Net-7 Portal

Hi All,

Ive come to a point again now, where i feel that the portal is running great and there are not many bugs to fixm We appear to be at a nice juntion.

So what im asking now, as i have in the past.

What else would you all like to see on the portal?

Please, remember previous discussions before suggesting things, like drop locations, if its been there before and removed, its likely it wont go back!

So, here we go, what do you need?

Requested so far

• Live link
  • Eve Style character API
  • Race/Restriction Search.

Hi All,

Ive come to a point again now, where i feel that the portal is running great and there are not many bugs to fixm We appear to be at a nice juntion.

So what im asking now, as i have in the past.

What else would you all like to see on the portal?

Please, remember previous discussions before suggesting things, like drop locations, if its been there before and removed, its likely it wont go back!

So, here we go, what do you need?

I would like to have a dev account on net-7. ;)

I send you already a PM but you did not give me an answer.

Maybe you could have a look if i have one and if not set me up one?  :):

greets

Hexergirl

Make it linked to the live database so it's finally up to date. :)

(Tell me which Voltoi drops the damn Golden Dragon Laser San L9 or change the mob information in the old database that the portal is using and then I won't know that the database is out of date!)

The tab bar could that be made fixed on the screen so if you scroll down it stays visible?

I'd kinda like to be able to query an API-like thing to find out information for a particular character.

Set it up by logging in to the portal, generating an ID token for a character, then using the ID token to query details returned in XML format. The ID token would limit the requests to the owner of the character or may be a guild given the ID token. May be an ID token could be deleted by the character owner, or a new one generated invalidating the old one.

(I know, very like EVE Online -- it's an idea anyway, something to do).

When I close the tab with the item I was looking at in Search, it go back to the list of things I was searching. I would also like to see the ability to search by effects, while searching for one race only, one profession only, or one specific class only. So a person looking for items with a specific buff can look only at the items they can use.

So if a Jenquai Defender is looking, they could search for effects for all warriors, all Jenquai, or JW, in terms of items they can use. (Items they can use, that other classes can use would still show up)

I would like to have a dev account on net-7. :)

I send you already a PM but you did not give me an answer.

Maybe you could have a look if i have one and if not set me up one?  :rolleyes::

greets

Hexergirl

If you log in with your Game dev account, that will give you Dev access to the portal.

Doesnt look or do anything different yet apart from you get to see the live link in action:))

Make it linked to the live database so it's finally up to date. :rolleyes:

(Tell me which Voltoi drops the damn Golden Dragon Laser San L9 or change the mob information in the old database that the portal is using and then I won't know that the database is out of date!)

Coming Soon

Second part not happening

The tab bar could that be made fixed on the screen so if you scroll down it stays visible?

Will look in to this.

I'd kinda like to be able to query an API-like thing to find out information for a particular character.

Set it up by logging in to the portal, generating an ID token for a character, then using the ID token to query details returned in XML format. The ID token would limit the requests to the owner of the character or may be a guild given the ID token. May be an ID token could be deleted by the character owner, or a new one generated invalidating the old one.

(I know, very like EVE Online -- it's an idea anyway, something to do).

Maybe in the future, but not right now.

API is not neccesary just yet in my opinion - not without a seperate 'mirror' to live, trying to minimise the impact on the live database.

When I close the tab with the item I was looking at in Search, it go back to the list of things I was searching.

Already does this, goes back to the last search performed, dont see the point in going back to the search that was performed to retreive that items info, this would lead to multiple search tabs being open, or overwritting a newer search with the older one, which would be more of a problem if you ask me.

I would also like to see the ability to search by effects, while searching for one race only, one profession only, or one specific class only. So a person looking for items with a specific buff can look only at the items they can use.

So if a Jenquai Defender is looking, they could search for effects for all warriors, all Jenquai, or JW, in terms of items they can use. (Items they can use, that other classes can use would still show up)

This has been requested before, again, i will look in to this.

If you log in with your Game dev account, that will give you Dev access to the portal.

