Skill Level Cap

Hi, i was just wondering about this little problem, people have been saying the skill lvl cap is capped at 10, so lvl 9 PL plus 3 skill lvls would equal skill lvl 10 instead of skill lvl 12.

Is there any possible way to explain further why this is the case?

Some have told me the client is to blame, but why would client prevent skill lvl from going past lvl 10, the skill lvl increase on items would be useless if you can't go past lvl 10.

Any clarification on this issue would be welcomed thank you.

AFAIK there's no cap, there is only a 'glass ceiling' from the best skill level/device combos.

The device operating levels are controlled from the server anyway. Think of the client as being like those old green screen terminals from yesteryear - it doesn't do much processing, only interpreting what the server is telling it.

From the client GUI standpoint it seems reasonable to me that it was designed to handle a max of 9 skill levels.

I don't think we can change that (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but I think we could make each level worth say twice what it is now. So your first level would stay at the current level one and the 9th level would be level 17.

Ummm, level 17 weapons and combat level 122 mobs...

That's a lot of equipment that would have to be created to fill those new levels not to mention new mobs, sectors, ores, components, missions, etc.

Ok that would make sense, i hope you guys could change skill lvl where it would double because if you guys want to expand the game its going to come down to that. The content will need to be added without changing the client, in other words content will expand while client does not.

The thing i'm talking about though is the skill lvl buffs on items increasing the overall skill lvl, i thought there was a cap on buffs increasing the overall skill lvl.

For example, lets say you have Projectile weapon level 9, you have a device that increases weapon skill by 3.50 skill lvls, some have told me it would only go to level 10. So instead, from what i'm reading it appears that you could reach projectile weapon lvl 15 with 2 different buffs that increase this skill. The problem i'm noticing though is that people are having trouble shooting lvl 66 mobs, having Projectile weapon lvl 15 should let you be able to hit those mobs pretty easy without having a lot of misses. Edited by Darkdronen

[quote name='Darkdronen' timestamp='1331681580' post='55485']
So in essence can you give an example of a glass ceiling? So theoretically you can go past skill level 10?
[/quote]

I'm not the best placed to answer that. You need to ask in game for the best items to augment the skills. Then you can work out the limits by looking at the device description and adding the value.

EG say you have prospect lvl 7, and a top level sculptor with a boost of 4.5 (I don't know the actual value) then you can get the skill level up to 11.5. Let's say the Sculptor is the best prospect boost device and 4.5 is what you'd get from a 200% level 9 build. This creates a prospect skill 'glass ceiling' of 11.5.

Does this make sense?

NB please don't go correcting values, this is just "for example" to explain a point.

cheers,

TB

There is definately a hardcap, at least for certain skills.
Recharge shields at max level "heals" for 5760 per skill level. With maxed skill and a CFB (adding 4.96 levels) it still only comes out at 57600 per activation, i.e. capped at 10 levels (instead of the 11.96 levels it should give).

Dark, I am not 100% sure about how those two boosts interact, I *think* they are cumulative so yes the glass ceiling for the projectile skill may well be a bit higher because of combining two item effects. I would have to check.

Totte, I don't think that skill has had the item effect wired up yet. We've got a new guy who's going to be checking all those out. Somewhere there is a thread where we are asking for devices that aren't working correctly - this would be one of them.

I think that the Recharge Shields buff does work, because my JT gets more shield points from the skill with her Glorious Kimono shield than she does without it. What she gets is comparable to what Totte mentions for his PT. Not sure if that number is what she'd get for L10, since the amount of recharge per level may be different for effective levels beyond L7 than L7 actually is..

I just had a look at the source for Recharge Shields - see this:

[font="Consolas"][size="2"][font="Consolas"][size="2"]ARechargeShields::CalculateShieldCharge ( [/size][/font][/size][/font][font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"][font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"][font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"]float[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font="Consolas"][size="2"][font="Consolas"][size="2"] SkillLevel, [/size][/font][/size][/font][font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"][font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"][font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"]long[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font="Consolas"][size="2"][font="Consolas"][size="2"] SkillRank )[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font="Consolas"][size="2"][font="Consolas"][size="2"]{[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font="Consolas"][size="2"][font="Consolas"][size="2"] CMob *p = GetPointerToCommon();[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"][font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"][font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"] float[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][font="Consolas"][size="2"][font="Consolas"][size="2"] ChargeAmount;[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#008000"][font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#008000"][font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#008000"] //TO-DO: Write in code for buffs to shield charge ammount per lvl &[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]
[font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#008000"][font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#008000"][font="Consolas"][size="2"][color="#008000"] // to overall ammount charged. If needed.[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]

I think that pretty much answers the question. It's an extra line or two of code to add here to implement the item buffs. I'll leave it for the new dev so he can get the hang of things.

cheers,

TB

All skills with testable effects and working equipment buffs are currently capped at L10:
Navigate
Shield Recharge
Hull Patch
Gravity Link
Rally
Combat Trance
Summon
Environment Shield
Prospect
Repulsor Field
Shield Inversion
All effects that scale do so proportionately up to L10, regardless of how high they would be. Most can reach SL11.5, Gravity Link can reach SL12+, but effects only scale up to exactly L10.0.

Weapon skill level buffs only add to accuracy, so unable to test whether buff actually works. However, against a CL66 the difference in Combat Level may render it irrelevant anyway.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1331781077' post='55534']
I just had a look at the source for Recharge Shields - see this:

[font=Consolas][size=2]ARechargeShields::CalculateShieldCharge ( [/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]float[/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2] SkillLevel, [/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff]long[/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2] SkillRank )[/size][/font]
[font=Consolas][size=2]{[/size][/font]
[font=Consolas][size=2] CMob *p = GetPointerToCommon();[/size][/font]
[font=Consolas][size=2][color=#0000ff] float[/color][/size][/font][font=Consolas][size=2] ChargeAmount;[/size][/font]
[font=Consolas][size=2][color=#008000] //TO-DO: Write in code for buffs to shield charge ammount per lvl &[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Consolas][size=2][color=#008000] // to overall ammount charged. If needed.[/color][/size][/font]

I think that pretty much answers the question. It's an extra line or two of code to add here to implement the item buffs. I'll leave it for the new dev so he can get the hang of things.

cheers,

TB
[/quote]

Recharge Shields Skill equipment buffs already work, I would guess it alters the "float SkillLevel" directly.

[quote name='will' timestamp='1331781413' post='55536']
Recharge Shields Skill equipment buffs already work, I would guess it alters the "float SkillLevel" directly.
[/quote]

yes but it won't go above 7. We want ours to go up to 11 :)

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1331788374' post='55537']
yes but it won't go above 7. We want ours to go up to 11 :)
[/quote]

Cool, how much shield would the equivalent of L11 Recharge Shields put back to the person it's cast upon? Also will it be possible for all L7 skills to be buffed that high?