What launcher workaround did you use to get into EnB during this weekend's downtime?

Hi, there seem to have been nearly as many workarounds as people logged in over the weekend. So I thought it might be useful to compile a list of them for both postmortem and future reference. Hopefully, it will also help people reverse the process without just wiping the launcher and doing a from-scratch refresh. Feel free to quote this post and put your answers in.

Launcher version:

My symptoms:

My workaround.

Play issues noted:

Edited by wootage

I had set up a record to point to server in the past

play.enbdatabase.com

replace

play.net-7.org

in the launcher with the above, and that should get you connected :)

You will probably need Local cert checked though...

Didn't test as i was working when they systems were down...

Launcher version: 1.9.9

My symptoms:

The launcher launched, but the embedded webpage was blank, and when updating, a series of "update" windows would appear with Update, Skip and Cancel options. Hitting Update did nothing, hitting Skip would advance to the next window, but hitting Skip on the last window removed the update progress bar and the bottom "Play" button (showstopper, can't play without it). Hitting Cancel on any update window closed the launcher.

Regardless of how long I waited, the update bar would not advance as long as their was an update window open.

My workaround.

Found on the EnB Emulator Facebook page:

Advice by Scott Lawrence (thank you Scott!) to use the Hosts.bat file and add "127.0.0.1 localhost local.net-7.org", then run the launcher, wait for it to fail the update, and input the direct IP of 87.106.15.67 into the Server/Host field.

However, since my launcher wouldn't fail the update, just hung there with the modal windows, I was still stuck. Fortunately, per Jon Knecht in a comment on the same FB page, simply disconnecting Internet (which I could do with the wireless switch on my laptop) and then launching the launcher caused the Updates to fail instantly with an error message, but left the Play button on the launcher. Thank you Jon!

After that, using the direct IP worked and the game launched and played perfectly.

Play issues noted:

None, it was flawless.

Edited by wootage

I had set up a record to point to server in the past

play.enbdatabase.com

replace

play.net-7.org

in the launcher with the above, and that should get you connected :)

You will probably need Local cert checked though...

Didn't test as i was working when they systems were down...

I just tested it - it reads the server status fine and logs you right in with the standard launcher config. No local cert or addt'l entries in the Hosts file :)

Edited by wootage

Got this fix from a guildie:

Simply add the following entries to the end of the HOSTS file:

87.106.15.67 local.net-7.org

87.106.15.67 play.net-7.org

The launcher will spend a couple of minutes (timing out while) checking for updates, then it loads and plays just fine.

Please make sure you guys all undo your changes. We may be chaning servers in the next 1-3 months and that means the IP could change. We are also working to make sure we have a backup DNS server incase this happends again.

Thanks,

David

Please make sure you guys all undo your changes. We may be chaning servers in the next 1-3 months and that means the IP could change. We are also working to make sure we have a backup DNS server incase this happends again.

Thanks,

David

If there's a change in servers in the next few months, will the information from the current servers be transferred to the new ones, or will we have to start over? Also with the new servers, does this mean the offical entry into Alpha stage? (assuming we're not already there)

If there's a change in servers in the next few months, will the information from the current servers be transferred to the new ones, or will we have to start over? Also with the new servers, does this mean the offical entry into Alpha stage? (assuming we're not already there)

Yes, no starting over.

Not necessarily. We will be changing servers because it will be financially and technologically expedient and beneficial. We don't want to get rushed into alpha because of something arbitrary like a server change.

Yes, no starting over.

Not necessarily. We will be changing servers because it will be financially and technologically expedient and beneficial. We don't want to get rushed into alpha because of something arbitrary like a server change.

Thank you for your reply.