Packet Optimization setting

Hi all,

next time you start your Net7 launcher you should get a launcher & net7proxy. If you look on the launcher next to the drop down menu where you select the server you should notice a new 'Packet Optimiztion' check box. If your ISP supports the more modern large UDP packet size, which most ISP's do, this will give you faster login and vendor-load times. It also reduces the load on the server slightly, and might make your login more reliable (fewer packets so fewer chances to drop one).

Checking this box is exactly the same as issuing a /packetopt ON command in-game, only you get the increased speed on your first login, and you don't need to keep putting that switch through.

hope this helps,

TB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

does packet opt require a more updated os or network using ipv6? I am thinking couldnt that be a reason to get drops using it if you are on ipv4?

Packet optimization i believe is for people who's ISP allow the maximum packet size of 1500(???) (Tien correct me if I'm wrong)

Not sure why it makes the connection more stable.... it just should

Click here for info on how to find you max MTU.

If you get a result of 1472 - then you should use packet opt setting :)

Packet optimization i believe is for people who's ISP allow the maximum packet size of 1500(???) (Tien correct me if I'm wrong)

Not sure why it makes the connection more stable.... it just shouldâ„¢

Click here for info on how to find you max MTU.

If you get a result of 1472 - then you should use packet opt settin;):)

How critical is the MTU size and MTU fragmentation?

I used a tool to discover the maximum non-fragmented MTU along the route between me and the play.net-7.org server and noted that 1400 was the limit including IP/ICMP headers. Despite that, uptil now I've been using the packet optimization setting by default and everything seems to work much better than without using the option.

How critical is the MTU size and MTU fragmentation?

I used a tool to discover the maximum non-fragmented MTU along the route between me and the play.net-7.org server and noted that 1400 was the limit including IP/ICMP headers. Despite that, uptil now I've been using the packet optimization setting by default and everything seems to work much better than without using the option.

oo ... I thought it was 1472 like slayer posted.

Does anyone know if there's a way I can detect the size limit?

I think the reason it works a lot better with packet optimisation is that during login there are several large packets that need to be split up - if you're splitting at 1400 that's half as many splits as 500, which would make logins a lot more reliable.

Does anyone know if there's a way I can detect the size limit?

Well, I used a tool from a site that I think was linked to above in one of the replies.

http://www.speedguid...http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

For reference, the original link is below - that page contains a link to the downloads area that contains the above tool and there is a description of the tool as well. The original link/page describes a way to manually use the ping command to determine what MTU is without fragmentation. The tool does the same thing but it is automatic.

http://www.speedguid...http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=156

Would dearly like to be able to make devices again with my TT and hope this somehow helps.

;)

That is the maximum a connection can support, but an ISP may use a lower MTU.

Also, I've recently discovered that Windows 7 and Vista no longer use dynamic MTU sizes, they are hard set to 1500.

it can be changed using a command line

1. netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection 1" mtu=1300 store=persistent

The output should be like this:

2. netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection 1" mtu=1300 store=persistent

Hence, if you like to change MTU of “Wireless Network Connection 1″, you should run command:

3. netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection 1" mtu=1300 store=persistent

Now im not at home with my Windows 7 laptop, so im unable to test this fully, I'm pretty sure my syntax is correct.

So once you have discovered your max MTU you should set you router/PC to match.

This will provide a much more stable connection (You can thank Orange/Wanadoo broadband for this, as i've been working on my gf's connection and have just fitted a wireless router that wasn't very stable)

Well, it looked to me like routers in the One & One network were limited to 1400 along my path to the play server -- the ones that replied to ICMP anyway. If the emulator server UDP code sends packets exceeding this they'll be fragmented anyway, or I'd assume so. My ISP supports 1500 whatever that means but the weakest link is the weakest link.

Edit: Actually, what I think I'm seeing about One & One nodes may actually be something else but someone else having a look as well would be great.

Edited by Lot

Guest Nophretete

That is the maximum a connection can support, but an ISP may use a lower MTU.

Also, I've recently discovered that Windows 7 and Vista no longer use dynamic MTU sizes, they are hard set to 1500.

it can be changed using a command line

1. netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection 1" mtu=1300 store=persistent

The output should be like this:

2. netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection 1" mtu=1300 store=persistent

Hence, if you like to change MTU of “Wireless Network Connection 1″, you should run command:

3. netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection 1" mtu=1300 store=persistent

Now im not at home with my Windows 7 laptop, so im unable to test this fully, I'm pretty sure my syntax is correct.

So once you have discovered your max MTU you should set you router/PC to match.

This will provide a much more stable connection (You can thank Orange/Wanadoo broadband for this, as i've been working on my gf's connection and have just fitted a wireless router that wasn't very stable)

That's absolute correct. I have tried that some weeks ago at the time i had a bit problems with an online game.

But i have to say Win 7 does a good job with these settings so normally you don't have to change the settings.

Win7 has set MTU 1500 and my Router also and i have never problems with online games. The one i had some weeks ago

was just because my ISP had 3 days long a bit problems.

I have always packet optimization checked and so far no problems, if i don't count the disconnects i have sometimes.

(1 after some hours or so). But without this option i have also no problems at all.

What i see is, that since the last 2 proxy updates there is more lag after a while playing(mostly noticable if 2 or more hours playing).