But What Does It Mean?!

Simply put when attacking a target I see

30(-10) when hitting the shields (Not sure of the damage, IE number subtracted from the shields value)
0(-40) when hitting the hull (results in -40 from hull value)

I know how to read the colors of the damage, but what about the numbers themselves?

x(y)

x = Amount adjusted by Hull Damage Control + Final Damage dealt to shield
(y) = ( Amount adjusted by Resists - Amount absorbed by Psionic Shield - Final damage dealt to Hull )

If your hitting just the shield, the first number is the total damage, the (#) is the amount it was adjusted.
If your hitting the hull, there's no easy way to know exactly how much your dealing to a mob other than watching their hull value.

Nope.

1st hit, which took shields down to 50% and did no hull damage reads 38(-9)

Followed by
25(-23)
0(-48)
0(-96) CRITICAL
*BOOM*

If the 2nd number is hull damage the first hit should have read 38(0) or, if the -9 was subtracted from the 38, then 47(0).

Never mind the aspect of 0(-96) which would seem to be NEGATIVE damage.

Aside - was this how it was in Live? And if so, why? Edited by Ted Thompson

Your base damage was 48, though they may not add up exactly due to rounding, the last is double for the critical hit.
38(-9) : You dealt 38 damage to the shields, resists reduced it by 9(from 48).
25(-23) : 25 damage dealt to the shield(thats all the shield that was left), resists reduced it by 9(from 48), and the remaining damage was dealt to hull(13 or 14, however it was rounded).
0(-48) : 0 damage dealt to shield, 9 absorbed by resists, 38 dealt to hull.
0(-96) : 0 damage dealt to shield, 19 absorbed by resists, 77 dealt to hull.
[quote name='will' timestamp='1328172669' post='52903']
(y) = ( Amount adjusted by Resists [b]-[/b] Amount absorbed by Psionic Shield [b]-[/b] Final damage dealt to Hull )
[/quote]
The resist adjustment can be either positive or negative, and includes the innate bonus that plasma/chem have against shields/hull.
Psionic Shield damage and Hull damage are both subtracted, resulting in a negative display for any damage dealt to them.

I have no clue anymore how it was in Live, but that's how its working here.

[quote name='will' timestamp='1328221799' post='52928']
Your base damage was 48, though they may not add up exactly due to rounding, the last is double for the critical hit.
38(-9) : You dealt 38 damage to the shields, resists reduced it by 9(from 48).
25(-23) : 25 damage dealt to the shield(thats all the shield that was left), resists reduced it by 9(from 48), and the remaining damage was dealt to hull(13 or 14, however it was rounded).
0(-48) : 0 damage dealt to shield, 9 absorbed by resists, 38 dealt to hull.
0(-96) : 0 damage dealt to shield, 19 absorbed by resists, 77 dealt to hull.

The resist adjustment can be either positive or negative, and includes the innate bonus that plasma/chem have against shields/hull.
Psionic Shield damage and Hull damage are both subtracted, resulting in a negative display for any damage dealt to them.

I have no clue anymore how it was in Live, but that's how its working here.
[/quote]
That all looks right except for the hull stuff. My guess is that the code was written to display damage and didn't take hull into account. Assuming this is something we send the client, and not something the client figures out for itself based on the damage sent to the ship, it should be easy to have hull damage be shown here, which I assume is the intended behavior. I do believe it's supposed to be "damage_done(resistance_effect)" though, so we're at least mostly correct.

Ok, so how did you figure on 0(-96) : 0 damage dealt to shield, 19 absorbed by resists, 77 dealt to hull. - how can you tell "19 absorbed by resists" when there is only a single number...

And I agree, I think it's supposed to be DAMAGE DONE ( ADJUSTMENT ) where adjustment is positive for a target that has been weakened or it is negative when a target is resistant. That would make a hell of alot more sense....

[quote name='Ted Thompson' timestamp='1328421548' post='53093']
Ok, so how did you figure on 0(-96) : 0 damage dealt to shield, 19 absorbed by resists, 77 dealt to hull. - how can you tell "19 absorbed by resists" when there is only a single number...

And I agree, I think it's supposed to be DAMAGE DONE ( ADJUSTMENT ) where adjustment is positive for a target that has been weakened or it is negative when a target is resistant. That would make a hell of alot more sense....
[/quote]
I think he assumed that based on the fact that the damage dealt was always 38 and that the damage reduction due to resistance was 9 in all other cases. The critical hit would have dealt twice the damage absorbed by the hull (76.## rounded up to 77) with twice the resistance (18.## rounded up to 19), which all combines to be 96 damage absorbed.

That is how it works, it just isn't being calculated correctly for hull damage. If it were, it would have read { 38(-9), 38(-9), 38(-9), 77(-19) crit }, which I believe is how it's supposed to work.

Ryle's got it, at least with the first part at any rate, not sure about the bug:

Total Damage (damage resisted for whatever reason)

So you take the number on the left, subtract the number in parentheses and that's how much damage you just took numerically (or should be)