Doesnt look or do anything different yet apart from you get to see the live link in action :rolleyes:

Thx, that was it what i wanted to know. :)

greets

Hexergirl 

Would be nice if when you clicked on the N7 Portal link on the forum, that N7 open in a new window, much the way that if you access the forums from N7 Portal the forums open in a new window.

I have become so accustom to right-click and select open in new tab that I don't even notice the difference anymore, but yes, it would be nice to have it done automatically.

I have become so accustom to right-click and select open in new tab that I don't even notice the difference anymore, but yes, it would be nice to have it done automatically.

Click your scroll wheel. (sometimes referred to as center mouse button) ;)

I'll see if we can specify the target of the link on the forums, I don't think IPB lets us do that.

Click your scroll wheel. (sometimes referred to as center mouse button) ;)

I'll see if we can specify the target of the link on the forums, I don't think IPB lets us do that.

Forgot about that little trick. I grew up on a mouse that had no center wheel, so I hardly use it for anything other than scrolling up and down a long page. Actually I grew up before there was a mouse, or Windows, there was just Oregon Trail, and we were grateful for it.

• Upvote 1

Forgot about that little trick. I grew up on a mouse that had no center wheel, so I hardly use it for anything other than scrolling up and down a long page. Actually I grew up before there was a mouse, or Windows, there was just Oregon Trail, and we were grateful for it.

Oddly enough I played that game on Windows 95 many a time. Good fun.

Oh, also, I checked and we can't get the links to open up in a new tab by default. Sorry. *shrugs* ;)

Second part not happening

As much as I appreciate all the work you've put into the development of the portal, I can't help but be utterly disappointed with the new castrated version of the database. I've heard the reasons for it, and I can understand the devs not wanting the mystery of new additions being completely spoiled, but still, you've taken out like 75% of what I used the database for.

Maybe my opinion is unpopular, but I'm less interested in having the database 100% accurate up to the minute, and more interested in being able to access USEFUL information like where to find specific items. Personally I'd rather use an informative third party database (your old one, or when I play wow: thottbot/wowhead), than a live-linked but restricted first party one (new portal database, wow armory).

Maybe my opinion is unpopular, but I'm less interested in having the database 100% accurate up to the minute, and more interested in being able to access USEFUL information like where to find specific items.

Understood and agreed, however, im no longer a 3rd party, i set up the database initially as something to do as i was bored, using a database dump provided by the devs when the dumps were being released over 12 months ago, also, i know how popular my database became, i hosted this on a small website package which was cheap and had to upgrade several times as i was exceeding bandwidth quota's every month which i could not simply afford to do, i did place a donate button on there, but never got enough to keep the site going.

I neither have the time, nor the inclination to manually update, or create a database from scratch. The shear amount of work this would entail is just not possible for me.

There is nothing stopping anyone else in the community working on a database, this is what happened in Live.

The database tells you what mob/level drops the item and a quick ask, im sure, will get you the info you require.

Also, im pretty sure there is another database out there that looks pretty spiffy and uses the same dumps as mine, however the dev for that hasnt been around for a long time and i think that contains pretty much the same as my old one.

I use a smaller browser window and would like to request that the hard set left spacer be made smaller, or removed if possible. Right now I constantly have to scroll right in order to view the full contents of the box as it too is fixed width and the combination is wider than my normal browser window setting.

Thanks

P.S. On a different note, would you at all be willing to package up just the code aspects of the old database site (without the database data of course) and upload somewhere so those that are intrepid and interested in creating their own may do so with yours as a starting point? I totally understand if the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway B)

IIRC, the databases we all used in "Live", like EBIIA, Merchant Marines, etc, were set up by independant players/groups not by EA or Westwood. so the Net-7 Devs aren't doing anything differently by witholding drop locations. Perhaps one of the larger guilds might think about creating and maintaining just such a DB. Then the rest of us can stop crying because the Devs stopped spoonfeeding us.

Would it be possible to filter search results by damage type done?

When applied to weapons i.e. beams, projectiles and missile launchers it would filter the results and list only the weapons that are capable of that particular damage type and exclude the others.