Tractor beam is a bit slow

Is it just me or does the tractor beam seem too slow at the moment? I recall it being quite a bit quicker than it is in the current implimentation, and then faster again with the correct devices.

Anyone else have the same thought? I think it could be sped up by about 50%.

[quote name='Smallyoda' timestamp='1312290329' post='43894']
Is it just me or does the tractor beam seem too slow at the moment? I recall it being quite a bit quicker than it is in the current implimentation, and then faster again with the correct devices.

Anyone else have the same thought? I think it could be sped up by about 50%.
[/quote]
I also thought they were slow compared to live when I first got into the EMU, but I just assumed that was because I didn't have any devices boosting tractor beam speed... I have a couple of hours of low res video captures from live. I could try measuring tractorbeam speed in them. The hard part would be to figure out how much the boost to tractor beam speed was on my different characters back then...

[quote name='Knix' timestamp='1312290939' post='43896']
I also thought they were slow compared to live when I first got into the EMU, but I just assumed that was because I didn't have any devices boosting tractor beam speed... I have a couple of hours of low res video captures from live. I could try measuring tractorbeam speed in them. The hard part would be to figure out how much the boost to tractor beam speed was on my different characters back then...
[/quote]

Same here, with Explorers with devices the speed as well as distances with mining seem to be off. I almost remember being able to mine from almost 5k away and the tractor beam being faster with a higher prospect level.

Mining could never be done beyond 2.5K with Prospect 7. Tractor Beam range buffs had no effect on mining, tractor beam speed buffs made mining quicker, since the ores were tractored in faster. Sculptor, Miner, Golden Tooth, Veiled Oyoroi did not affect prospect range with their prospect buffs either, instead they reduce time and energy requirements for mining.

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1312322996' post='43909']
Mining could never be done beyond 2.5K with Prospect 7. Tractor Beam range buffs had no effect on mining, tractor beam speed buffs made mining quicker, since the ores were tractored in faster. Sculptor, Miner, Golden Tooth, Veiled Oyoroi did not affect prospect range with their prospect buffs either, instead they reduce time and energy requirements for mining.
[/quote]
That's true. I even remember suggesting adding a buff to boost mining range back in live, but it got into the game. I guess the devs either thought it was a bad idea, or they had more important things to do...

[quote name='Knix' timestamp='1312353479' post='43912']
That's true. I even remember suggesting adding a buff to boost mining range back in live, but it got into the game. I guess the devs either thought it was a bad idea, or they had more important things to do...
[/quote]

That would be nice when you really don't want to get close to that ore, cause something nasty is babysitting it.

I would think Pop Roids were the main reason they capped the distance at 2.5 in live.
As for it appearing slow?, I just created a PS and I too feel it might be, but I don't see a 50% reduction - maybe 10%-15% would be more fitting.

I actually like the 'slower' tractor speed. It means that the Harpy device becomes much more necessary....not just for explorers.......which were the only class that used it in live. The other downside to very fast 'tractoring' is more ability for a single player to clear an ore spawn by themselves. Until the Devs get all the ore fields, especially the higher level ones, back to where they were in live this could negatively impact miners in general.

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1312412379' post='43948']
I actually like the 'slower' tractor speed. It means that the Harpy device becomes much more necessary....not just for explorers.......which were the only class that used it in live. The other downside to very fast 'tractoring' is more ability for a single player to clear an ore spawn by themselves. Until the Devs get all the ore fields, especially the higher level ones, back to where they were in live this could negatively impact miners in general.
[/quote]

I would have to disagree. If you have two players in a field with slow tractor speed, and equalivent other skills and gear they get half each, if you speed up the tractor they both still get half each. Yes it means a solo player can clear a field and we used to be able to do that too.

It just removes a bit of the time sink currently in the mining.

The tractor beam used to be faster in live probably 50-75% faster, it takes so long to tractor an ore in that you dont bother starting to prospect the next item until the last ore is 90% of the way back to you or you drain your reactor waiting for the tractor beam to become available. Even with an increase tractor beam device it is still slower than live was :angry:

The tractor speed used to be faster in the emulator as well when I played it 6 or 7 months ago iirc.

[quote name='Smallyoda' timestamp='1312420106' post='43969']
I would have to disagree. If you have two players in a field with slow tractor speed, and equalivent other skills and gear they get half each, if you speed up the tractor they both still get half each. Yes it means a solo player can clear a field and we used to be able to do that too.

It just removes a bit of the time sink currently in the mining.

The tractor beam used to be faster in live probably 50-75% faster, it takes so long to tractor an ore in that you dont bother starting to prospect the next item until the last ore is 90% of the way back to you or you drain your reactor waiting for the tractor beam to become available. Even with an increase tractor beam device it is still slower than live was :angry:

The tractor speed used to be faster in the emulator as well when I played it 6 or 7 months ago iirc.
[/quote]

I concur with these posts. I had a new harpy made yesterday because of this very issue. And it was indeed slow even though I had the new harpy plugged in. Should be an easy fix though.

[quote name='Overtkill' timestamp='1312421234' post='43972']
I concur with these posts. I had a new harpy made yesterday because of this very issue. And it was indeed slow even though I had the new harpy plugged in. Should be an easy fix though.
[/quote]

Ya it will just be a changed variable.

[quote name='bitstorm' timestamp='1312408441' post='43928']
A 20% increase will make it closer to live. I can say tractoring something that is over 1k shouldn't take more than 5-7 seconds where as its taking 15 seconds right now.

Bitstorm

Epic Gamers Guild
[/quote]
20% seems like it would be fairly close, and that sounds like a small enough tweak to do for a test.