Weapon Mount Positions

Was wondering if it was possible to edit my own weapon positions.
I know this is not what the original E&B was like but it bugs me that all the weapons seem to hover on the hull, or under the hull.
Example is the PW, All weapon mounts hover above the hull and simply for my tastes should be embedded in the hull instead of on top, it looks silly IMO.
I know this would be purely cosmetic and no one else would see but I really want to change them, plus the positions on the TT is just plain silly.....
Please Cdel or any other Dev can you tell me were this file is and whats it called?
Once im done I plan on doing screen shots and pasting the file here on the forums.

Something tells me the weapon mounts are built into the ship models themselves. I agree that it would be awesome if we could manually position them ourselves (I also dislike the TT weapon positions), but I suspect it's not something that can be customized in game.

Having said that.. Prove me wrong, please! :(

yep they can be moved. At the moment they are hard coded into the server, but there's no reason why they can't be editable - eventually.

I know - it would be neat esp on the JE to have them mounted on the wings when you only have 2 weapons.

What would be neat was if you could do this from net-7.org, which would be quite easy - a lot easier than the signatures that Slayer set up a while back. I'll have a word with him, maybe you would be given your weapon slots, a model of the ship with all possible slots and you assign them.

It'd take a bit of work to set up all the models but it would be a neat little toy.

The other thing could be an NPC who asks how you want to arrange your weapons on the hull.

Eg

'where would you like your primary weapon slot to go?'

and your answers could be:

'central hull top'
'central hull bottom'
'far left wing'
'middle left wing'
'far right wing'
'middle right wing'

and so on, through each weapon slot. Even the hulls with the same number of slots as weapons would benefit as you could re-arrange your weapons before you fill them all up.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1300083210' post='36505']
What would be neat was if you could do this from net-7.org, which would be quite easy - a lot easier than the signatures that Slayer set up a while back. I'll have a word with him, maybe you would be given your weapon slots, a model of the ship with all possible slots and you assign them.

It'd take a bit of work to set up all the models but it would be a neat little toy.
[/quote]

We would need some heavy 3D code to be able to achieve this properly, if you want people to be able to put them wherever they want, being able to see a representation of the ship (would more than likely have to be in 3D) and where you want each gun (x,y & z) not easy to do on a website without some 3D modelling coders.

Creating custom positions aswell would be a pain if you ask me, it is ambitious and WOULD be good if it could be done, but i doubt i could do this on my own.

It may be possible and much much easier to implement and give people a set of layouts per ship style and make sure the guns are positioned right for each layout.

The Sig code isnt that complex to be honest, this is a lot more complex from a web code point of view.

And just so you all know, im NOT against the idea, just trying to be realistic :(

This should be fairly easy... well at least the having them in certain spots on the ship. I know when we were just getting the server going and there were tons of issues, one of them was the positioning of the weapons. On some classes all the weapons would go to the same spot. It was sorted out fairly quickly although I'm unaware of how it was done.

I also think as far as the hard coded portion it is set by the graphics as to where they can be placed on a ship. If you look at the w3d files there are actual positions assigned, same as with NPC's in stations. It was only the order that they went that we could control. I'm sure like TB said though that this can be done eventually.

Being able to arrange them completely custom on x/y/z would be awesome, but I don't think it needs to be that complex. Personally I'd be happy with the NPC option tienbau posted, as long as it lets me move the primary TT weapon slot off the dern nose of the ship. lol

The JE's are actually okay, even though at Master, the weapons under the wing aren't the same distance from the center, it's the poor TT that really has it bad with one on the nose, one under one wing, and two under the other.

I'm glad this subject has been brought up again. I've asked about moving the TT mounts twice during the past year. Balancing the hard points is all I wanted to match the locations on the TS hull. IIRC their number one mount was moved so they are all under the wings and never on top of the nose. Edited by cpwings

I would love to see this happen but again I ask is this [b]Client[/b] side or [b]Server[/b] side data change?

The main reason I ask this is, as I have said in another thread, I want to start to attempt to make Mod's for the game whether or not they are small ones or big ones.

I know it is possible, every game I have seen MMO or not, can be changed or updated visually.