TS vs JE

After playing a PS for a bit, a TS for a bit more and now a JE, I have to say I'm not sure about the fun factor of a TS. I've read all the posts here through and I think you're all concentrating on how the class "works". But this is a game, so I think the central question here is - what about the class is fun to play?

I don't remember a single feature I can point to and say "This is what makes TS's FUN!". JEs get to be all sneaky and ninja mine, and that makes for a unique prospecting experience for those who like that. For combat they also get to WH groups around, leech shields, TP stuff and JS downed group members, and that's a neat (and demanding) combat support role. PS's get to beat up what's between them and their roid, and that's another unique crafting style - you don't see that much in games. For combat, they add considerable DPS, JS group members, and both lock down enemies and fear them, which are both decision-making roles in the fight.

The TS gets ... ? They can mine and sell more for more money, ok, but - what do they do that's fun? Looks like they can hack and shoot mechanicals while prospecting, but they will likely end up kiting, and they will have to kite organics. Kiting is actually bad where you can aggro stuff, so I dunno how that even works. For combat groups, they shoot missiles for added DPS, that's good, they get hack, that's good (but TE does both better, and there's a lot of them) and they also resurrect you when you die, but in better shape than the other classes.

Ok, valuable stuff, but... what about them is as much fun to play as either of the other Explorer classes in the same situations? And in combat situations, a TT is much more valuable for shield recharge alone and has missiles too (if you can pry one away from the manufacturing console that is), a TE just whomps up on all the things a TS can do in combat, so why would you bring a TS to a combat group except as a filler?

I just dunno. I'm obviously not an expert on the game, but that also means I have an outsider's perspective. I really don't care about the minutia of gameplay nor the uber-1337 tactics of the hardcore. I just care that when I play, there's something about the char that makes it engaging and interesting in a way all its own. I just don't see what that is about the TS at this time :\

And after thinking about it for awhile, I don't even have any suggestions. There really isn't a middle ground between ninja and tank when you're soloing (and a lot of prospecting is done solo). And in groups, they're like - meh. What could they do to affect the fight in a unique way? All I see is hacking atm and the TE owns that too.

So, I dunno. Thanks for reading, and I'll leave it up to the experts from here on.

The thing about sneaky mine is really moot as you can't mine while stealthed and most the roids are close enough together that stealthing between them isn't worth the energy. In combat JE's were really treated as portable batteries for the warriors. Scouts do give thrust speed buff and with the same DPS as the TT but able to use the animal skin line of devices for buffs. Scouts also have the largest variance of damage available with explosive, emp, plasma, chem as well as the most choices for equipment.

But yes it all comes down to play style and I have found I like shooting things from a distance. I've taken a PS to 150 on live as well as a TE. Putzed with everything else besides the Seeker and found I like missiles best.

Stealth mining can be as simple as keeping your sig low, and trying to stay outside detection range, while mining. A Solar Sail engine, and whatever sig reduction buffs you can get along with paying attention to what mobs are around and where they are.

Worm hole only did damage to trade goods so they couldn't cheat and do runs faster then a TT could and get full credit. When you became died there was a chance to damage everything in your cargo and a chance to lose ores. I remember this discussion on the old ebportal boards.

With afterburn being a passive then it's really named wrong as it just now seems to be a mod to one's ship to give it better output constantly but the name really implies a burst of NOS. (yes I know rehashed the same thing I said earlier but differently)

Nullfactor field will allow us to use different devices, no need to carry a mono, stien/phoenix. We can change them out for better scan boost or deflects for those pesky popmobs.

As for which race is better at mining it should come down to 2 things, cargo size and sell/refine prices. Being that you are entering a market the Terran should come out ahead in the selling but JE could come out on the cargo aspect as they have no need for ammo. Carrying just 1 stack around in your launchers may not suffice. Right now you can't even compare reactor as my scout has equipped for mining lvl 6 harpy, sculptor, RR+, Steinguard's Embrace, Petit-Dhamler reactor and I'm pulling lvl 9 ores with ease. I can easily strip a mine field and come back for more. There just isn't any field big and safe enough for me to sit contently like I did in Inverness pulling 4-6 ores.

Afterburn will not be a passive, but I can't make it too incredibly powerful of a speed burst, the player base has already shown me that they can make the scout boogie even before I've got that skill in. ;)

Afterburn will not be a passive, but I can't make it too incredibly powerful of a speed burst, the player base has already shown me that they can make the scout boogie even before I've got that skill in. :)

Of course part of Afterburn will also be a raise in sig of, oh, 100% for 20 seconds each use? ;)

Hey, you can't hit that nitrous button without making some noise!