Reporting exploits

Reporting exploits is something we all signed on to do when we were allowed to participate in this game. We are, in essence, problem-solvers in terms of discovering things that need to either be redefined as to their functions or fixed because they’re just plain broken.

There’s a device out there that gave unlimited reactor power when overdeployed. Mining was a breeze. A level 5 reactor with level 5 prospect was no impediment to level 9 ores. I mentioned (through Twitcher) it in general chat, was questioned by a GM, and asked to drop a ticket on the issue. Then I read this PM that said, “thanks for spilling the beans.”

Spilling the beans?

How many people knew about this device and said nothing? Just exactly why are we here?

The endless reactor syndrome was fixed shortly after I dropped the ticket, but those of you who might be upset about the fix will be happy to know you still don’t have to have any shield from which to transfer power to your reactor. Shield or no, your reactor will still fill up although the device is meant to draw from one to the other.

Reporting exploits is perfecting the game. We are all part of that, so let’s engage in that process. We’ll only make it better for everybody instead of the select few who know “ the secrets.”

• Upvote 3

using exploits to gain an advantage in a game that is in early beta (alpha?) stage and has wipes each now and then...

how idiotic is that?

seriously, if we want to play a copy of official EnB how it was back then but better we HAVE to report all this. i hope the playerbase will finaly show some kind of unity as literaly we should been bonded by our targed - which is to play a great game and have fun.

why adult, mature(?) people would act and do otherwise is beyond me...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You know it's players like whoever that was that PM'd Toreava that gives the E&B community a bad feeling. In Live this was the best game because of the community. All exploits are supposed to be reported, as well as all bugs, misspellings and any thing else that does makes the game anything less than what it was in Live.

Toreava, I for one applaud you for reporting that exploit and apologize that you met someone like that. We, as a community, need to find these exploits and the people using them intentionally and make them feel uncomfortable, instead of them making the ones that are trying to help the game feel uncomfortable.

Sounds like you all have the right idea.

And I know Toreava, I know this bug was reported as soon as it was discovered.

I know this cause he/she (female character,you never know) is bringing stuff to my attention quite often.

Just for general information, I am on Teamspeak as long as I'm at my desktop.

For reporting its alot quicker to speak than type ( I'm a hopeless typer) so even if you don't want to use all the time its a very handy tool.

If you don't have a mic even better (hahaha) you type I'll talk , done this a few times . Works just as well.

If I'm forced to type forgive my slowness and lack of spellcheck in EnB chat.

Even if you don't see bugs gone straight away quite often their sorted in the next patch. It only takes a second to check.

All the Best

Alkemmi

yes, thanks guys for reporting these, pretty much most people I know who've found exploits have told me or GM etc about them so cheers for these and keep them coming - especially during the first couple of years we were just trying to get stuff working, rather than thinking about plugging exploits.

if I find an exploit, since this is only beta... and we will be wiped again anyway... I like to one make sure it is repeatable before I waste a devs time and two in the process, push it too the max... we are testers so levels and credits have no value and anyone that thinks they do are players and not testers...

my ultimate goal would be to find an exploit that crashes the server (not that I want to see the server crash mind you and I if I had knowledge that performing a certain act would definitely crash the server I would not do it)... all programs have minor bugs... the goal imho is to find the dangerous bugs and resolve them before you go live...

keep in mind that beta can have anywhere from a couple to maybe a few hundred testers... but when you go live the user base can easily grow to the 10's of thousands of dumb as a brick end-users... so while minor bugs are an inconveinece... the devastating effect of dangerous bugs grows expontentially...

sidenote: i wonder what cheating/hacking protection the server/game has. especialy against PE, but not only. Memory editing is quite common too.

i would go for it and do some testing but i dont want to get myself accidently banned lol

I made sure this exploit was as repeatable as hell. Once I found it, I checked out all aspects of the device in terms of what it did, and what it was supposed to do. Puzzles, I love them - these kinds anyway....

Like I said -- one aspect of the exploit was fixed while I watched the screen. The endless reactor disappeared right from under me and my reactor bar filled with depletable power. But the empty shield was still able to transfer power to my reactor, so a-mining I went.

I know this will be gotten to eventually, but at least I know I did what I'm supposed to do.