3D meshes & skins for MOBs/Upgrading Graphics

while obviously a real low priority... then would it be possible to remodel each room and even enlarge it... put up walls (with open doorways) and even make half the hangar bay into something usable

I hadn't seen this before. Yes, that's entirely doable, it's hard to find modelers to do this for us though. sad.gif

I hadn't seen this before. Yes, that's entirely doable, it's hard to find modelers to do this for us though. sad.gif

I could probably do that, although my plate is over flowing right now!

It could be cool to have the game place a ship in the empty hanger, or just alter the hanger model to have one in there. :-)

I could probably do that, although my plate is over flowing right now!

It could be cool to have the game place a ship in the empty hanger, or just alter the hanger model to have one in there. :-)

Hi suri Im Verey patiant ! lol. I can wait for your plate to empty, as they say lol::)

I dabble quite a bit in 3D design with Blender, and am curious if the Emulator can support new meshes for any new mobs that may be created, or new/updated skins (such as bringing back the day-glo yellow/blue Ten-Gu Eviserators)

If so, what are the vertex/polygon counts that are supported, and what formats could be used?

I'd love to see (or play a part in making) new base assets, more capital ships (especially for Jenquai who have a lot of capital ships that look like oversized Fisher Price toys) and filling in the gaps for current mobs that have placeholders (like those EarthCorps cruisers that look like mushrooms.... yuckkkk.)

The issue with the Tengu skins is we havn't coded in the hue settings yet, they all use the same skin they just have varying hue values to make them different colours.

It is possable to make new models and add them to the game as well, I dabbled around with it a few years back. It could be cool to make some 'mod' packs with updated capital ship models, The models are in .w3d format, you can find several converters out there for converting .3ds files to .w3d.

I'd love to see (or play a part in making) new base assets, more capital ships (especially for Jenquai who have a lot of capital ships that look like oversized Fisher Price toys)

Those Jenquai capital ships make me think of the Scimitar from Star Trek: Nemesis.

The thought of something several kilometers in length with a cloaking device is gruesome.

:)

Do you use some kind of program to design the starbases or is it open notepad - place object at locattion x 33 y 56? ( well not quite like that but you'll get the point )

:(as CDell said it is very hard to find qualified people to volunteer for upgrading the graphics allot of people say they can but don't have much experience ! And most really good modelers are really busy in real-life. We Do have many posts out there for volunteers though. { Can you volunteer some time} ? And what is your experience with graphics and modeling ? Thanks Satanic

Well i'm not a pro, my knowledge is more hobby based. BeI have done some 3d map creation but that was a loong time ago. That's why i asked how you create starbases. I wouldn't mind taking a closer look to see if i can contribute in any way.

I do have experience with textures and simular. I have been creating own stuff for other games ( Potbs, Gta etc.. )

• 2 weeks later...

A whole graphical overhaul would be epic 0_0.

Is it possible to add more customization options to characters and ships?

I think the Jen capital ships would look better with a serious re texturing.

Edit: I mean look what modders have done in Freespace 2, some of the mods look good by todays standard on yesterdays engine.

Edited by Donau

Let's just say it's limited. We can import some new models and assets but animation doesn't import so it doesn' quite look right. For example, you can sometimes notice blinking lights on stations and such that make them look more real, those are animations and even were we to create something that looked really cool we couldn't import the animations. So yes and no, would be the appropriate answer.

Let's just say it's limited. We can import some new models and assets but animation doesn't import so it doesn' quite look right. For example, you can sometimes notice blinking lights on stations and such that make them look more real, those are animations and even were we to create something that looked really cool we couldn't import the animations. So yes and no, would be the appropriate answer.

So new organic mob meshes (typically needing animation, such as the Brains that flex their outer toruses, or Manes with bubbles shifting in relation to each other, or the Ten-Gu that swim with their fish-tails) would not happen.

Cap ships though could. :)

Do we know what the limits there are for vertices for import, or if W3D files support multiple levels of definition (LOD)?

So new organic mob meshes (typically needing animation, such as the Brains that flex their outer toruses, or Manes with bubbles shifting in relation to each other, or the Ten-Gu that swim with their fish-tails) would not happen.

Cap ships though could. :angry:

Do we know what the limits there are for vertices for import, or if W3D files support multiple levels of definition (LOD)?

Well, no, but there's one way to find out. :)

so i never got any real response. I guess i didnt qualify or something?

No one on staff probably saw your post, do you have experience in 3D modeling i.e. with 3DS Max? Do you have experience with texturing?

I'd really like to see what you're capable of; I've always wanted to see what we could do with the EnB client in the way of new graphical resources. Is there any of your work that you could show us?

I'll have to dig around on my linux partition when I get home - haven't done much with starship type designs, mind you.

That, or I can play around in Blender tonight and come up with some low-polygon meshes (at least as an educated guess to the polygons typical of capital ship/starbased sized objects I see in game)

No one on staff probably saw your post, do you have experience in 3D modeling i.e. with 3DS Max? Do you have experience with texturing?

Well, i have some experience in 3dmodeling when it comes to create maps for fps-games but that was a couple of years ago. What do you mean by texturing? Creating textures from scratch or put them on a object? I have some experience in both.

As i said. It been a while sence i did stuff like that and i wouldnt mind taking a closer look to see if i can contribute in some way.

Well, i have some experience in 3dmodeling when it comes to create maps for fps-games but that was a couple of years ago. What do you mean by texturing? Creating textures from scratch or put them on a object? I have some experience in both.

As i said. It been a while sence i did stuff like that and i wouldnt mind taking a closer look to see if i can contribute in some way.

Send CDEL a PM , so he gets it.

Alk