Taking Builds To A New Level.

Something to think about for an "Expansion" to the game after...??
I have been looking at all the items that can Be equipted, manufactured, sold by Vendor or Looted That [u]Do Not [/u]have a buff attached to them. Some of them are not that bad.

IMO it really doesn't make any sense why Westwood would or anyone else would put them in the game when there are items that are even slightly more desirable.

Don't get me wrong I think theres a reason and a place for them, its just that I think they haven't been realized or utilized to their fullest potential. [u]Yet.[/u]
A few of these items are: [url="http://enbarsenal.com/item/view_item.php?id=1177&type=14"][color=#00ff00]PitBull's Jr and Sr[/color].[/url], [url="http://enbarsenal.com/item/view_item.php?&id=3245&type=7"][color=#00ff00]Callipus Reactors[/color][/url] , [url="http://enbarsenal.com/item/view_item.php?&id=3072&type=16"][color=#00ff00]Blowgun PL[/color][/url] , [url="http://enbarsenal.com/item/view_item.php?&id=2749&type=15"][color=#00ff00]Flaming DragonFire ML[/color][/url] .

While Looking at the items that can be manufactured, we also have Biological/Elemental [u]Loot Only Non-manufactured[/u] items with Single or Mulitiple Tech enhancement buffs for all the Techs (Reactor, Shield, Weapons and Devices).
A few of these items are: [url="http://enbarsenal.com/item/view_item.php?&id=5137&type=11"][color=#00ff00]Bunyip Pulsing Tusk[/color][/url] , [url="http://enbarsenal.com/item/view_item.php?&id=2263&type=11"][color=#00ff00]Contained Voltoi Essence[/color][/url] , [url="http://enbarsenal.com/item/view_item.php?id=2171&type=11"][color=#00ff00]The Titan's Heart[/color][/url] ,
[url="http://enbarsenal.com/item/view_item.php?id=2086&type=11"][color=#00ff00]Ward of Living Stone[/color][/url] , [url="http://enbarsenal.com/item/view_item.php?id=2087&type=11"][color=#00ff00]Power of the Elements[/color][/url] .

I'm suggesting that these No-Buff Buildable items are meant/should To be built with a "Wild Card" Buff item.
Our Manufacturing Terminals already has the space to insert the Wild Card Buff item. "Control Interface"

This I would think will accomplish a few things, Make a more unique and custom build(s), It will make those minor bosses that we have come to take for granted even more Desirable, It will put to use those buff items that are gathering dust to good use and new life, It may decrease the "Give Away" and help make a better economy.

I know I would build something with a Titan's Heart or Ward of Muck..

Only items that your character can build that [u]Do Not [/u]Have a Buff already attached to them can get a Wild Card Buff added.

To expand on this in the Very Distant future all The "aa" items and maybe the Prototypes could be used in some way.

Edit: The Drops should be even more Rare for the Buff items in the future.
  • Upvote 2

I like this idea as well. The Pitbull Sr.'s use as a L9 Plasma beam is that it's something before you can get something better, being able to add a random buff to it, would be nice and would spice the basic L9 plasma beam for all Jenquai, as well as many other items.

The wild cards? How will they be found? Perhaps they could be both in hulks, and in some mobs. One would need a wild card item of equal or greater level than the equipment being built. Also if you're using a wild card, you cannot use a terminal controller/override on the same build.

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1345237520' post='61890']
The wild cards? How will they be found? Perhaps they could be both in hulks, and in some mobs. One would need a wild card item of equal or greater level than the equipment being built. Also if you're using a wild card, you cannot use a terminal controller/override on the same build.
[/quote]

Terrell, I'm calling the Titan's Heart, Ward Of Muck and the others "Wild Cards" For lack of a better name.
Correct You won't be able to use a Terminal Controller/Override in addition.

I think it should be completely random, There will be time where you can put a Vibrant Barrier in the "Controller Interface" and Other times it won't Go. Some of the items with multiple Buffs both positive and negative buffs will also be random in the amount of the supplied/applied buffs, maybe one of the Buffs won't get applied at all to the New Build.
[color=#00ff00]You could loose the "Wild Card" Item all together !!![/color]

There has got to be a negative side to doing this.
We don't want someone taking an [url="http://enbarsenal.com/item/view_item.php?id=5139&type=11"][color=#00ff00]"Aegis of the Warder"[/color][/url] or something and thinking they're going to build Exactly what the Buffs say.
Not going to happen!
But hey this is all fantasy right now. Or is it :w00t:

The question now becomes is this another specilized skill for all characters or just another build Level or Just Completely Random with NO specialization? I'm leaning toward the Latter "No Specialization" Random.
Roll the dice Baby !

The Drop rate for these items has got to go Way way down any where from 2-5 % IMO.

