Economy

I have a idea to help with the economy and to get enough money to pay for the server and upgrades, to keep the game running. My idea is to do like the Japanese games online, such as perfectworld.com. We should have a special type money that you have to buy through earth and beyond emulator with real money. Eg: they sell Zen at ten dollars U.S. per 1000 Zen. You can only buy special items with Zen. Then this way the only way to get the uberloot is to either buy Zen (Special $$$) in game and people will can trade credits for, (Special $$$).
I know the programmers may have a hard time with this but it would be beneficial to both server and players, it would help to even out extra credits and a wipe may not be needed. :(

P.s. Just my thought, follow something that works. The game I was playing was http://boi.perfectworld.com/ Edited by badone
  • Downvote 2

[quote name='Maniac' timestamp='1302806263' post='39119']
Anyway I think the vault size is good enough for the players needs, unless you wanted to store every single ore type from L1-L9.
That defiantly would break the game economy, not to mention miners who are having trouble already which spurred this thread IMO.
[/quote]
I like mining, and I suffer from a bit of altitis (I have alts of every class, and 2 JE's so I can WH everyone). I currently use my main JE for storing level 4-8 ore (that's as far as he can prospect yet) and my second JE for level 1-3 ore. When I've leveled a bit more, I'll probably go 7-9 on my main JE, 4-6 on my TS and 1-3 on my second JE.

The biggest problem with the economy in the small player-base thus a lack of new customers. There are very few high level toons that still need equipment IMO. Stripping players of credits is a bad idea that will primarily hurt and discourage low and mid level toons. That will surely drive away more players having the oposite effect we're looking for. As far as some loot being overvalued, it's just another part of the balancing issue. The economy is not the biggest issue facing the Devs. Let them focus on game mechanics. The players will return and the economy will fix itself.

Tell the playerbase that there will not be another playerwipe and I bet they will start paying more attention to their credits in versus their credits out.

Also, add a vendor who will for credits, increase the quality on an item by 1%, therefore tah-da -> credit sink!

[quote name='badone' timestamp='1302820206' post='39134']
I have a idea to help with the economy and to get enough money to pay for the server and upgrades, to keep the game running. My idea is to do like the Japanese games online, such as perfectworld.com. We should have a special type money that you have to buy through earth and beyond emulator with real money. Eg: they sell Zen at ten dollars U.S. per 1000 Zen. You can only buy special items with Zen. Then this way the only way to get the uberloot is to either buy Zen (Special $$$) in game and people will can trade credits for, (Special $$$).
I know the programmers may have a hard time with this but it would be beneficial to both server and players, it would help to even out extra credits and a wipe may not be needed. :(

P.s. Just my thought, follow something that works. The game I was playing was http://boi.perfectworld.com/
[/quote]

. . . and then watch the EA legal team suddenly take a much more focused interest in the project.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='badone' timestamp='1302820206' post='39134']

P.s. Just my thought, follow something that works. The game I was playing was http://boi.perfectworld.com/
[/quote]
Sorry to burst your bubble but this is a major [b]Lawsuit[/b] waiting to happen.
If the Dev's were to do what you suggest then EA can target this project and sue the pants off the Dev's before you can say "Mississippi".

All the server problems and the Donation problems would be solved with one answer "Project Shut Down".

You may not know this but with any emulator project the Dev's do not own the game. They did not make the game or software that drives it, only the server code they designed. EA could if they wanted to come in and tear this project apart and make it so it never comes back out, Ever.
Correct me if im wrong but technically the EULA states no one is allowed to make a emulator with the intent of gaining profit from said project.

On a side note I think the EULA also states that no one is allowed to make a emulator period but since the game is abandon-ware its a technicality.

In closing there have been others that have had this idea, while alot have merit its just not feasible due to the risk of a Lawsuit. An example would be a WOW Emulator project (Dont remember the name) that got sued because they were making a profit on it by charging people for special skill, weapons, credits, extra... They got burned so bad that the company was folded and the owner was charged like 5 million dollars (Dont remember exact number might have been alot more than this).

[quote name='Yendor' timestamp='1302877980' post='39178']
Tell the playerbase that there will not be another playerwipe and I bet they will start paying more attention to their credits in versus their credits out.

Also, add a vendor who will for credits, increase the quality on an item by 1%, therefore tah-da -> credit sink!
[/quote]

Player wipes will be inevitable, hate to say it but this is only a stress test 4, however the dev's have said that they will try not to do a wipe if they can help it.
More than likely a wipe will probably happen in or shortly before Alpha-Beta-Live, so between 1 to 3 more wipes till we wont have to worry about it. Edited by Maniac

[quote name='Strayslayer' timestamp='1302812550' post='39125']
You should have told me in game. I typically have the opposite effect. I'm a natural born thread kuller.
[/quote]

You too? I have found myself to be a full fledged thread reaver.

[quote name='cpwings' timestamp='1302877614' post='39176']
The biggest problem with the economy in the small player-base thus a lack of new customers. There are very few high level toons that still need equipment IMO. [/quote]
I think this sums it up pretty well and I belive that this will be a continuing problem. With such a small player base it will be very hard to have a working economy, and to be honest is was kind of broken already in live.

To have a working economy I think that there has to be done some major, very unpopular, changes to building and looting. Unfortunateluy, no matter how you do it I fear that it will be the casual players who has to pay the price in the end.

Maybe we should start by discussing what it is that we actualy want out of the economy and set some [b]realistic[/b] goals?

//Basileus
  • Upvote 1