What to do with skill points?

Elo

What I want to do with my extra skill points...  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Once all my skills have been maxed out, I'd like to spend my extra skill points by:

• Selecting a single additional skill, from a predetermined list, and putting points into that until full.
    • Purchase a rare weapon, device, or other equipment.
    • I like things just the way they are, do nothing.
    • Buy an access badge for an endgame sector.

When we reach L150 and beyond and have finally maxed out all our character skills, what are we to do with the extra skill points that continue to accumulate?

I've set up an informal poll for all to answer that question.

Enjoy,

Paul

Eloje, Elojs, Elott

I'd like secret option E - assign the extra skill point to an alt that's OL150 but not maxed.

Edit: Actually I'd like to offer secret option F - purchase a non-raid drop item for mapping. For those folks that are collector's, this would give them an alternative means of recipe completion.

I think either 1 or 3.

The problem with some of these though is that it promotes botting to grind out more xp. If you could pimp out your char purely through XP grinding, people would be inclined to bot 24/7. =/

Maybe more hull points or soft stats would be neat. I.E. You can buy 50 more units of reactor capacity, 3 units of recharge, 50 units of hull damage, etc. That would probably require client modification though so I'm guessing that's out.

Btw, here is a fantastic solution to the problem: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Merit_Points

I think FFXI nailed this one on the head. It keeps people inclined to play once they hit the level cap.

I like most of the ideas proposed in this thread, but I think that the first choice in the poll could be a problem, unless there are quite a few restrictions on it. Or unless there are special skills made just for it. Some skills just have to stay exclusive to specific classes, or specific races. Non-Jenquai shouldn't be cloaking, or teleporting, non-Progen shouldn't be gravity linking people, and non Terrans shouldn't be able to use all 3 races' equipment. But I could see a JT earning Navigate after she maxes all her skills, and has 100 points in reserve, but she should not IMO get Critical Targeting or Missile Weapon.

Of the ideas listed Floss' idea of small buffs to items, is probably least problematic with making sure you don't make even the most advanced char totally independent. A JE getting 5% added to his base scan range, or a master builder, get a 5% bonus to quality, analyze, or dismantle (pick one). (Maybe even allow him to make a 205% item.

I also like the idea of being able to turn in say 100 skill points, and get a recipe disk, with a very useful item, but said item must be covered by your toon's build skills (No Jenquai shield builders please).

Do you realize how long it will take to fully max out every skill past 150 when you get 1 point per ding? It isn't as easy as live where you could by buddy codes and get 20 SP for 50mil credits.

Yeah, I know it will take a painfully long time, but if the Emulator is around and Live for a few years, eventually most players will max everything. Some classes will max everything sooner than others. If I recall correctly JW and PW require the most skill points to max everything, TW and PE least among the original classes, JE and TT in between. New classes are subject to change, so they're left out for now.

Another option would be to change *some* skills so that they can be leveled up ad infinitum, producing only increasingly marginal effects with each subsequent increase.

I.e. for a JE:

Make Fold Space go 10 units farther.

Increase the damage modifier for beams by another 1%.

Make the cloak skill last 0.1 seconds longer.

you mean after we get to around L275 what do we do with the extra skill points... well some people grind them up and sprinkle them on jenpie samwiches... but others still add them to wine to make a fortified skill point sherry... but in the end I guess its personal pref...

however without EA giving sp's away as part of a fundraiser... I am not sure how many people are gonna quickly get 125 levels past 150... I guess we could always do a pwipe :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I know with my JE and possibly my JD, I believe I had fully maxed everything on both characters in live.. If not completely, then it was very close to being so. Perhaps accrue them for special ship upgrades, like extra gun mounts and such :rolleyes: Or extra ship hold space or vault space...