Maneuvering thrusters.....

Tredo

Maneuvering thrusters seem a bit over powered, like if you're using main thrust power and you want to move just slightly left or right, and you hit the A or D key, the ship jumps a huge amount, same with pitch up or down... maneuvering thrusts are suppose to be just gentle adjustments. Would be awesome of that could be slightly powered down some.

What you mean has to do with the maneuverability stat and yes, ships are perhaps too agile.

Suprisingly there is a buff that increases maneuverability, but with how agile the ships are already - the buff is useless.

The devs may have given all ships the same maneuverability which could be how it was in live - I'm not sure.

But I could imagine certain ships having different handling capabilities.

A PW could handle like a tank, JT like an 18 wheeler, TW like a fighter plane etc etc.

it is supposed to vary based on ship mass. We technically have a chart for it somewhere. I will see if I can find it.

It's in the Janus docs. Mass, probably affects speed & acceleration, as well as how fast you can move on the same amount of thrust. In terms of mass the classes are:

Terran Scout < Terran Tradesman = Jenquai Explorer < Terran Enforcer = Jenquai Seeker = Progen Sentinel < Jenquai Defender = Progen Privateer < Progen Warrior

Edit: Sentinel, Enforcer, and Seeker are equal in mass.

Maneuverability isn't consistent in the docs with mass as far as the classes are concerned. If I understand the docs correctly, and higher numbers mean greater maneuverability, then in terms of maneuverability (turn rate) the classes are (at max rank).

Progen Warrior > Progen Privateer = Jenquai Defender = Terran Enforcer > Terran Tradesman = Progen Sentinel = Jenquai Seeker > Terran Scout = Jenquai Explorer. (Yeah I think it's a bit weird too)

I know we have some science geeks that play this game, so correct me if I'm wrong, but in zero gravity, should mass make a difference in how quickly an object moves when thrust is initiated?

Mass is determined by measuring the inertia of an object. That is: "its resistance to an effort made to change its state of motion." So in other words, without going into a lot of detail, yes. :D

The more massive an object is, the more thrust is needed to change its direction.

F = d/dt(mv)

Zero G just means we don't have to deal with pesky things like friction.

One thing to keep in mind though... Playing a game using zero-g physics in a vacuum would be neigh unplayable especially with the limited controls we have through the client. It would appear EnB uses something similar to neutral buoyancy and underwater physics. It's not ultra-realistic but it gets the job done. You get the feeling of floating in space without the uncontrollable movement and you do eventually come to a stop if you shut the engines off.

• 2 weeks later...

EnB most resembles motion in a liquid like syrup.

Ironically, in the Fishbowl, the physics are perfect :P

Zero-G doesn't exit. You always have some gravitational affects. What you see in astronaut videos is free fall. That being said, deep in space the force of gravity is greatly diminished.

Vendetta Online has relatively good "zero-g" physics

EnB most resembles motion in a liquid like syrup.

Ironically, in the Fishbowl, the physics are perfect :P

Zero-G doesn't exit. You always have some gravitational affects. What you see in astronaut videos is free fall. That being said, deep in space the force of gravity is greatly diminished.

Vendetta Online has relatively good "zero-g" physics

Indeed. EnB has translational motion drag like you're in syrup, but of course you turn like you're in air and weigh less than a pencil. :P

• 2 weeks later...

In space, your motion or apparent lack thereof is always relative to something else: an astronaut space-walking outside the Shuttle might appear motionless at "full stop" relative to the Shuttle, but he is still moving in orbit with the shuttle over the Earth at some 25,000 miles per hour, which is in motion around the Solar Barycentre (not the middle of the sun, but a point somewhat outside the photosphere but not quite Mercurial orbit) ... and this whole mess of planets and comets and asteroids we call a solar system is in a gravitic system of movement within our local cluster of stars, which orbits a galactic barycentre every several hundred million years.

In other words, even though it seems like we are sitting still at our computers, we are really just going around in circles... ;)