How Long Will The Beta Last?

I am curious to what the plan is for the future of ENB? Is the plan to Go Live again?

If so, will it be a pay to play as before (I doubt EA would allow that on their intellectual property without a big hand in it).

If not as a full P2P, game can we get by on donations? I would guess the current dev team who have been volunteering, would eventually like to be paid for their work.

If not, please know that I, and I am sure many others, appreciate being able to play ENB again, even if only for a while.

Quogin. Lev 150++ JE on Live

Go live (yes.).
Pay? (not a chance)
Net-7 Entertainment will run as Non-profit corp to collect donations and keep game running as long as it is technologically feasible from live. Or in other words we probably won't be making an attempt of our own to build a whole new game client, adding what they wish and we'll make releases of the source at some point although it will be at least 6 months delayed from what we use on our servers.
However, no member of this team will ever be paid for what they've put in, regardless of that time. Donations are 100% used for server maintenance fees by our Datacenter & software licenses for stuff we need to make the game better.
  • Upvote 2

Well, to the whole volunteer staff and developer team, testers, web gurus and all, please know that I truly appreciate being able to again play one of the most unique and fun games ever. I appreciate your passion and efforts to keep this wonderful game alive. I wish it wouldn't have taken a comment on one of the COH closure threads to find this emu or I would have been back much sooner.

You guys(and gals) are outstanding and make me proud to be able to play again.

Now, my one and only gripe, I have been trying to donate since I came to the emu and you won't let me give you money to support the cause!

With sincere respect,
Rick Edited by Manasseh

Kyp mentioned earlier this month in a thread about donations, that we are over donated right now. Apparently we can only accept so much money because of non profit status. Hold onto your donations for now, I am sure soon Kyp will reopen the donator, and then you can put up your contribution.

Its good to have you back.

I agree Manasseh. Earth & Beyond had a very special place in my life and my son's life as well. We were heart broken when EA Games nixed it for bad reasons. I have boycotted all EA games now since 2004 when E&B was closed down. So, to see what the Emulator Dev's have done here is totally amazing to me. I can't imagine what commitment over the past eight years this has required of them. CONGRATULATIONS. I have also been wondering what the "End Game" goal is for the Dev team with the Emulator since raising the stakes with this new Beta Test phase of the Emulator. I wonder about the copyright issues and the bastards at EA who, I'm sure, would have no scruples about swooping in and closing the whole thing down if they wished. So, I tend to think that this Emulator will never go "Live", since that would put this game square on the EA radar and force a response.

Every time we boot up the Emulator, the legal window pops up and we have to push the "accept" button to get into the game. Number 16 of what we are agreeing to specifically forbids the creation of an Emulator game:

[b]"You will not create, use, play, or provide an emulator or other site where Earth & Beyond may be played and you will not post or distribute any utilities, emulators or other software related to Earth & Beyond without the express written consent of EA. You will not attempt to play Earth & Beyond on any service that is not controlled or authorized by EA"[/b]

By the way, Manasseh, in the Net7.com Forums there is a "Donate" button on the top bar that allows you to donate. The Devs stop accepting donations the minute the current month's expenses are met, otherwise there is a tax liability for any "profit" over and above operating costs. So, best time to donate is at the beginning of the month otherwise it is rejected.

[font=georgia,serif][color=#EE82EE][size=6]RIANA[/size][/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[b]"You will not create, use, play, or provide an emulator or other site where Earth & Beyond may be played and you will not post or distribute any utilities, emulators or other software related to Earth & Beyond without the express written consent of EA. You will not attempt to play Earth & Beyond on any service that is not controlled or authorized by EA"[/b]

[b]really? Well since they didn't ask me about their intent to shut[/b] down the game then i guess they can just bite my ass. At least, thats my opinion on it....

The legal window didn't say to scroll down, so I didn't. I only agreed to what I could see without scrolling.

I never scroll windows unless forced to do so.

I read somewhere (a blog by a laywer) that you may have more legal rights if you can honestly say you didn't read the legal agreement than if you did read it and violated it anyway.

Notice: [b][u]MAY[/u][/b] have more legal rights.

I would link to the blog but I don't remember where I saw it. :-(

Well common sense implies that the clickwrap agreement stopped meaning anything when sunset occurred. Part of the agreement was that EA provided a service or server and in return the player agreed to certain stuff. An agreement is only valid when both parties keep up their end. If the terms of an agreement are broken then they are subject to renegotiation between both parties and that didn't happen.

The clickwrap stopped being enforceable at sunset and it would be unfair if EA tried to apply it now.

Of course EA could drop their fat wallet on some lawyers table and tell the lawyers to close down an emulator. That has not happened yet and got to think it will not happen. What would EA gain from it? Unless they planned to return ENB which may be we would not mind.

NCSoft had an emulator for Tabula Rasa shutdown but the emulator just resurfaced again.

"U.S. Copyright laws permit making a "backup" copy of computer
programs for archival purposes. However, the right to make backup
copies of computer programs for archival purposes, as embodied in 17
U.S.C. Section 117(2), does not in any way authorize the owner of a
copy of a video or computer game to post or download a copy of that
game to or from the Internet."
[url="http://www.idsa.com/"]http://www.idsa.com/[/url]

• 2 weeks later...