Terran Scout - Missiles Vs Beams

Being fairly new to the EMU I wanted to know if there was any kind of consensus on the smart move for a Scout when it comes to weapon selection. Are Beams better because you can't make your own ammo as a Scout, or are missile weapons just plain stronger? I imagine with the Scout's speed that one could kite like a pro with the longer range on missiles, but not being able to make your own ammo seems like a killer.

Use Missiles on your Terran Scout. Each race gets 1 weapon to L9 and at least 1 to L8. For Terrans they get L9 MLs, L8 beams, and only the TW gets PLs. For Progen they get L9 Projectiles, L8 MLs & L8 Beams, for Jenquai they get L9 Beams, L8 PLs, and only the JW gets MLs but to L8.

Terrans' gear is generally designed on the idea of using fast engines, and MLs to fight from a distance.

The majority of gear you will be using, as a scout, will benefit more from MLs than beams (ML damage and range buffs, added thrust, warp, and maneuverability). No explorer class (Jen Explorer, Progen Sentinel, or Terran Scout) can make weapons/ammo but you can mine the ore for ammo (which can become beneficial at L9).

Something else to consider, once you max out all the skills you want to max, is that you may find it useful to use beams while mining. I knew a few PS that would swap PLs for beams to save cargo space for ore......but with high ML ammo stack size and a larger hold this may not be nearly as much of a benefit for a TS as for a PS.
  • Upvote 1