Is there a lot of vendorable loot in the game? Yes, and it should stay that way. I really don't want to constantly have to re-evaluate ever piece of gear, every level, for every toon. That would be a nightmare and such functionality would lead me to never use it. Adding cool functionality that is generally never used seems like a waste to me. Nor do I think that 'random' loot should be used to generate these random buff as then you would have people farming items that are very, very, very good (all by themselves) and thus potentially preventing other players from getting these items while they level.....ever.

There is already functionality to use a terminal controller/override item when building something (though the devs haven't gotten this working yet). Why not just add a AA override device ("this device pulses with energy and appears to be able to connect to components, you have never seen technology like this") This would make the process very simple and....if the devs do want to complicate it they can add levels to the devices (so only the same level device can be used on the same level item) or even gear specific (though I don't really see the need for that). You could contain the potential of making some items very overpowered by limiting it to not be usable on unique items or 'Alien technology'.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1345326300' post='61921']
Why not just add a AA override device ("this device pulses with energy and appears to be able to connect to components, you have never seen technology like this") This would make the process very simple and....if the devs do want to complicate it they can add levels to the devices (so only the same level device can be used on the same level item) or even gear specific (though I don't really see the need for that). You could contain the potential of making some items very overpowered by limiting it to not be usable on unique items or 'Alien technology'.
[/quote]

The forums are a little Lethargic, lets kick it up a bit. Bumping some of the hot topics.

I like the idea of using the "aa" devices in this way.
The mining classes will be a demand to get these devices.
Having the CDEVs creation of new items would be expedited. Maybe I'm over simplifying.

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1345326300' post='61921']
Is there a lot of vendorable loot in the game? Yes, and it should stay that way. I really don't want to constantly have to re-evaluate ever piece of gear, every level, for every toon. That would be a nightmare and such functionality would lead me to never use it. Adding cool functionality that is generally never used seems like a waste to me. Nor do I think that 'random' loot should be used to generate these random buff as then you would have people farming items that are very, very, very good (all by themselves) and thus potentially preventing other players from getting these items while they level.....ever.

There is already functionality to use a terminal controller/override item when building something (though the devs haven't gotten this working yet). Why not just add a AA override device ("this device pulses with energy and appears to be able to connect to components, you have never seen technology like this") This would make the process very simple and....if the devs do want to complicate it they can add levels to the devices (so only the same level device can be used on the same level item) or even gear specific (though I don't really see the need for that). You could contain the potential of making some items very overpowered by limiting it to not be usable on unique items or 'Alien technology'.
[/quote]

I do agree that some things should be vendor food, much of that will be junk loot. Some of that will be things that are usable as equipment but not desirable, except in the higher levels where it's something to tide you over until you can get something better.

The second paragraph makes plenty of sense to me as well. Making them "wild card overrides" would make more sense if it's going to be done, compared to being able to just mix a device with some other piece of equipment. I agree on the issue of making them level based. Make it so any level "wild card override" can only be used for items of their same level or lower, with said overrides being rarer as level increases. Wild card overrides could be used on any manufacturable item, other than a device, as long as the item has no buffs. (Maybe allow items with one buff if one wants to be generous)

I do see one potential problem. Say I have a Pitbull Jr built, with such an override. Say I get the Scan buff I've always wanted on a Plasma beam, what happens when I reach CL50 and want to upgrade it to a Pitbull Sr? Would I need another wild card override? If so would I get the same buff with the upgrade, or something different, losing the Scan buff? Would it be such as the beam simply couldn't be upgraded?

I'd tend to favor the idea that modified items not be upgradable, so one should use those modifications wisely. For clarity's sake, one could use a wild card override while upgrading an unmodified Pitbull Jr to a Pitbull Sr, but a modded Pitt Jr could not be upgraded.

When said wc item is used in a build, one can get 1 positive buff, or 1 positive buff & one debuff. It would be random, and you won't know what you're going to get in advance.

This is not do-able with current code.

The wild card slot you refer to only adds a predetermained % to build quality chance.
It is not a slot for anything besides that.

This would require adding all news items, with seperate recipes for each.
It would not be random.

Its a great idea/theory, but I doubt it's going to happen.
One of the coders might have more input on the matter.

[quote name='Darkk' timestamp='1351861280' post='64953']
This is not do-able with current code.

The wild card slot you refer to only adds a predetermained % to build quality chance.
It is not a slot for anything besides that.

This would require adding all news items, with seperate recipes for each.
It would not be random.

Its a great idea/theory, but I doubt it's going to happen.
One of the coders might have more input on the matter.
[/quote]

Oh yes this is very much a fantasy
I imagine if at all this idea is very very far down the road.
Because the slot image is already on the client and the Code could be server side it seemed feasible.
EEeeK! The last thing I want is a Coder hating me (more). :)