Fishbowl info

Cooper and what is currently known as "The Fishbowl" or "Beyond Tada-O Gate" or whatever it is. I don't know this one because while I was still playing, you could only do the Tada-O gate and a couple of others, the fishbowl hadn't happened yet.

If you're suggesting "Unknown Galaxy" that should be what appears on the Loading/Galaxy Map screen, I think.

Cooper and what is currently known as "The Fishbowl" or "Beyond Tada-O Gate" or whatever it is. I don't know this one because while I was still playing, you could only do the Tada-O gate and a couple of others, the fishbowl hadn't happened yet.

If you're suggesting "Unknown Galaxy" that should be what appears on the Loading/Galaxy Map screen, I think.

To get into where we are calling the FB now required a rod, reel, and bait (feather). This triggered the gate to open and suck in every player that was close. There was a cheap version that was triggered by killing Harvey. This would cause a flood of fish to pour out of the same gate. This I think is what is mostly going on by players actually entering the gate.

"The Fishbowl" is just the player name for "Unknown Galaxy" which is inside the Tada-O gate. This "cheap version" you spoke up probably has to do with the things i read about the Tada-O gate pulling people in once you defeated its last boss (Zethren Ti the Dark One). Course, that's only a guess.

Tada-O gate encounter existed previous to the Fishbowl itself, and many people playing when I did joked about the Ten-Gu coming from a giant fishbowl in another galaxy. I suspect that's how the name Fishbowl got started, but don't know.

Cooper is the sector containing the Tada-O Gate. The only gate the Unknown Galaxy contains is one that takes you BACK through the Tada-O gate and out into Cooper. Cooper is the connecting sector.

The Ten-gu has a strong hold over Cooper sector and fight aggressively any pilots that come to close. Occasionally they try to come through the gate with an even stronger force, indicated by the little Ten-gu Harvester, commonly called Harvey among the players. This was one of the Epic encounters in the game. It later evolved into an even bigger encounter when the players got the opportunity to travel and fight the Ten-gu in their homeworld (a fishbowl as it turn out). The players must defeat all the old adversaries known from the old epic (that was triggered when attacking Harvey) and several new ones (Kish-Nethresh, Nesshix The Hand with their minions respectively) and last the players were matched against the biggest fish in the game: Aren'Zael the Master and all his minions.

The "Fishbowl" raid was done in what the players detected as an "unknown galaxy", the Ten-gu Homeworld, which took the form of a gigantic bowl of water (or similar liquid). There was a clear surface where light came in and refracted in the waves of the water (or whatever liquid it was) which greatly improved the image of this alien world. However most of the players was too busy fighting for their life to enjoy the scenery.

"The Fishbowl" is just the player name for "Unknown Galaxy" which is inside the Tada-O gate. This "cheap version" you spoke up probably has to do with the things i read about the Tada-O gate pulling people in once you defeated its last boss (Zethren Ti the Dark One). Course, that's only a guess.

Tada-O gate encounter existed previous to the Fishbowl itself, and many people playing when I did joked about the Ten-Gu coming from a giant fishbowl in another galaxy. I suspect that's how the name Fishbowl got started, but don't know.

Cooper is the sector containing the Tada-O Gate. The only gate the Unknown Galaxy contains is one that takes you BACK through the Tada-O gate and out into Cooper. Cooper is the connecting sector.

Oh yes, before i forget, if we are done with it, there won't be a gating back to cooper.....best thing to do:

DON'T FORGET TO BRING A JE OR JD.....or a tow will be your only way to get out of the Fishbowl....if there are mobs left for sure.... :D

greets

Hexergirl

Oh yes, before i forget, if we are done with it, there won't be a gating back to cooper.....best thing to do:

DON'T FORGET TO BRING A JE OR JD.....or a tow will be your only way to get out of the Fishbowl....if there are mobs left for sure.... ;)

greets

Hexergirl

As I remember it there was a gate out. I remember falling asleep while in a group hunting in cooper, I think the group lead fell asleep as well. The next thing I remember was waking up and inside the full on FB raid :D If we are going to do this right and try to bring back the glory days of FBs past. I think we should get ALOT of player input as how they remember a FB. I noticed Kyp said something about pre full on FB raid. Is that what we are shooting for here?

Oh...the exit gate, if you took the gate out there was no getting back into the raid. If you towed same...you were done as well.

Edited by Mimir

For those of us that never made it to the FB in live, can somebody give a run-through of what it used to be like? From what I'm hearing, you didn't used to gate into the FB you were sucked into it, and then you had to battle through the boss fishies, in order, before you even got to the Master? And when you were done, there was no gate to get back out?

