New Player Chat Channel

An idea to solve the problem:

Rather than rely on the couple of GMs we have to police the chats, so they lose time actually responding to in game help tickets...

Set up a chat mod/warden system (idea partially stolen from SWG)

If someone starts being a PITA, have a chat warden (whos only authority is to /mute the offenders) step in. They wouldnt have any GM tools, just that one ability. Last maybe 24 hours at a time, and would autoflag them for GM review if warranted.

Would solve so many problems, and you wouldnt need many tbh.

[quote name='Jarod' timestamp='1310786998' post='43313']
I can't locate this Kenia on the map - can you help me find it? Thanks.
[/quote]
[img]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/731/35179428.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/mlaimo/Jean-Luc-Picard-Full-of-win.jpg[/img]

^so fun of win? lol

Personally, I don't mind the mindless banter in NP chat from time to time, specially when no one is talking on any channels 4 in the morning. But I do agree it does get out of hand on a few occasions and had to turn off NP. Even through some heated discussion, if people still ask for help, I still find more than enough people including me who pause and help.

Also, Market place seems to get pretty "interesting".

And then there is the other problem...the answer to everything that needs a GM is always the same: Get on TS and tell the GM about it.

"Some" of us can't,won't or don't use TS. I'm in the CAN'T catagory for enviromental reasons on my end and security. If you want us to help run a game "neighborhood watch" then a procedure other than seek a GM through TS needs to be established.

Might I suggest a ESTABLISHED procedure posted as to how, what and when to screen it or post it or ticket it etc. That this same procedure have a "whistle blower" protection in it so a responding GM to ticket don't do the "dude..guess who ratted you out!?!" thing with his friends (opening up the whistle blower to harrassment or shunning). Barring this method maybe a warden system as posted above might be a route to go.

If a violation to CoC is percieved to be tolerated, then it only encourages more of the same bad behaviour. If you ignore the bum (yes I said bum not homeless) urinating or defecating on the sidewalk, then he/she not only gets to feeling its thier "right" to do so, they foster the same mentality in others.
  • Upvote 2

*Side note:
Live had private chat channels that required a code to be entered to get in, often they were used for auctioning off loot or organizing a raid. They also were used to have conversations that needed to be private (i.e. read off-color commentary) between several players that a 1 to 1 /r conversation would be to cumbersome for. Since a player would have to SPECIFICLY seek out to join this channel, and would need the code to do so, the normal "offensive content" rules could be slightly relaxed. No mommies or daddies could complain that Jr. had been exposed to something that was going to hurt their fragile little minds as it was PRIVATE and CODED, not open to general consumption.

I think GMs generally answer tickets primarily and just because you don't see them in-game they may still be monitoring chat. They have special tools we built to allow them to see chat without fully logging in.

Having said that, I should think that PMing it to the GMs would work better than "getting on TS" to upload it; however, if you won't get on TS for some reason other than you don't have a headset/mic or your PC won't run the app, then I don't see the problem. If you want to report it, he's provided a path. If you don't like it, you can post that in the public GM forum OR you can PM it to them, I don't imagine they'd mind either way. I think you guys have the ability to post attachments into PMs, but if you don't I'm sure we can come up with something.

From a development perspective, we don't have the time to monitor chat and make sure billy isn't saying dirty words to suzy, know what I mean? There are several GMs and they come on as much as they are able, but we cannot demand 24/7 support as they are not paid for their services, they do it simply for the love of the game.