How was Live different?

I didn't play Live for very long - just long enough for my demo key to expire.

My question is, what are all the different ways that Live was different from EnB-Emu?

Thanks.

More lag in high bases.

More people (duh)

Community about the same.

More mobs(sorta) cause of V'rix

Loot was on everything.

Job's were available.

The PP,JS, TS classes were not avaiable.

Less 'points/gates/sectors.'

Less vendors.

Some things still are not in place or working yet on Emu. So live had advantage of all skills work 100% Correctly.

Mobs were 'smarter'

Mostly basic stuff.

I just played beta back in live. Additional things I remember:

Megan's tutorial on basic ship control

some Speech (is being restored on some NPCs)

GM/Bug/Help interface (didn't really try it. I figured the buttons are still there, but I think it doesn't do anything since the server crash)

And there was a lot less XP. I remeber getting to level 3 only after a few starter quests and killing a few dozen level 0 drones... Although making money might have been easier with random missions and more loot.

XP debt was handled differently, I think it counted down with time. So when you logged out it would disappear after a few hours tops.

Oh and there are no PvP Arenas (yet). (weren't in the beta, too)

Like Heirku said, lag was really bad at times back then.

Best of all though, Emu is free and open-source and the community is a bunch of nice people.

Just found a few things about the closed beta and the Demo preview:

http://rpgvaultarchive.ign.com/features/media/e301/earthbeyond/screen02.jpg

http://rpgvaultarchive.ign.com/features/specials/e301mearthbeyond.shtml

http://rpgvaultarchive.ign.com/features/specials/e301earthandbeyond.shtml

game looked quite different back in 2001 :(

Cheers,

Joe

well we have to assume that you mean what is different here from live allowing for all the non-finished content to come in (there is a great deal yet to add). so we've got the 3 unfinished classes, several new sectors, many relating to the new classes, a few new mobs in those sectors but not many. some skills self target by default when you have no target or a mob targeted (fairly intuitive and very sensible), there are now all kinds of racial building, analizing, dismantle bonuses that are fairly well hidden, there are more factors for final build quality now like, overall trade level, total number of prints in that field, player made component percentage. there is for now an xp boost on the low end of things, i think it ends at 100 but it's been some time since i saw a post on it. there are new bonus xp rules like trading to players gives more xp than the vender for all items, at some point this was tied to the trade level of your trading partner, but i'm not sure if that is still relevant, at the time the lower the TL of the recipient the better your xp was. the fishbowl is an open instance atm, this is probably temporary since none of the raid progressions are in yet. i persoanlly don't think the community is back yet but i kept alot of channels off in live, i knew who i wanted to talk to and associate with and market was only on when i was actively shopping, so it seems like largely the bottom of the barel atm with all channels on. there are lots of actual noobs around now not just people playing noob for a laugh. they are waiting to advance some things because of the desire for a storyline progresion so some of the mobs, loot, etc you remember from live will not be in for some time.

some skills self target by default when you have no target or a mob targeted (fairly intuitive and very sensible)...

Yeah that is pretty cool, saved my ship a few times when I was about to blow up

Actually the noobs you talk about aren't too bad IMHO cause they find new creative ways to break stuff during stress test :P

As the client is a kind of advanced passworded compressed folder containing Images, Videos and Audio and instructions as to what to do when sending and receiving a response from the server, in Live WestWood had in place servers with everything on that needed people to play the game.

The emulator and emualator server has this to recode, or how to prompt the client in the correct response and putting the content right. Everything you see on the emulator game has had to be added to the emulator stress server by the developers of the Emulator, from early days up to now (and beyond).

well since you didnt get too far in the game... lets say that there were a ton more mobs all over the place and a ton more roids and roid fields to mind all over the place... and a ton more missions... I pretty much always had some missions going on... as you level up

ugh I was afk from end of oct to end of dec. Missed all the fun :)

Other dif is that many of the quests/missions are different, mostly with dialog. Who could forget that guy near Earthcorps High Command with the heavy Russian accent? That guy was a riot B)