Raiding is completely new to me, only made it to the high 60's in live, I've been in the FB a few times, but as it is now, its not a raid, its just an area where its better to be in a group.

Fish bowl raid according to Mimir:

The parts needed were the rod reel and the bait. (See FishBowl.rtf )

The bait was the hardest to get as it was a drop only from the RD. The colorful parrot feather.

When the above were acquired a FB was announced for x time on x day, usually they were scheduled US time late evening – 10 – 11 pm Central time.

Players started to gather at the gate and start getting into teams.

A separate raid channel was set up for communication between the raid groups.

Guild comms, TS and Vent. Were also very valuable for individual teams

The player who had the feather was the raid lead. Usually that player’s team or designee was the official looters. There was ninja looting but it was rare.

There were waves of Fish, 4 as I remember each wave had many (can’t remember how many) Ten-gu.

After each wave there was a delay for looting. Unique non trade loot found was announced on the raid channel and randomed.

Then came the boss, with minions. As soon as the boss was dead the raid ended and minions left went poof (not sure on this part)

Mega great loot in the boss. The ammo comps etc was looted by the raid lead team. Unique items were randomed at the corpse.

The raid players would then meet at a station for the remainder of the loot to be divided and randomed off to the raid players.

There was strategy to doing these raids, it took cooperation and communication between the teams.

As I remember it there were sometimes 200+ players on a single raid, and it was laggy as hell but FUN.

Only a slight addition to what Mimir posted. The time between waves was short. They'd start off with lower level Ten-Gu (like Maws/Black Deaths) and work their way up to the bigger ones, until finally a boss would spawn. IIRC, the order was first waves of Ten-Gu leading up to the Ti bosses (Ximaz-Ti, Uthach-Ti, Zethren-Ti) followed by the FB only bosses (Kish, Nesshix, Aranzael). The time between spawns was dependent upon spawn time, not dead time. So if your raid's dps was weak, you'd quickly get overrun by minions, etc. Prior to a boss, there used to be a zone wide broadcast message as well, letting folks know a boss was coming. Once a boss was finished off, EA added a breather period before the next wave would start, I believe this was roughly 1 minute or so. This was your opportunity to jumpstart, hull patch, rebuff.

Also, all the good no-trade weapons from the later bosses had to be removed before the newer boss spawns as the Feedback buff on them would hurt folks a lot. So Smiter's Wrath, Fury of the Master, Glare of Destruction all had to be removed in order for warriors to NOT kill themselves from the feedback. (Which effectively capped a raid's dps.)

Once Aranzael was killed off, the zone would stop spawning and whatever was left simply needed to be cleaned up. Boss corpse(s) used to decay and pop in 5 mins, but EA eventually increased that timer to 30 mins to prevent problems. At that time, they also added the various loot controls that allowed the raid leader to prevent ninjas, etc.

Some history for folks...

Before the Fishbowl version of the raid, there used to be a zone wide raid in Cooper that was initiated by shooting the Tada-O gate. Once damage on the gate reached a certain point, then waves of mobs would spawn from the gate and impulse away from the gate, attacking any folks they encountered. The Ti bosses were the bosses available during this version of the raid, so at this time items like Fury of the Ten-Gu, Eye of the Dark One, Heart of the Dark One, Bulwark of the Reaver, Cube of Leech were very good. The Gate itself could only be attacked once a day, so there was some raid camping back in the day. Weapons such as Zets and Archos were highly sought after from builders but were hard to use not only due to the ammo comps, but also the rarity of level 9 ores. Aesirium, Balderium and Modredium were VERY highly desired.

If I recall correctly the point at which we entered the fishbowl wasn't quite at the gate, bit there was a guy named Old Booney, that you had to bring the stuff too, and the players within a certain radius of Old Booney would go into the fishbowl. That way you could do your final preperations for your fishbowl raid, while others were raiding at the Tada-O gate. The Raid wide messages that Fuulish mentions were from Old Booney. I played in several fishbowls as a JE and as a JW, but not as any of the other classes, so I can only give perspective from those classes.

JE: As a JE your job is to chim/coma the mobs and JS fallen comrades, You should not apply E-shield unless you use L3 or lower, as L5+ causes feedback. You want to let the warriors pull aggro, since most of the mobs there can kill you VERY quickly. When I played as a JE I would also take out valuable irreplacable (reward from non-repeatable mission & non manu) things like my Chili-Popper and my Loony's Special Gizmoblatsit, would also swap out my SS8 for a Trifid 8. Since as a JE you're not going to be shooting, it really doesn't matter much which weapons you take with you as long as they don't have any kind of damage feedback buffs. Make sure you bring a Chim 9 and a Coma 9, you'll help the warriors by reducing the mob's effective ranges, and by increasing the warriors' DPS with Plasma. You also need your Jumpstart skill maxed. You can also transfer energy to warriors if they need it, with the Phoenix 8 or 9. You will likely want to Coma a mob before you try and chim it, because the coma has more range than the chim, and makes it easier to get close without being detected. After about the 2nd wave the fishbowl bosses can see cloaked.

