these devices and equipment made. The engine i'm using is the halley(SPELLING) My sig.is 1.6k now.. I have all player made gear now also. I do need to get the device that buffs the psi shield though. I do have the device the recharges the reactor equipped. Is that worth the slot at this lvl? I just hit combat lvl 20 and i'm fighting the claimjumpers in Carpenter near the mining outpost. And i do want to make this my main. Combat cloak sounds cool. Where do you get the solar sail engine? And how do you use the Coma device? When do you activate it? before or after you summon the mob?

You have to get a Solar sail engine by having another player build you one, same for the Chimaera and Coma devices. Coma, Chimaera and all debuffers work the same way. Equip the device, drag it into a shortcut slot, target the mob you wish to use it on, and click the shortcut to activate the device in said shortcut when in range. The Coma device has a longer range than the Chimaera device. You will want to keep a little distance when using the Coma, and a low sig, to get the most out of it. If you're not cloaked how far away a mob can see you is determined by your signature, plus the mob's scan range (that's why debuffing scan and keeping your sig low, makes it harder for enemies to see you, mobs cannot hit what they cannot see).

Your sig seems a bit high for using a Halley on a Jenquai toon, do you have any items installed that raise your signature?

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1334709324' post='56860']
You have to get a Solar sail engine by having another player build you one, same for the Chimaera and Coma devices. Coma, Chimaera and all debuffers work the same way. Equip the device, drag it into a shortcut slot, target the mob you wish to use it on, and click the shortcut to activate the device in said shortcut when in range. The Coma device has a longer range than the Chimaera device. You will want to keep a little distance when using the Coma, and a low sig, to get the most out of it. If you're not cloaked how far away a mob can see you is determined by your signature, plus the mob's scan range (that's why debuffing scan and keeping your sig low, makes it harder for enemies to see you, mobs cannot hit what they cannot see).

Your sig seems a bit high for using a Halley on a Jenquai toon, do you have any items installed that raise your signature?
[/quote] Ok i was wrong about my sig. Its 0.6 k. Ok so you don't use summon on the mob when using the Coma You sneak in with cloak?

If there are a bunch of buddies around you'd probably still summon him. You have options there, you can summon him, coma him, then teleport him (or yourself) away. Cloak close and keep hitting him until he dies. Another possiblity is for you to sneak just to coma range, blind him, then summon him. Also if you haven't already, get your Explore & Trade levels ahead of your CL, so you can use higher level Reactors, Devices, and Shields than you could use if EL, CL, and TL were roughly equal. Make sure you're using a Gallina, Draco, or Cygnus reactor, depending on your reactor tech, all give beam range buffs. Gallina & Draco also give activatable reactor recharge buffs, use those buffs on yourself.