JW: Find a corner away from the fight, summon the TT to you, and watch group members' shields. If they take big chunks out of anyone whose not a PW summon them immediately. For PWs and to a lesser extent TWs check with them before the raid starts, for what level of damage they would like to be summoned at. Don't forget to summon your explorer if you see his shields dropping, he's much more fragile, but is useful to the raid, and his life should not be ignored. When you summon players, put a Psi Shield on them, and if they're not a warrior, apply repair equipment if they have any hull damage. Be on the lookout for fish coming towards you, if they get too close for comfort, freewarp to the other side of the fishbowl, and pull the TT at your destination. If you have Scan 7 let the your TT know that you're sharing scan with him. Had one get nervous when seeing fish that were further away than he was used to being able to see them.

When they introduced the activated raid (via the bait and such as listed by Mimir), they removed the ability to attack the Tada-O gate itself so there was no longer a zone-wide Cooper-based raid. You had to activate and enter the fishbowl to raid. This allowed normal folks to continue leveling and such in Cooper without disruption.

While there are Ten-gu in most of Cooper, the Tada-O gate raid isn't sector wide. The mobs for the Tada-O raid all spawn from the gate, unless someone is allowing them to roam the whole sector, there should be the normal mobs at their spawn points well away from the gate. Would be rather difficult to co-ordinate a raid across all of Cooper.

Correct, but what I meant was the fishies could keep flying if not engaged. I don't remember how far away they'd go before returning tho. I guess zone-wide is the wrong phrase here, but it was more than the immediate summon area of the activated gate if that makes sense.

Correct, but what I meant was the fishies could keep flying if not engaged. I don't remember how far away they'd go before returning tho. I guess zone-wide is the wrong phrase here, but it was more than the immediate summon area of the activated gate if that makes sense.

Oh okay, that I agree with you on. I guess I misunderstood you before.

Somewheres or another we have a screenshot that shows players being "sucked in" by a malfunction in that (always sparking and fritzing) Tada-O Gate after it has a major malfunction following the defeat of Zethren Ti. So This must have originally been a part of it. I assume that they probably added the pop-items later due to pressure from players because players wanted to be able to run that raid without repeating the Tada-O raid. (Course again, I wasn't round when the FB was actually implemented).

Somewheres or another we have a screenshot that shows players being "sucked in" by a malfunction in that (always sparking and fritzing) Tada-O Gate after it has a major malfunction following the defeat of Zethren Ti. So This must have originally been a part of it. I assume that they probably added the pop-items later due to pressure from players because players wanted to be able to run that raid without repeating the Tada-O raid. (Course again, I wasn't round when the FB was actually implemented).

It's just they had to bring in new and better items. And the tada-o raid was camped like hell and easy. And it was open to all, because everyone could go there.

There comes the fishbowl in. New items, a sector just for the raid and only accessable if you had the build item, and really really fun. :D

All Players around 10k(if i can remember right) were 'sucked in' after activation at booney.  Was the hell, a bunch of players then in such a short range.;))

And as far as i can remember, after fishbowl went in game, you had to shot harvey to activate the tada-o raid.

greets

Hexergirl

It looks to me that with just this little time this thread has been active there has been quite a lot of good information entered.

Possibly get another set of independent developers together to put together this very important part of the game as it was?

I'm sure many of the old timers would be more than happy to help put in details to get it back.

• 2 months later...

killing the bosses of each spawn/eave inside the unknown galaxy would make the remaining minions from that spawn/wave disappear

that's why we killed the minions first, bosses last (besides the fact that boss corpses would need to be looted and lottoed too)

timers on corpses inside the FB were always big.

M*A*S*H tactics was the most popular method of doing the FB. it worked great in orion (not sure if it was designed in that galaxy).

Edited by LPCA

killing the bosses of each spawn/eave inside the unknown galaxy would make the remaining minions from that spawn/wave disappear

that's why we killed the minions first, bosses last (besides the fact that boss corpses would need to be looted and lottoed too)

timers on corpses inside the FB were always big.

M*A*S*H tactics was the most popular method of doing the FB. it worked great in orion (not sure if it was designed in that galaxy).

MASH tactics worked great on Andromeda as well. Don't know who designed this strategy.